Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help: Lowest latency audio interface

Hi all, got a question:
I need an audio interface with the lowest latency for live midi guitar performances, I read around on the internet and found one, and I can even afford to buy a used Presonus Quantum 2 😄 but it is a Thunderbolt 2 interface, those who have experience will it work with my iPad Pro 2022 and a Thunderbolt 3 adapter? As far as I know UA Apollo doesn't work there in that configuration. 😕
Thank you!!!

Comments

• This audio interface with USB-C might be incredible good for you…

https://www.thomann.de/se/steinberg_ur22c.htm

• For several years, I’ve been playing guitar through a MOTU M4 interface and to me, the latency is imperceptible and the audio quality is excellent. It also has the best front panel metering and headphone amp of anything in its class. The 2-channel M2 would be more suitable for live performance.

For objective, technical reviews of nearly all interfaces, see the Julian Krauss YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/@JulianKrause

His review of the MOTU M2:

And MOTU’s own M2 page: https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/

• Did you find latency measurement for IOS, OSX or Windows for the Presonus Quantum 2? I think every OS has its own values.

And remember, higher sample rate = lower latency, and smaller buffer too. But higher sample rate and smaller buffer is also more CPU heavy. So you have to find the balance between these settings.

For live playing, maybe a audio interface that can be powered with a powerbank, or it's own power adapter, could be a nice feature.

• motu killing it for the price range.

• I have been happy with my Presonus Studio24c. It is on my pedal board and I use it with my iPad and guitar/ukulele every weekend at church and no issues with latency. and I am running it with an older iPad 2017 gen 2 pro 12.9. Man I need to upgrade my iPad one day.

• I’ve got a MOTU M2. No disernable latency and crystal clear sound. Awesome for the $.

• If you want ro spend even less money: the behringer umc‘s are great value as well. I did run a 4/4 „hardware effect unit“ with AUM plugged to my mixing desk in 96 khz and lowest (32 samples) latency no problem (on an M1 ipad)

• edited May 2023

I have to disagree about the Behringer audio devices, at least the u1820.. I had one and it was muddy as %^^& plus the pots gave off that scratchy noise when you moved them after only 3 months. when I changed to a new audio device, I was reminded at how bad the Behringer sound was (you get used to the sound you have quick). Don't get me wrong I like some of the Behringer synths like the Boog etc and I use their patch bay but the audio device was hot garbage.

• Any audio interface has a certain amount of latency and it increases when insert plugins are used. There are various ways to minimize this issue, basically:

• Use it in direct mode (the signal does not enter the computer, zero latency)
    • Use a DSP interface (plugins are managed by the internal chip)

Both option are widely used

• edited December 2023

If anybody is interested to see some audio interface round trip latency measurement results done with Onyx app on iOS:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/58564/comparing-interface-latency

• I put there: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/58564/comparing-interface-latency long comment/post about it but… Focusrite Clarett Pre Thunderbolt (not new USB versions) can achieve even 1.83 ms RTL wich could be similar to this DSP interfaces. Ive got this - and on MacBook it really does. RTL under 3ms are impossible to percept (maybe for small humans - really the tall ones have more latency with their hands and legs because of neurones length and signal speed). Other Thunderbolt interfaces perform probably similar. Problem is they are not all compatible with iPads pro with thunderbolt. Even when Apple Silicon M1 procesors came out on MacBooks etc. - it was around year after drivers came out and tou could use TB Clarett and this 8 preamps octopre with this new computers.. Any one now which ones TB interfaces works with iPads pro? Or what is RTL of iPad m2 it self (with just a regular usbc to minijack adapter) because I would use it mainly for playing keys on it so I dont need inputs too much (they could be usable tho for guitars that I play or others vocals - when I use too do it on jams and live shows).