Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB thumb drive & SSD support stopped working

Dear all.

Needle and haystack comes to mind but.. worth a pop (trying to discover if this is a common problem)
recently, my usb c thumb drive 128gb stopped being recognised in Files

iPad Pro 2018 ios16.2

(I don’t believe my iOS ver was updated recently) but I’m not 100% either…

Anyway, exFAT as required by iOS…

Neither the 128gb stick, nor my 2tb Crucial SSD `are recognised anymore..

• I went through the bore/chore of copying over 1tb data from the drive, to my PC

ran a 38hr disk health check on it, formatted it again, re-copied the data back to it..
Still not recognised, massive frustration.

It used to appear directly beneath On My iPad (almost immediately)

• at first, as iCloud was struggling to update/refresh within Files….. I cut the internet conn, to see if that caused a delay in it showing up, nap.

Anyone had this frustrating behaviour please?

-tried in Documents app, same problem.

Comments

• Any chance your Lightning/USB adapter has gone bad?

• Stupid question but do you have the power plugged in to the dongle?

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@ecou said:
    Stupid question but do you have the power plugged in to the dongle?

I was going to ask that too.

Oh wait. Isn't the power to CCK dongle screwed up in iOS 16.something? Could that be related?

• @wim said:

@ecou said:

Oh wait. Isn't the power to CCK dongle screwed up in iOS 16.something? Could that be related?

Possible, but I am still on 15.

• Are you using a USB hub?
    Have you tried reformatting the drive to a Mac OS format? HFS+ and then reformatting back to exFat?
    I had a similar issue with my Samsung T7 SSD during some beta testing and
    I had to format it a couple of times before it became stable.
    Another thing is to use a USB hub as sometimes an idevice cannot power the drive by itself
    and @espiegel123 suggestion is a good one because
    sometimes the adapters can go pear shaped at the wrong time.

• edited May 2023

I’ve found that exFAT doesn’t play well with iOS (it “works” but sometimes stops transferring data/disappears from the side menu/etc…). If you have access to an Apple desktop or laptop, format it as APFS and you shouldn’t have issues.

The caveat being that you won’t be able to read/write to the drive on a Windows PC without special software.

EDIT: I just remembered that you may not be able to format to APFS on a usb flash drive. It might be time to buy an SSD drive, my friend.

• Greatful for the input but , some clarification:

• drive is SSD (usb-C) (not powered)
    • iPad is USB-c (plugged straight in)
    • SSD is exFAT (in the past, over last few months, I've had no issues with is disconnecting whatsoever)

• im prepared to use extra software on my PC if that's what it takes... As I only have a PC, no Mac. And go for HFS+ ..
      can anyone suggest decent, free s.ware for this?

POWERED OPTIONS:

• powering the drive has never been necessary in the past but, have also tested it thus:
    • USB-c dongle/multi-port dongle into iPad
    • USB-c power into the dongle
    • SSD connected to hub using USB-C to USB-A cable, still no luck
    • (tried various USB a to c cables as well (plus a new one I bought to test).

Really really frustrating.

• edited May 2023

ahh gotcha

• edited May 2023

Have you got another idevice to try it with?

Also something as simply as turning the cable around can work.
    Ahhh….have you tried different cables?

As you can still access it via your desktop check if it’s been set to Primary.
    There’s a whole list of stuff concerning that.

Freeware?
    Not that I know off but there is MacDrive which I used to use when I had a desktop.

Edit…

Link

https://www.macdrive.com/

• @ecou said:

@wim said:

@ecou said:

Possible, but I am still on 15.

That could be the problem. Or the cck isn’t apple. Sometimes mine can take awhile to show up. Maybe 10 mins or so…

• @Gravitas said:

Freeware?
    Not that I know off but there is MacDrive which I used to use when I had a desktop.

Edit…

Link

I seriously hope this isn't the case... That you'd need to buy software just to format it in Mac filesystem
    . Seems crazy.

There will be something out there to do the job for free.

Yeah it reads on my PC no problem.
    I will have to check what you mean by 'primary'. I'm wondering if you might be using the word in the partition sense, ie primary partition..

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@Gravitas said:

Freeware?

Edit…

Link

I seriously hope this isn't the case... That you'd need to buy software just to format it in Mac filesystem
    . Seems crazy.

Back when I was working a lot in music studios, they only had Mac's
    and I had a PC, like so many others I used to build my own, MacDrive
    was the only program that enabled me to bring projects home
    work on them and then take them back to the studio.
    The days before affordable broadband etc.

MacDrive

There will be something out there to do the job for free.

Yeah it reads on my PC no problem.
    I will have to check what you mean by 'primary'. I'm wondering if you might be using the word in the partition sense, ie primary partition..

Correct I am using the word in the Partition sense sometimes
    those settings can get corrupted for no apparent reason.

• @SkillipEvolver MacDrive is the one ☝️

• @Gravitas said:

Are you telling me that it needs to be set as 'primary partition' here, or that it must not be?

Thanks, then I'll check in disk management (Windows)

• Ps - this is the reason I chose exFAT:

• I've never had an issue with exFAT for my USB drives. I have one combo USBA USBC thumb drive that seems to never be that fast no matter how many times I format it, but exFAT as a format has never caused any issues with my thumb drives in iOS.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

I had some trouble with a 1TB USB SATA xfat formatted drive just now until I plugged it into a powered hub.
    Might be worth trying.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    I've never had an issue with exFAT for my USB drives. I have one combo USBA USBC thumb drive that seems to never be that fast no matter how many times I format it, but exFAT as a format has never caused any issues with my thumb drives in iOS.

Yeah I just don't get this at all.
    Earlier, about 2hrs ago, the 128gb thumbstick was working.. then I get home, after a power cycle of iPad, won't pick up.

• Disconnect everything, power down your idevice and reboot.
    Then reconnect everything systematically and see what happens then.

• I had pretty flakey results with five different sticks/drives of different brands until I got a Samsung T7. Never had a problem with it and have now used it more than all the others combined.

• I still say try a powered hub if you haven't already. I've had drives be flakey when not supplied enough bus power. I've also had an old iPad behave properly when fully charged and then get intermittent problems when the battery is low.

• @AudioGus said:
    I had pretty flakey results with five different sticks/drives of different brands until I got a Samsung T7. Never had a problem with it and have now used it more than all the others combined.

Yep. I had a T5 myself. Good choice. I needed a 2tb in the end though and a T7 2tb (t my time of purchase) was too expensive so I went with Crucial.

• I believe Fat and xFat are the 2 recommended to use with iOS.

• Couple years old but this Gizmodo article is pretty informative.

• edited June 2023

Apple discussion on partitions & formatting the second reply is of particular interest.

• Thanks for looking the gizmodo article. Unfortunately not alot in there I haven't already tried.

Sorry I sound like a broken record, and truly, thank you for all your suggestions guys, but the bizarre and frustrating thing about this is that I have tried powering the hub, but this makes no difference.

I've juiced the iPad up to 100% this morning, fresh power up, but still no joy.

Elsewhere, I tried a full format (1hr20mins) of my 128gb thumbstick, copied 3 basic MP4 videos to it. Still not recognised.

-- also just tried my AKAI midi controller connected directly to the iPad, not recognised.

I think there might be some kind of power issue with the USBC port 😭
    For example: it charges ok, and, I have a USB-c hub which displays an LED.

so usb gadgetsare getting some amount of power, but perhaps not enough...

And so I now need to understand power delivery function to the USB-c port if I have any chance of solving this.. iPad is long out of warranty (2018 pro 12.9).

• I’ll mention it one more time….
    Format to APFS

• @mtenk said:
    I’ll mention it one more time….
    Format to APFS

Mate, I plan to . . I just don't have a Mac myself, and don't feel like paying £50 for Windows software yet. Not least until I've worked out if this is a hardware issue, which is currently what it seems to be..

• edited June 2023

I feel ya. I wouldn’t pay the $50 first either.
    You don’t know anyone that has a Mac that would let you format a drive?

Btw, MacDrive has a free trial.