Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Diary of My Experience with the OP-1 Field

This is sort of like a public "diary" of what I've found out and discovered and my initial thoughts about the OP-1 Field. This is not just for myself but hopefully is helpful to others who have an OP-1 Field, are considering buying one, or just want to see me succeed or fail. :lol: (Kidding with that last one.)

I haven't really played around with my OP-1 Field yet. Instead, I've been watching tutorial videos to learn how to use it. It took me a while to find a good and concise "what does this button do?" type video that wasn't from some "influencer", that cut out the useless shite and got straight to the point.

This one above helped me immensely. Sure Crewston is using an OG OP-1, but my Field works basically the same, just with additional bonuses like better audio quality, stereo output for synths and fx and samples, etc.

Then I came across this video, which is a silly "making a beat in 10 minutes" type video, establishes a basic simplistic workflow in the OP-1 and OP-1 Field that anyone can pick up.

Gabe isn't some "wacky" youtuber making exagerrated vocal timbres. He's normal, not to worry, lol.

I'm still digging through Son Wu's videos, but this one especially impressed the hell out of me.

And here are some useful playlists from his channel for info and inspo...

After supper (in my timezone), I'll be finally trying to create something in my OP-1 Field. Most likely some manner of Ambient as that's easy enough for me to pick up. Will continue to report in this thread what I discover and eventually post creations I make in the OP-1 Field. Cheers. ;)

Comments

• Looks like you’re having a lot of fun, man. That’s awesome. I hope you get your bearings and start having fun making fun ha

• @animalelder said:
    Looks like you’re having a lot of fun, man. That’s awesome. I hope you get your bearings and start having fun making fun ha

Lol, I hope so too. I come to find out the OP-1 Field is a shedload easier to work with than I anticipated once I learned how to access everything. Just gotta figure out how to navigate the tape (I think shift+arrows for slightly quicker navigation) and how to set loop points and the like on said tape. Luckily I have my little booklet that came in the OP-1 Field that can teach me how to do so. ;) Gonna skim through that and pray I don't succumb to a food coma (sleep) as reading on paper usually deeply relaxes me. 🤪

• Sun Wu's videos are great, he does a good job of showing you how everything works without much fapping about.

Loop on tape is set with buttons 1-3 above the keyboard. Arrows + Play will FF or RR faster than normal. Stop + Arrows will take you to the beginning or end of the tape.

• @Tarekith said:
    Sun Wu's videos are great, he does a good job of showing you how everything works without much fapping about.

Loop on tape is set with buttons 1-3 above the keyboard. Arrows + Play will FF or RR faster than normal. Stop + Arrows will take you to the beginning or end of the tape.

Brilliant! Thanks for the info. :) Now I think once I stop reclining on my bed, I can go to my desk and get to having some fun!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@animalelder said:
    Looks like you’re having a lot of fun, man. That’s awesome. I hope you get your bearings and start having fun making fun ha

Lol, I hope so too. I come to find out the OP-1 Field is a shedload easier to work with than I anticipated once I learned how to access everything. Just gotta figure out how to navigate the tape (I think shift+arrows for slightly quicker navigation) and how to set loop points and the like on said tape. Luckily I have my little booklet that came in the OP-1 Field that can teach me how to do so. ;) Gonna skim through that and pray I don't succumb to a food coma (sleep) as reading on paper usually deeply relaxes me. 🤪

What I am gathering from these videos, is that if you have an understanding of all the functions and a game plan for executing what idea you have…it may be fairly easy to get along with the op-1f

• @MrSmileZ said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@animalelder said:

What I am gathering from these videos, is that if you have an understanding of all the functions and a game plan for executing what idea you have…it may be fairly easy to get along with the op-1f

Exactly, and I have that game plan. I just needed to become familiar with the functions first. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@animalelder said:

Exactly, and I have that game plan. I just needed to become familiar with the functions first. :)

Sounds like you are on your way sir!

• @MrSmileZ said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@animalelder said:

Sounds like you are on your way sir!

Sure am. Recorded a simple Ambient jam in my OP-1 Field...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/58650/jwm-not-too-bad-first-attempt-at-something-in-the-op-1f/p1?new=1

...and then transferred it to iPad by recording the final product into Logic Pro and letting Mastering Assistant take care of the rest.

So, my first impressions of the OP-1 Field. You know how you start playing with a piece of hardware or a new app and can tell right away if you gel with it or not? Well...

...make 'em wait for it...

..THE OP-1 FIELD IS FUN! 🤩 It's everything I expected it to be, dreamed it would be, after all these years. (Oh shut up yes that's cheesy and corny af. Well, I had GAS for the og OP-1 for years, and the OP-1 Field for a year and a half.) I haven't even dug deep enough into it to produce anything of substance yet (I just know this will end up in the "That's What She Said" thread, rofl). A simple rubbish little Ambient experiment was just to get the feel for it, and after spending so much time watching videos, using the OP-1 Field was all like second nature to me.

Oh by the way, if I had one complaint, it's that you can't access files via iPad USB-C on the OP-1 Field. That requires a desktop or laptop. Luckily, I don't need to download anything extra to access files via my Windows laptop like I would have had to on a Mac.

Anyways, I wonder if I can record into my iPhone via camera connection kit. 🤔

• Okay, this next example really isn't worthy to be posted to Soundcloud as it's not really a full track and is nothing really special, lol. I crapped it out in 30 minutes tops and deleted the tape after recording it in LP4i, lol. A friend of mine wanted an example from the OP-1 Field with drums, bass, synth, and percussion.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jvz8ajs75ijgbydbyjez5/Move-It.m4a?rlkey=gh85n1hx0hce8fgrd10cztutn&dl=0

I used Endless sequencer for the bass and lead (the lead has COW on it, rofl), the gorilla drummers for the drums and percussion, nitro for the master effect, recorded it into LP4i, used mastering assistant, and had trouble exporting it until I went into "full project" mode rather than "selected area" mode, which makes no LOGICal sense to me, lol. 😂

(It's funny, I had more of a hassle exporting from LP4i than I did crafting a short example in my OP-1 Field, the latter of which wasn't really a hassle to me personally, lol.)

Yep, the OP-1 Field certainly is an amazing thingamabob. My "new best friend". Getting ideas out there with ease. It does force me to slow down a little and take my time with it and to think more clearly and concisely. But since it doesn't connect to the internet, I can put down my iPhone and iPad and just focus on thinking more clearly and concisely and focus on the music. I think being addicted to being online was what was causing my latest creative block.

• edited December 2023

Seems like you’re having a lot of fun and it shows. Honestly it’s making me re-consider getting the device, or more realistically a used OP-1.

But as far as features that entice me, it’s hard for the Field to compare with Polyend Play+ which can send out 14 audio tracks via usb for stemming and further effects.

• @animalelder said:
    Seems like you’re having a lot of fun and it shows. Honestly it’s making me re-consider getting the device, or more realistically a used OP-1.

A used OP-1 sounds like a good plan to me. :) Just note that it doesn't have Mother reverb, nor Dimension synth, nor a cleaner audio signal path compared to the OP-1 Field. However honestly, the og OP-1 is still an amazing device that will yield ages of fun and exploration. Red Means Recording's "Aquamarine" was the main inspo back in 2018 that gave me GAS for the og OP-1, four years before the Field was released.

If you do decide to go the OP-1 Field route however, get it through Zzounds. About $180/month after tax, and no interest added. If you have a PC or Mac, you can transfer files and install firmware easily. Can't install firmware via the iPad (I tried, lol). But you can definitely record into LP4i via USB-C and flip mastering assistant on. Just hook the OP-1 Field up to the USB-C port of your iPad, open LP4i (it instantly recognises the OP-1 Field, so just start a new tracks-based project)), and voila! Instant magic. 🤩

• But it is a 2-track audio over USB? I mean...it's better than none (Native Instruments needs to get their shit together with Maschine+).

I guess I am not familiar enough with Mother or Dimension...and isn't clean audio slightly the opposite of what we want? Lol

• No the improvements to the signal path and the new reverb and synth are VERY welcome.

• @Tarekith Thanks, it’s weirdly reassuring to hear that from you now that I’ve seen your YouTube videos and heard you speak haha..

• edited December 2023

Nice collection of links @jwmmakerofmusic Thanks for doing this. There is also a really nice web based audio slicing tool which is helpful for cutting up samples to get into your OP-1 Field:
    https://digichain.brianbar.net
    Just use it to edit and modify your sounds before using the TE tool to transfer them via their Drum Utility web app:
    https://teenage.engineering/apps/drum-utility

• edited December 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    ... Yep, the OP-1 Field certainly is an amazing thingamabob. My "new best friend". Getting ideas out there with ease. It does force me to slow down a little and take my time with it and to think more clearly and concisely. But since it doesn't connect to the internet, I can put down my iPhone and iPad and just focus on thinking more clearly and concisely and focus on the music.

I‘ve had the same experience with crude Adat positioning versus DAW timeline.
    You have to keep focus on the track’s audio (instead of screen graphics) which automatically makes you more attentive and put more effort in details.
    (Snip and exchange small parts would be a rather annoying experience.)

Once you get used to the tool chest, it just works effortlessly.

• @animalelder Well, as @Tarekith mentioned, the updates in the Field are very much welcome. :) I mean, if you want Lofi, you can select Porta Cassette (analogue lofi) or Mini Disk (digital lofi) when starting a new project. :)

@echoopera Thanks mate. :) Those are excellent tips. I was about to say "Aw man, I don't have a PC", and then I remembered, "Wait a tick, I do have a laptop now". :lol:

@Telefunky I 100% agree. It's like working in a pre-DAW studio like Karlheinz, making sure to put effort in the details of his audio experiments with magnetic tape. Then again, sometimes mistakes occur but turn out to be happy accidents afterall.

For instance, Vince Guaraldi's famous "Linus and Lucy" song (the Snoopy song) has a minute mistake Vince made on the piano if you listen close enough to the recording, but it doesn't detact from the vibe and mood of the incredible performance. If the mistake is so minor that nobody will notice except the keenest of ears, who cares? This is the attitude I bring to the OP-1 Field. Sometimes I want there to be imperfections in my music. Not glaring horrible mistakes, but slight imperfections, wabi-sabi. :)

• Don’t forget about op1.fun
    I guess it also work for OP1F

• @H34rtc0r3 said:
    Don’t forget about op1.fun
    I guess it also work for OP1F

I was just about to ask if anyone knew where "that one website with resources for OP-1 went", so I guess our minds are on the similar wavelength. Cheers mate and thanks :)

• Only downside is that some of the older kits and samples are mono only.

• @Tarekith said:
    Only downside is that some of the older kits and samples are mono only.

That's okay. :) Not a problem for me. That's why "panning" was implemented into the OP-1 Field. ;) (My question - would the mono samples work fine in the OP-1 Field?)

• Mono works fine. They’re just mono. 🤪

• edited December 2023

I can’t wait for you to discover the gray knob in the Tape machine @jwmmakerofmusic

It’s gonna blow your ambient music mindset 😉

Shhhh…I’ll say no more. Turn turn turn and see where you go sonically 🙏🏼

• edited December 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, this next example really isn't worthy to be posted to Soundcloud as it's not really a full track and is nothing really special, lol. I crapped it out in 30 minutes tops and deleted the tape after recording it in LP4i, lol. A friend of mine wanted an example from the OP-1 Field with drums, bass, synth, and percussion.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jvz8ajs75ijgbydbyjez5/Move-It.m4a?rlkey=gh85n1hx0hce8fgrd10cztutn&dl=0

I used Endless sequencer for the bass and lead (the lead has COW on it, rofl), the gorilla drummers for the drums and percussion, nitro for the master effect, recorded it into LP4i, used mastering assistant, and had trouble exporting it until I went into "full project" mode rather than "selected area" mode, which makes no LOGICal sense to me, lol. 😂

(It's funny, I had more of a hassle exporting from LP4i than I did crafting a short example in my OP-1 Field, the latter of which wasn't really a hassle to me personally, lol.)

Yep, the OP-1 Field certainly is an amazing thingamabob. My "new best friend". Getting ideas out there with ease. It does force me to slow down a little and take my time with it and to think more clearly and concisely. But since it doesn't connect to the internet, I can put down my iPhone and iPad and just focus on thinking more clearly and concisely and focus on the music. I think being addicted to being online was what was causing my latest creative block.

Dude, that was the start of an incredible track and it is a mini showcase of the amazing things to come

Http://TEoperator.com

Hope that helps^ :smiley:

• @jwmmakerofmusic
    Thank you for gathering all those links!

• @echoopera Sometimes when it comes to drums, especially kick drums, you'll want them to be mono in the mix anyways. :) Then again, I can use the gorillas to record each drum pattern one at a time and have, say, the claps panned slightly one way or the other, and the hats panned slightly one way or another. Easy peasy.

Oooo, what's the gray knob do? ;) I'll find out, lol.

So, I wonder, when I hook the OP-1 Field up to my laptop and pop it into disk mode, will loading the drums be as easy as drag-and-drop? (I have a Windows laptop, so the OP-1 Field seems to connect without the need for an extra utility).

@dreamcartel That absolutely helps! And thank you mate. :) It's just a "throwaway" track. I plan to start my more "serious" work today in my OP-1 Field. (I put "serious" in quotes since I'm not picky or choosy or serious about having fun, lol.)

@abf Of course mate. :) So much excellent material on Youtube, and if I have anything I'm stumbling on, Son Wu's got the answers. I'll be watching his LFO video again to get a feel for how those work as they're a bit of a mystery to me currently. I highly doubt I'll need to worry about using LFOs for my first track, which will be lofi minimal house (that's the best way I can describe what I hear in my head).

• I spend a lot of time with the LFOs, they're key. There are a lot of great sounds with an LFO modulating sample parameters. Go crazy with it. This thread has inspired me to write a track on the Op-1 today.

• @abf said:
    I spend a lot of time with the LFOs, they're key. There are a lot of great sounds with an LFO modulating sample parameters. Go crazy with it.

I sure will. :) I just saw this video where a guy used an LFO to simulate sidechain pumping. That was so cool!

This thread has inspired me to write a track on the Op-1 today.

NICE! :) I'm glad.

• Don't forget you combine two finger drum patterns at the same time, that's why there's two gorillas drumming. Great for layering things up and doing fills here and there.

• @Tarekith said:
    Don't forget you combine two finger drum patterns at the same time, that's why there's two gorillas drumming. Great for layering things up and doing fills here and there.

OH NICE! I didn't realise I could do that mate, lol. That's actually very handy and useful. :)