Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let's discuss templates you'd like to see that emulate favorite loopers

edited November 2023 in Loopy Pro

I am exploring the possibility of putting together some Loopy Pro projects that emulate favorite looper hardware. Do you have a favorite to discuss?

Comments

• Oh that’s a good question. The 505 is definitely there but I think those ElectronHarmonix pedals (4500, etc) are cool too.

• @HotStrange said:
    Oh that’s a good question. The 505 is definitely there but I think those ElectronHarmonix pedals (4500, etc) are cool too.

If you could say what aspect of the pedal is important that would be helpful. I’d like to understand what part of the workflow /operation people think is important.

• @espiegel123 said:

@HotStrange said:
    Oh that’s a good question. The 505 is definitely there but I think those ElectronHarmonix pedals (4500, etc) are cool too.

If you could say what aspect of the pedal is important that would be helpful. I’d like to understand what part of the workflow /operation people think is important.

I think a big part of it is just the hands on control but the reverse and loop speed aspects are cool. I’ve only used one a handful of times though. It was an old friends, never owned one so I’m not super experienced with it. I just remember really liking it.

And I think renowned looper Reggie Watts uses or has used one.

• wimwim
    edited November 2023

If you really want to twist your brain up into knots @espiegel123 - look into the Boomerang pedals - the original and current. I launched into trying to replicate those and gave up after some time. I'm not even close by an order of magnitude to your knowledge of and patience with actions in Loopy Pro though.

There are no particular features of the 'Rang workflow that I find essential. It was just an intellectual exercise for me.

• To clarify, I am interested in hearing from people that have looper pedals that they use and love and whose workflow they want to keep.

• edited November 2023

Well, I us a simple Boss RC-1, that one is a barebone looper. And the Digitech Trio+, that is my looper of choice. You created some functionality already with the RC-500-esque project.

The extra functionality is that the Trio+ generates a drum loop and a bass loop, based on the chord progression you learn the pedal (= the band). The more dynamic the strumming of the chords is, the more notes the bass plays.

In Loopy Pro this could be simulated with integrating Ibassist in the project, instead of learning (playing) the chords, you program the chords. And from Ibassis you generate a beat from a Lumbeat drummer. This will have the same result in the end. I agree this all has not so much to do with looper functionality, the looper of the Trio+ is simplistic.

What could be done in the RC-500-esque project, is an extra rhythm track for bass guitar. Play the loop yourself (with a -1 octave EFX, or with a darker guitar sound), or just import a bass loop, or record the output of Ibassist.

And there is more:

• The Trio+ pedal has sequencing capability. You can program 5 different parts of a song, and put them in a chain (any order is possible) to play a whole song.
    • Alt time is a button for half tempo if the song is fast, and double tempo if the song is slower.
    • The drum sound can be played with two intensities, normal drum and exited drum (lot of cymbals/open hats).
    • Simple bass is for selecting a more musical bass loop, or only playing the root note of the chords.
  • @raabje : thanks for the detailed info. Does the trio figure out the bass part from your audio?

• edited November 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    @raabje : thanks for the detailed info. Does the trio figure out the bass part from your audio?

Yes, you teach the pedal a chord sequence (major, minor or dominant chords). And after this step the pedal create a bass guitar loop in the right key, or at least it follows the chord notes.

The more you strum when you teach, the more wild, busy or funky the bass note pattern will be. This is also true for longer chord sequences. To keep it simple, just play chords evenly, and only downwards on the strings, and keep it shorter.

Also there is a drum pattern selected. The pedal guesses the best rhythm pattern that fits the strumming. Style and genre can be changed aftewards. I think the samples change when you change style.

And, when you teach the pedal your song (or part), no audio is recorded. It is only used to extract the chord info and rhythm pattern. When you have a beat and bass you like, you start recording the guitar.

• @raabje : how does the loop recording and sequencing work? I think the bass and drum accompaniment is beyond what I’d be able to tackle. I’ve put together a few ways of sequencing loops I could incorporate.

• edited November 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    @raabje : how does the loop recording and sequencing work? I think the bass and drum accompaniment is beyond what I’d be able to tackle. I’ve put together a few ways of sequencing loops I could incorporate.

Yes, the bass and drum loop functionality of the Trio+ is too complex to fit in a project. Ibassist and a Lumbeat drummer and a looper would come close.

The looper of the Trio+ is very basic, just record a loop, then layer new loops on top. You can erase one loop. That's it.

Sequencing is a matter of putting part 1 to 5 in a specific order (with repeats possible) and press play. It plays the drum, bass and guitar loop that are stored in a part.

Anyway, as a thought, maybe this could work inside the RC-500 project, or other looper project?

• A button for half time or double time.
    • A switch to choose between drum beat 1 and 2: 1 is normal, and 2 is high intensity. You have to load these drum loop files yourself off course. For example an export from a Lumbeat drummer.
    • A separate bass track, or bass loop donut
    • A switch to choose efx chain for the incoming audio (bus A/bus B )
  • @raabje : what is the mechanism for setting the loop order on the trio?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @raabje : what is the mechanism for setting the loop order on the trio?

I think you mean the order of sequenced parts? This is in the manual:

And if you don't play a whole sequence, all you have to do is press a part button to switch, and then the next part plays after a whole cycle. This switching of parts is also possible with a foot pedal.

Maybe I misunderstand your question.

• one more idea for a looper, if possible?

A slider or knob to change the tempo, in real time. The BPM is set to the first loop you record. And with this knob/slider you can adjust the tempo a bit, or more (as far as the time stretching allows this).

• I find it more convenient to use buttons for that. I have nudge + and - buttons for 1 bpm and 10 bpm increments. A knob will work but the stretching isn’t as smooth during the transition.

• edited December 2023

@wim said:
    I find it more convenient to use buttons for that. I have nudge + and - buttons for 1 bpm and 10 bpm increments. A knob will work but the stretching isn’t as smooth during the transition.

Okay, thanks, so the functionality is there already. Nudge buttons would work too.

And I have one more, with the Trio+ in mind:

A kind of bare bone sequencing or preset pattern playing would be nice.

Like 3 different parts. You load up a bass line and drum track for each part. For example exported from Lumbeat. Or you record this yourself. A verse, a chorus, a bridge. Or part A/B/C for more instrumental music.

This parts are a group, combined with a guitar loop donut. While you play and record, you can press a button 1/2/3 (4/5?) to swich parts. Or press a button on the floor board.

Combined with maybe an intro and fade out and stop, you have a whole track available in one project.

Just a thought.. I cannot (yet) program this myself.

• edited December 2023

Please rebuild the Octatrack in Loopy Pro, but better. Thanks. 😊

• @slicetwo said:

Please describe the workflow and features you would want to see. Assume I know nothing about an octatrack.

• @espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

Please describe the workflow and features you would want to see. Assume I know nothing about an octatrack.

I was mostly just being silly, to be honest, since I’m always holding out for a MK3 that builds off the new stuff in the DT and adds some polyphony. I wouldn’t even begin to know where to start with it. Ignore me :)

• Hi, my favourite hardware looper is the boss rc600 but my favourite software looper is quantiloop pro

• @ginestasjack said:
    Hi, my favourite hardware looper is the boss rc600 but my favourite software looper is quantiloop pro

Please describe the features/workflow that you wold like a template to have.