Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Benn Jordan Reviews The Expressive E Osmose

I know some here have already received their Expressive E, but this is a nice overview and some initial impressions.

Comments

• I love mine.

• I would definitely like one of these. The physical modeling on the string sounds Benn played didn't sound anywhere near as convincing as Swam stuff, but I would hardly expect that any one dev is going to do all kinds of physical modeling equally well. The biggest problem with Osmose is that it seems you pretty much need a PhD to make any of your own patches. Everyone complains about this. But yes, as a playing experience, it seems many love it.

• edited June 2023

i think the internal sound engine is a bit weak to be honest. Also why doesn't it just work as a MPE controller.... meaning plug and play.

Jordan (bit of a noob) click bait 'game changer' title is just wrong. A year from now when midi 2.0 is really a thing and the new midi 2.0 controllers are out, there will be other options and way cheaper.

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    i think the internal sound engine is a bit weak to be honest. Also why doesn't it just work as a MPE controller.... meaning plug and play.

Yeah I was a bit surprised that Benn seemed to be loving those strings at the start. I thought they sounded cheesy as hell!

• edited June 2023

@Danny_Mammy said:

Jordan (bit of a noob) click bait 'game changer' title is just wrong. A year from now when midi 2.0 is really a thing and the new midi 2.0 controllers are out, there will be other options and way cheaper.

It does work as an MPE controller out of the box. Including for hardware MPE synths since MPE comes out of the MIDI DIN output (unless you tell it not to). Any fiddling around you might want to do to settings that alter some details of the MPE output are just to suit personal taste in terms of things like sensitivity, or to adjust things to fit the quirks of certain other MPE synths, which is not the Osmoses fault (eg reduce number of MPE MIDI channels used so that it works with the Sequential OB6 and Prophet 6). Plus at least you can adjust these things ont he Osmose itself, unlike things like ROLI seoabards where you have to adjust settings via an app.

As for the future, its entirely unsafe to claim there will for sure be cheaper, expressive MIDI 2.0-driven controllers around in a years time. Companies have to take a risk to develop new types of controllers and many are risk-averse, its hard to predict who will take the leap. If the Osmose is a big success then its more likely others will follow, so beware of self-defeating prophecies. Just look at how long its taking to even get polyphoinic aftertouch into more synths and controllers! Likewise the timescales for MIDI 2.0 adoption are uncertain, there are many moving parts and we dont know how quickly DAWs will support it, or how much of it will be adopted early given the large number of different things that MIDI 2.0 brings on paper. Eg the first MIDI 2.0 devices might, for all we know, focus more on autodiscovery stuff rather than the massive amounts of high resolution per-note expression on offer.

• edited June 2023

For Osmose owners who have the work ethic and courage

Osmose Interfacing & EaganMatrix Preset Programming Cookbook Version 1.7
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h6gR0KPOOOH_O_Q3az4uB8x4jZnLNC-V/view?fbclid=IwAR2nCiVrNOOmy4fc7Pr5T10y7cXu6RkkJZCZQwewwodbYgxZZqg18OEm-Uo

• @Danny_Mammy said:

Midi 2.0 and MPE are 2 different / separate things

I wonder if it would be easy to implement an extra expression range , touching the key top or bottom , maybe it would be complex or not easy to use it

As for the sound, form what I've heard in YT videos , it sounds amazing (wish I could afford it)