Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Seaboard Help Pls. (Resolved, I think)

edited June 2023 in Hardware

Hi, fellow Roli Rollers. I have set up the Seaboard and I can get individual instrument sounds out of SWAM, but the 5x parameters don’t seem to be operative. Still, ikm happy to get any sound out of it whatsoever and it does look cool.

Very possibly something must be done on SWAM to enable parameters. Roli is not on the list of Roli midi presets.

Btw, that’s a Samsung Frame tv. Their library allegedly offers 1400 famous and not so famous artworks for around $5 a month. Of course your own goes up, too. I love real poster art but the pros of changing images regularly with mat choices and brightness adjustment outweigh the calm passive energy of a piece of paper.

Comments

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hi, fellow Roli Rollers. I have set up the Seaboard and I can get individual instrument sounds out of SWAM, but the 5x parameters don’t seem to be operative. Still, ikm happy to get any sound out of it whatsoever and it does look cool.

Btw, that’s a Samsung Frame tv. Their library allegedly offers 1400 famous and not so famous artworks for around $5 a month. Of course your own goes up, too. I love real poster art but the pros of changing images regularly with mat choices and brightness adjustment outweigh the calm passive energy of a piece of paper.

Glad you're taking her for a spin! Probably your best out of the box experience will come from playing around with Roli Noise.

For Swam instruments, you have to find the midi settings that match your controller. Click 'midi' on the top right. Now click 'presets' on top center, now scroll down the list and choose 'seaboard'

• @gavinski, I didn’t see Seaboard. I’ll look again.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @gavinski, I didn’t see Seaboard. I’ll look again.

It's called Seaboard Default

• Thanks @Gavinski. There’s a word for not seeing what’s in front of your nose like Poe’s Purloined letter.
    It’s called scotoma. I’m gonna continue my exploration. It’s slow going but I’ll get there. The learning curve for playing that surface is gonna take some work. Lol, just being able to play a chromatic scale took some minutes to figure out (old brains, after all).

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Gavinski. There’s a word for not seeing what’s in front of your nose like Poe’s Purloined letter.
    It’s called scotoma. I’m gonna continue my exploration. It’s slow going but I’ll get there. The learning curve for playing that surface is gonna take some work. Lol, just being able to play a chromatic scale took some minutes to figure out (old brains, after all).

For someone like you who has played piano so long and is so comfortable with that, yes - it will br tough I imagine. But hopefully also amazing when / if you get used to it.

One of the first things I might do is adjust the velocity curve so you don’t have to try so hard - a lot of people find playing the Seaboard very tiring and I think that one main reason is they have not set up the velocity right. You might also want to play with the glide settings so you get a little bit more snap to note. The main thing I think would be to forget about trying to play it like a piano though and just treat it as something totally new. Maybe even forget about scales, modes, notes etc for a while and just enjoy it on the level of pure touch and experimentation with tone.

• Thanks @Gavinski for the helpful tips. Indeed, it ain’t a piano and I’m approaching it as something totally new with the patience that requires. I’ll check the velocity (I assume adjusting it on apps not the Roli, correct?)

• edited June 2023

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Gavinski for the helpful tips. Indeed, it ain’t a piano and I’m approaching it as something totally new with the patience that requires. I’ll check the velocity (I assume adjusting it on apps not the Roli, correct?)

I can't remember what sliders u have on the rise 2. If you can adjust the velocity response there, great, otherwise you can do it in the dashboard app on desktop or that other app (blocks dashboard?) that a 3rd party dev created for iOS

• Very few mpe synth apps actually allow you to change the velocity curve etc in app, which is really a pity, as this would be convenient. Lack of this is just one of the many frustrating things you'll have to get used to if you become an mpe head 🤷‍♂️

• @Gavinski, no, not that! In contrast the Novus is a joy to play. I had forgotten what it was like to play on a real piano action. It’s uplifting.

Next question to solve is how to get the xy pad to affect the sound.

• “MIDI Tools” by Victor Porov has a nice “MIDI Curve” tool that could be inserted as a MIDI FX app:

• @McD said:
    “MIDI Tools” by Victor Porov has a nice “MIDI Curve” tool that could be inserted as a MIDI FX app:

Hmm, nice idea, never thought to use that with the seaboard, wonder if it would work OK, maybe!

• Hey @McD, I have midi tools for his keyboard splitter. I just add it as an effect on a track?

• McDMcD
    edited June 2023

@LinearLineman said:
    Hey @McD, I have midi tools for his keyboard splitter. I just add it as an effect on a track?

Yes. You could insert it just before the keyboard splitter when it’s in play.

Use it as a MIDI FX on a MIDI track… then the Roli notes will have the velocity adjusted according to the curve you dial in.

• @McD said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Hey @McD, I have midi tools for his keyboard splitter. I just add it as an effect on a track?

Yes. You could insert it just before the keyboard splitter when it’s in play.

Use it as a MIDI FX on a MIDI track… then the Roli notes will have the velocity adjusted according to the curve you dial in.

Very cool, oh my teacher.

• Nice to see you experiment with new instruments. Can't wait to hear the results!
    Coming from the guitar I would probably go the Linnstrument to experiment with mpe expressivity, but the seaboard is likely to be the best for your expert hands.