Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

audiobus for LIVE performing

edited September 2014 in General App Discussion

I've read a lot of posts here as I try to use audiobus for LIVE gigging. I have been using audiobus as I create backing tracks for my music (I play guitar) --- and it all works fabulously. I also now use audiobus for live gigs. I have found some effects that are low-latency that work well in a live situation.

My setup is: iPad Mini + Focusrite iTrack Dock (I use the guitar line-in and MIC input)

My questions:

1) I'd be curious to hear from others if you are using audiobus for live performances. And what apps you find work with 'near-zero' latency.?.

2) With the iTrack Dock --- I wish to use separate inputs (line-in for guitar, MIC in for vocals) in 2 separate audiobus lines. I put the guitar through different effects and the MIC through basic reverb only.
Q: how do I assign the different inputs ? Audiobus inputs don't seem to see the separate line-in and MIC inputs?
Q: does anyone know of a mixer-only output app where I can mix the 2 inputs ?

Ohhh - also FYI - I have read that some people find the iPad gets very hot. Mine does too. But, I bought a small table fan and when it is blowing over the iPad, it stays nice and cool. Barely warm. You just need to move some air over the iPad. I use my system for 3 hours gigs (no stops) and I have no more heat worries.

Thanks!
Blu

Comments

• edited September 2014

1) I'm really hoping that the iPad Air 2 has a bump in specs that will allow more apps to play nice together with the 128 buffer setting.

2) When you're scrolling through the input list and choosing the iTrack Dock, you should see a little 'i' next to it. Pressing this will open up an option allowing you to select channel 1, channel 2, or channels 1 and 2 together. You can therefore select a different channel for both of your Audiobus signal chains. (This works well when recording into Cubasis!)

• Thx. Will check this.
    Yes - I also have my setting on the 128 buffer setting.

Any recommendations for an output app that does live mixing -- to set the levels from the 2 input sources?

I guess I could open a DAW app but that seems unnecessary...

• I don't think there is one - a few people have been suggesting that one could be built into a future version of Audiobus. In the meantime, opening up the most lightweight DAW you have is probably the best thing you can do. The most resource-light one is probably Multitrack DAW.

Tell me more about your setup for gigs. What apps are you using, and are you just plugging your iPad into an amp or the PA system or what? I've been thinking about getting out there eventually and trying to gig.

• Hi --- I am doing 2 things right now as I try to transition 100% to an iPad. Let me diverge for a moment and back-up to what I used to use...

First, I play solo acoustic guitar. No singing -- just talking through the MIC (to the audiences).

Previously I had a pedal board with the following chain:

~~ GTR >> sonic expander >> EQ >> reverb >> looper (Digitech)

The sound was fabulous - mostly because of the sonic shaping and reverb. But this was heavy and clunky. My MIC input would go into the looper and be mixed (there's a mixing knob for the MIC input).

Today:

~~ GTR (& MIC) >> iTrack Dock >> Amp -------- plus:

~~ iPhone >> Amp (2nd input)

~~ Airturn 4-pedal bluetooth pedals (very light plastic)

The way I eliminated all the pedals is that I now created full backing tracks for my songs. I do this offline. I store all of them in iTunes. But the app I found (literally the only app I now of) to sequence my tracks and control them handsfree (ONETRACK) does not yet support audiobus. So I can't run it on the iPad at the same time as I put my GTR through. But the developer says he will eventually support audiobus --- and that will eliminate the need for my iPhone.

I need a "mixing app" to take the GTR, MIC and backing tracks -- and mix them for live output. Today, I just output on the system bus because I have enough inputs on my amp for a separate MIC and stereo RCA inputs. But I want to eliminate those...

Apps I use on the iPad:

~~ For offline rhythm track creation:

~~~~ Music Studio & Meteor (for recording, or for drum sources)

~~~~ DrumsXD (for drum sources)

~~~~ AUFX: Space (for reverb, etc)

~~ For LIVE gigging:

~~~~ Crystalline (for shimmer delay and reverb)

Crystalline has, to my ear, no noticeable latency. I have tried AUFX and it has quite noticeable latency - not good for live use. I also tried MasterFX which has only slightly noticeable delay. To me, Crystalline is enough.

I hope this helps? Sorry about the spacing in the text...

-Blu

• If you just have two inputs, you can put each one thru a different AUFX: effect in your audiobus chain. They all have MIDI controllable volume levels, etc and are lightweight on CPU. And then either control them both in an app like MIDI designer, or an external MIDI controller.

This may not give as much control as a DAW, but also probably would use less CPU resources.

• I just saw your additional post. Wow, way too complicated for me! :)

One thing I can add: AUFX apps add about 10ms latency with the limiter. You can turn this off in settings and it helps.

• "This might do the trick..."

Thanks !!! Do you use this? Do you happen to know if it works as an output app on audiobus - and can take two separate input chains?

• "This might do the trick..."

ohhh - I just watched one of the instructional videos. This doesn't work for me. I need a 2-channel mixer at the output.

I'd like one chain to be for guitar into effects, into mixer.
    The other chain would be MIC into effects, into mixer.

If anyone knows of an app that does this -- thanks in advance.!.

-blu

• Ahh. No, I don't have it, but it's been on my wish list for some time.