Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The first question I should have asked

My iPad has 32 GB of storage, with 21 GB available.

Is that going to be enough for LP once I start actually recording and saving sessions?

If not, is external storage an option?

Comments

• @moondog said:

Is that going to be enough for LP once I start actually recording and saving sessions?

I use Google Drive to store my project in Cubasis 3. If you don't install a lot of sounds pack it will be enough but on the shorter side. It's not ideal but manageable.

• @moondog said:

If you have ab 32GB iPad you probably not have the right iPad to run Logic Pro…

iPads with A12 Bionic was never sold with just 32GB…
    When did you bought your iPad?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@moondog said:

He is asking about Loopy Pro

• @Montreal_Music said:

@moondog said:

I use Google Drive to store my project in Cubasis 3. If you don't install a lot of sounds pack it will be enough but on the shorter side. It's not ideal but manageable.

Thanks for your reply. I am one of those Luddites who doesn't want to store anything in the cloud, so I'm hoping I can use an external SSD.

I'm looking at setting up a basic looper without a lot of sound libraries, so hopefully I'll fall into that "not ideal but manageable" category.

• 32GB can store a ton of loops, if that’s what you are asking.

• @CracklePot said:
    32GB can store a ton of loops, if that’s what you are asking.

Yes, thank you!

I'll remove as many extraneous other programs as I can to get me closer to the 32GB mark.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@moondog said:

Ha! It must have been TOO much Logic Pro in my life the last week… Sorry…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Ha! It must have been TOO much Logic Pro in my life the last week… Sorry…

No worries! I appreciate your willingness to help.

• @moondog said:

@CracklePot said:

Yes, thank you!

I'll remove as many extraneous other programs as I can to get me closer to the 32GB mark.

I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, it's never a bad idea to tidy up but 21GB is essentially an infinite amount of space when it comes to Loopy Pro projects.

• If you turn off "Use Snapshots" projects will take up less space at the cost of not being able to revert to a previous save.

You can't load, run, or save projects directly from external storage. However, you can easily move inactive projects off to external storage and bring them back in when needed if storage runs low.

If you keep other apps to a minimum 32gb can be manageable.

• @CracklePot said:

A 32GB device doesn’t have 32 GB free.

@moondog: i just did a quick test with an attached SSD to my iPad 6. The SSD is a fast one .... but iPad 6's only have USB2....so they don't get the full read/write speed. I was able to load a project from the external drive, but playback and recording were erratic. I don't know if a more modern iPad that has USB3 would fare better.

You could certainly use an SSD to archive and backup projects, but you might not be able to use projects on the SSD in realtime.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@moondog: i just did a quick test with an attached SSD to my iPad 6. The SSD is a fast one .... but iPad 6's only have USB2....so they don't get the full read/write speed. I was able to load a project from the external drive, but playback and recording were erratic. I don't know if a more modern iPad that has USB3 would fare better.

You could certainly use an SSD to archive and backup projects, but you might not be able to use projects on the SSD in realtime.

Ok then, 21GB.
    Still plenty of space for loops.
    32GB was referring to the device capacity. If just doing loops, it is plenty of storage space.

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

Ok then, 21GB.
    32GB was referring to the device capacity. If just doing loops, it is plenty of storage space.

It depends on what you are doing with Loopy. If you are recording longer tracks and mixes and need space for other apps, 21GB can disappear fast.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

Ok then, 21GB.

It depends on what you are doing with Loopy. If you are recording longer tracks and mixes and need space for other apps, 21GB can disappear fast.

No one said anything about any of that, though.
    Just you.
    If they asked about those particulars, I would have provided a different answer.

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

Ok then, 21GB.

No one said anything about any of that, though.
    Just you.
    If they asked about those particulars, I would have provided a different answer.

????

They asked if that would be enough storage once they start saving and recording sessions. So, I think it is relevant. If the sessions have a lot of tracks or long tracks, they can use up considerable space -- particularly if working at higher sample rates. It really depends so much on what their projects and sessions are like. I've got ambient sessions that are over a gigabyte by themselves.

I find myself monthly having to move my larger projects and sessions from my iPad to my NAS or iCloud drive for archiving/storage because I start getting low on space.

• @Will said:
    I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, it's never a bad idea to tidy up but 21GB is essentially an infinite amount of space when it comes to Loopy Pro projects.

Thanks for this. I will clear out some more non-music stuff. This iPad is only supposed to be for music-making but not any DAW stuff. Just MIDI control if other devices or, now, my looper.

@wim said:
    If you turn off "Use Snapshots" projects will take up less space at the cost of not being able to revert to a previous save.

I will think hard about how I'm going to use LP and maybe turn that off.

@wim said:
    You can't load, run, or save projects directly from external storage. However, you can easily move inactive projects off to external storage and bring them back in when needed if storage runs low.

If you keep other apps to a minimum 32gb can be manageable.

I would be looking at external storage just for archiving loops/projects for later use. I'm assuming the reloading process would be fairly easy and not much of an interruption. This could also help me discipline myself to not save every musical burp and fart that I come up with. I'll put my iPad on a diet and keep it mean and lean.

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks for taking the time to run that test. My iPad is also a 6, so that's more support for an external SSD as an archive rather than active storage.

@espiegel123 & @CracklePot: You're both correct . I could be doing longer looping sessions of ambient-scapes but I don't see myself doing any mixes of them. If I did, I could off-load them when done to free up space. At least for the foreseeable future I'll just be using LP as a 4-track looper and saving those loops, so there won't be any high track-count project to start with.

Thank you everyone for responding. Every time I get discouraged about whether I can pull this off, this forum bolsters my confidence.

• @moondog said:
    Thank you everyone for responding. Every time I get discouraged about whether I can pull this off, this forum bolsters my confidence.

That's why I love this forum.

Space management can be a pain on a device with a smaller HD. I deleted my "Sounds of KSHMR" packs from my Mini 6 to free up 10+gb of space so I can do more Ambient fodder within.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I deleted my "Sounds of KSHMR" packs from my Mini 6 to free up 10+gb of space so I can do more Ambient fodder within.

"Ambient Fodder" - great name for a band. B)

• @moondog said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I deleted my "Sounds of KSHMR" packs from my Mini 6 to free up 10+gb of space so I can do more Ambient fodder within.

"Ambient Fodder" - great name for a band. B)

We should form an online virtual band named "Gorillaz". Wait...nevermind that name is taken. 😂 Hmmm...yeah "Ambient Fodder" sounds good.