Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favorite iPad DAW

13»

Comments

• I use it because it does what I need so easily and I really find the interface to be intuitive for my needs . I simply do not have room on a 16 gb drive to have more than one daw and Cubasis is simply laid out as far as my taste go. Perhaps that will help you to understand. If it works. Great And it does in fact, And with state saving and audiobus along with jam up flying hagis and many synths both in and out of Cubasis It is the cats ass!

• @Tritonman2 Gotcha. Makes sense to me, different workflows and different devices. Honestly I'm glad that we have options, hope that we get more as time goes on.

• Yes Darby if each of us did not use the apps that work best for our all around needs how much fun would it be, many options for many users and needs exactly. My set up is reliable and therefore gets used.

• edited September 2014

Thanks for the advice. It's too bad they don't have matrix sequencers, but I'm going to get MTS for now. I'm going to wait for BM because from what I've heard, BM3 is right around the corner. Someone said it's coming out early 2015.

• I don't use Cubasis all that much, Auria is my DAW of choice, but one thing I do really like in Cubasis is the Micrologue synth - It took me ages to even realise it was in there, but once I did I discovered it's pretty awesome.

• edited September 2014

@richardyot I didn't know Cubasis had the Micrologue synth. Thanks for pointing it out. I found it and you are right, it's a great synth!

• edited September 2014

I like Cubasis for an all in one audio/ MIDI multi timberland scratch pad. I like feeding MIDI in from other sequencers then editing the actual notes and arrangements and augmenting within the Cubasis environment... which is pretty flexible.

Auria definitely makes me feel more in control when just doing audio ... obviously no MIDI. I do a bit of voice only work with students... and Auria on an iPad with the Apogee Mic is an amazing thing! Maybe MIDI might come to Auria... but who knows , it might complicate an already great tool!

But someone has got to take up the challenge of taming the awful state of MIDI routing in iOS... Particularly with regards to sync clock! Please AB?

• edited September 2014

@Itf3 I agree with you on the MIDI sync clock. Especially with Korg Gadget. You mentioned voice work with students. Do you use the iPad to teach music?

• I use Auria as my primary DAW, and have all the others as well except for Cubase, but I still use GB for a lot of simple stuff, quick backing tracks, etc. I must have deleted and reinstalled GB 50 times, thinking I was done with it after hitting yet another dead end in it, but its just so simple and fast for some stuff its hard to give up and the price is right. Main issue is it takes a ton of space, about 500MB for the app and another 1GB with all the downloads IIRC. Doing serious work in Auria will suck up even more space.

• edited September 2014

@mkell424 said:

Thanks for the advice. It's too bad they don't have matrix sequencers, but I'm going to get MTS for now. I'm going to wait for BM because from what I've heard, BM3 is right around the corner. Someone said it's coming out early 2015.

Is MTS what you really want? Then you should get it. If Beatmaker is what you want, get it, it's $20, then get 3 when it comes out. The 4 months you're NOT making music in the way you want is worth so much more than $20.

The answer to your question of what's the best DAW? The one you're actually using. No music being produced with an app seems to be a common missing feature! ;-)

I had the good fortune to be in the car with a very well known drummer for about an hour last week, he runs a very nice studio at his home to do drum tracks remotely for others as well as produce full albums for artists, and he said, to me, "The gear is so good now that it really doesn't matter. Better to buy the basics that you need and pour your extra money into your own musicianship, which will never get outdated and will serve you better forever."

So grab whatever DAW you feel is best now and have fun making music, if you change your mind later then you're out a very small amount. (In relative terms to buying desktop DAW or hardware).

• Cubasis has a simple workflow that will be familiar to anyone who has ever used a desktop DAW. BM2 maybe powerful but is so convoluted to learn that I never use it so wouldn't really know.

• Bm2 has shown that apps can offer many desktop-like features efficiently, Auria that pro plugins can be used on an iDevice, Cubasis and Gadget that you can have a good UI.

But if you want a good experience overall, then too bad.

Frankly, in your place I wouldn't buy any other DAW unless you feel that something is impossible to do in Cubasis. At this point you will be just trading one annoyance for another and will be getting less music done. It's really draining having all those apps, switching between them all the time because of missing or crappy features.

• @mrufino1
    "The gear is so good now that it really doesn't matter. Better to buy the basics that you need and pour your extra money into your own musicianship, which will never get outdated and will serve you better forever."

Love this.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@mrufino1
    "The gear is so good now that it really doesn't matter. Better to buy the basics that you need and pour your extra money into your own musicianship, which will never get outdated and will serve you better forever."

Love this.

Me too, very wise words from him. He needed a ride to pick up his car at the airport after his flight got rerouted, and it was a great opportunity for a cool conversation.

• all i here is samplers samplers make your music from scratch i use no wav files in cubasis only midi, it pushes me to work harder...

• Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm going to keep learning what I've got (Cubasis).

I'm like the kid at the candy store because everything is so cheap. I'm used to spending hundreds of dollars buying plugins on a Mac. I think we've gotten to the point where the processing power of mobile CPUs is so great we don't need a desktop or laptop anymore. I've been listening to soundcloud recordings made from iPads and the sound quality is excellent. It's amazing how far technology has progressed from the begining of the digital age in the 80's.