Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - Heavenly Hosts (Drone Day Ambient in AUM)

I honestly have no idea if this counts as an actual drone piece or not, because when I live perform Ambient in AUM I can't really sit still for too long without fidding with this knob or that slider. 😆 Chalk it up to my ADHD and impulsive nature.

All samples were prepared in PaulXStretch. "Weird Gospel" was a snippet created in Logic Pro using Pure Synth Platinum for an organ, the "hmmm" sound, and the 808, and then stretched in PaulXStretch.

Here's how I set up my live performance on my Mini 6.

I used Logic Pro on my Mini 6 to master the piece and bring it up to about -14 LuFS using RX950, Logic's channel EQ, Logic's compressor in Vintage Opto mode to reduce it to about -2 to -3 dB, Unfiltered Audio's Lo-Fi-AF, Logic's limiter, and Logic's loudness meter. I'll say that Logic Pro's internal plugins are top quality, but I also can't live without a couple of my external AUv3's.

And when it comes to mastering in Logic Pro vs Cubasis 3, I prefer Logic Pro for the simple fact that it's easier to use for me (your mileage may vary). A little Sample Crate slide-over to find the unmastered file, preview it, and dump it into Logic Pro is easier for me (your mileage may vary) than Cubasis 3. Also, Cubasis 3 doesn't have plugin filtering for finding the external AUv3s I need. Logic Pro has this, so I'm not endlessly scrolling the AUv3 list to find what I need.

Comments are always appreciated. Cheers and enjoy.

Comments

• It’s definitely a drone!!! Good work!

• Nice drone you fit it

• edited May 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    And when it comes to mastering in Logic Pro vs Cubasis 3, I prefer Logic Pro for the simple fact that it's easier to use for me (your mileage may vary).

I'm not sure I understand about mastering in iOS.

Isn't mastering preparing a music recording for vinyl, cassette, or CD? Do you need to master when you have the virgin, original recording on your iOS device? Aren't you just doing more mixing?

Or is this mastering for SoundCloud or YouTube release?

• @sevenape said:
    It’s definitely a drone!!! Good work!

Thank you so much mate. :) Phew.

@BerlinFx said:
    Nice drone you fit it

Thank you too mate. I'm glad the drone is a drone.

@Simon said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    And when it comes to mastering in Logic Pro vs Cubasis 3, I prefer Logic Pro for the simple fact that it's easier to use for me (your mileage may vary).

I'm not sure I understand about mastering in iOS.

Isn't mastering preparing a music recording for vinyl, cassette, or CD? Do you need to master when you have the virgin, original recording on your iOS device? Aren't you just doing more mixing?

Or is this mastering for SoundCloud or YouTube release?

Mastering for SoundCloud and BandCamp releases to match the levels of my other releases. Not going to use Soundcloud's crummy AI mastering which could screw up my recording when I can roll my own masters. ;)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Mastering for SoundCloud and BandCamp releases to match the levels of my other releases. Not going to use Soundcloud's crummy AI mastering which could screw up my recording when I can roll my own masters. ;)

Makes sense.

OK, thanks.

• @Simon said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Makes sense.

OK, thanks.

Of course mate. :)

• Of course it’s a drone! And there’s nowt wrong with fiddling with knobs and sliders. It’s that or modulation (or both…) to keep things from becoming too static.

I particularly liked the transition starting at around 3:45 - very neatly done.

• @bygjohn said:
    Of course it’s a drone! And there’s nowt wrong with fiddling with knobs and sliders. It’s that or modulation (or both…) to keep things from becoming too static.

Okay phew I was on the right track then. I do sometimes like modulation with mflo and Flux Pro, and for some of the more recent Ambient tracks I did that, but I woke up at 5am this morning, couldn't go back to sleep despite being tired, and I was like "You know something? How about I don't wait for grass to grow and just dig in?" But being tired, I couldn't be faffed setting up the modulations, and I was like "Eh, let's have some fun."

I particularly liked the transition starting at around 3:45 - very neatly done.

Thank you so much. ^_^ I appreciate it mate. I just went with the flow of things.