Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I made a pad-based Midi Poly Grid app with MPE support (Open Source)

Comments

• Hey dudes. I've released a new version with a big refactor on the backend, some minor improvements and a new rendering engine for iOS with the latest flutter version. You probably won't notice a massive difference, but believe me, it was a headache to port my legacy state management to the latest best practices (I am using Riverpod, if you are interested).

This is also the first release with the new name "Midi Poly Grid". Thanks for your suggestions. It really helped me to find a name, which I think strikes a balance between being too technical and somewhat easy-going?!?!. I wonder if you feel the same way 😝 haha. It is just so subjective.

Hope it works for you guys, but let me know if there is any issues.

Thanks to the beta testers, especially @Samplix for finding all these juicy bugs!!

Next, I want to implement an MPE pitch shift behaviour like on the Linnstrument or Ableton Push 3. Could be a while though, since I am travelling around Europe in July.

• Fantastic @anzbert! I bought the app recently and it’s a new favourite. Really looking forward to the upcoming MPE mode like the Linnstrument, I will wait patiently 😎. Have a great time travelling!

• Sorry there is no news on any new MPE modes, but I did not have much time to code. I have released a few minor fixes in the meantime though.

The reason I am posting is that my friend Andreas from Xpresspads.com fingerdrumming has released a number of tutorial videos for midi poly grid for anyone interested.

Here is the Link

Enjoy!

• @anzbert said:
    Sorry there is no news on any new MPE modes, but I did not have much time to code. I have released a few minor fixes in the meantime though.

The reason I am posting is that my friend Andreas from Xpresspads.com fingerdrumming has released a number of tutorial videos for midi poly grid for anyone interested.

Here is the Link

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting!

• Hi!

I just released another version with 2 new types of Custom layouts.

Both allow the setting of custom intervals on the X and Y axis. One of them in Chromatic mode and one of them In-Key, using only notes from the selected scale.

These modes allow for some interesting grid creations on the fly, like 2D based Harmonic Tables, MidiMech or Wicki-Hayden inspired layouts when in the chromatic mode.

When you stick to In-Key notes, you can easily create a grid of notes with close harmonic relations, similar to the Chord mode layout on the new Launchpad Pro.

Ok, that's it from me today. Hope people will have a good time with these new features ❤️

• @anzbert said:
    Hi!

I just released another version with 2 new types of Custom layouts.

Both allow the setting of custom intervals on the X and Y axis. One of them in Chromatic mode and one of them In-Key, using only notes from the selected scale.

These modes allow for some interesting grid creations on the fly, like 2D based Harmonic Tables, MidiMech or Wicki-Hayden inspired layouts when in the chromatic mode.

When you stick to In-Key notes, you can easily create a grid of notes with close harmonic relations, similar to the Chord mode layout on the new Launchpad Pro.

Ok, that's it from me today. Hope people will have a good time with these new features ❤️

Oh, this is great! Thanks for adding those custom layouts.

• I finally got around to adding the "Push Style MPE" mode. Now you can bend the note by directly swiping to the desired note, like on the Ableton Push3 or the Linnstrument. So far it's added as an experimental feature, since I want to add a few options to it in the long run. It's still already quite usable though and included in the latest public release.

Thanks for everyone suggesting this mode and i hope you enjoy it!

• Very nice, looking forward to trying it :)

• Great update, I just did a quick test and it works very well! Thank you!

• It’s really good, Now I can have MPE pitch end and cc74 on my android tablet to control my desktop synths, so far I had to choose (muselead only has pitchbend). Works great on iPad, too.

One thing I like better with the classic xy-controls is that if you accidentally slide vertically out of a pad, it doesn’t trigger the note in the other row. Would you consider making that an option for the push-style, too?

Anyway thank you for this great controller.

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    It’s really good, Now I can have MPE pitch end and cc74 on my android tablet to control my desktop synths, so far I had to choose (muselead only has pitchbend). Works great on iPad, too.

One thing I like better with the classic xy-controls is that if you accidentally slide vertically out of a pad, it doesn’t trigger the note in the other row. Would you consider making that an option for the push-style, too?

Hey that's a great idea for an option, to only allow slides on the same row. I'll definitely consider that.

• @anzbert In the push-setup, would you also consider to give a choice between cc74 and polyaftertouch on the y-axis?

I tried to make it work with the moog-synths on iOS, but they only react to polyaftertouch (at least I didn't get them to take in cc74).

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    @anzbert In the push-setup, would you also consider to give a choice between cc74 and polyaftertouch on the y-axis?

I tried to make it work with the moog-synths on iOS, but they only react to polyaftertouch (at least I didn't get them to take in cc74).

Does it work with the regular MPE mode with the y-axis set to Aftertouch? If yes, I guess I could add the same dropdown options for the Push mode y-axis.

• I think I did it before and it worked, but I'm not entirely sure. Will try tonight and report back. Anyway having the same options as in the other mode would be great:).

• I tested it, and the Polyaftertouch in the other MPE-mode works fine with the moogs. It would be cool to have this in the Push-Mode, too.

• Is there a way to connect an android TABLET running this app to an iPad running AUM? I've got some Kindle Fire tablets from a few years ago that I'm itching to make useful!

• edited April 10

@NoncompliantBryant said:
    Is there a way to connect an android TABLET running this app to an iPad running AUM? I've got some Kindle Fire tablets from a few years ago that I'm itching to make useful!

I connected it on an Android Tablet via a lightning to usb-hub and controlled aus in loopy. Worked fine, although many people here say, they 've had bad experiences with hubs. Maybe it works via Bluetooth, too, but I haven't tried it.

The Android needs to support Midi, which is available in the full Android from version 6 onward, but not all manufacturers give you a full Android, I've had one that had a far newer Android version, that did not let me activate midi. I don't know, if Amazon put midi in their android.

• @tyslothrop1 said:

@NoncompliantBryant said:
    Is there a way to connect an android TABLET running this app to an iPad running AUM? I've got some Kindle Fire tablets from a few years ago that I'm itching to make useful!

I connected it on an Android Tablet via a lightning to usb-hub and controlled aus in loopy. Worked fine, although many people here say, they 've had bad experiences with hubs. Maybe it works via Bluetooth, too, but I haven't tried it.

The Android needs to support Midi, which is available in the full Android from version 6 onward, but not all manufacturers give you a full Android, I've had one that had a far newer Android version, that did not let me activate midi. I don't know, if Amazon put midi in their android.

Thank you!

• @NoncompliantBryant cheers. If you get it to work, you might want to try audanika, too. It's free and can be lots of fun, too.

• For anyone wanting to use an android tablet or phone as a Bluetooth midi controller, there's a couple Bluetooth midi transmitters for free on Google Play. Here's one that works for me... Has been great! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileer.example.midibtlepairing

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    It’s really good, Now I can have MPE pitch end and cc74 on my android tablet to control my desktop synths, so far I had to choose (muselead only has pitchbend). Works great on iPad, too.

Hey again @tyslothrop1 !
    I've just submitted a new version to the app store for review with an option to restrict MPE pitchbends to the current row. Should be online in a few hours!

Thanks again for the suggestion :)

• @anzbert said:

@tyslothrop1 said:

Hey again @tyslothrop1 !
    I've just submitted a new version to the app store for review with an option to restrict MPE pitchbends to the current row. Should be online in a few hours!

Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Cool, the app is getting better and better (and was awesome to begin with). Thank you!

• edited April 14

Oh cool, for the iOS release, you can already choose to have Aftertouch on the y axis. I really like the visual feedback of the dead zone and the y position.

But I think something broke with the update. The sliding to another key seems Skippy, when before it seemed fluid.

I think in Push-Mode cc74 doesn't work anymore. I tried in bless alpha, when I send polyaftertouch to the filter and set that as the y-axis in midi poly grid, the filter moves smoothly from the bottom of the pad to the top.

When I send cc74 to the filter and set that as the y-axis in midi poly grid, I would expect the same result, but with the lower 2 thirds of the pad nothing happens and then the filter jumps.

Looking forward to where you take this app:)

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    Oh cool, for the iOS release, you can already choose to have Aftertouch on the y axis. I really like the visual feedback of the dead zone and the y position.

But I think something broke with the update. The sliding to another key seems Skippy, when before it seemed fluid.

I think in Push-Mode cc74 doesn't work anymore. I tried in bless alpha, when I send polyaftertouch to the filter and set that as the y-axis in midi poly grid, the filter moves smoothly from the bottom of the pad to the top.

When I send cc74 to the filter and set that as the y-axis in midi poly grid, I would expect the same result, but with the lower 2 thirds of the pad nothing happens and then the filter jumps.

Looking forward to where you take this app:)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I am currently reworking the value sending and I am making the deadzone a bit more accurate too. The next version should fix those bugs. It's all gotten a bit trickier than I expected and I am running out of free time soon 😅

• @tyslothrop1
    I've submitted a new version, which should be available in a few hours again. Now it has a relative touch mode. Kind of like the relative mode on the Linnstrument, or the "on finger" pitch mode on the Push3. And hopefully the other bugs are sorted as well .......and not too many new ones were created :D

• Fantastic, it works great and is all I wished for! Just had a lot of fun using it with Animoog Z. Thank you @anzbert!

• Thanks for the update, pitch bend and aftertouch work nicely, and even more visual feedback is cool:)

CC74 unfortunately still doesn't work properly, there's no change from the bottom of the pad til at least 3 quarters up and then it jumps all the way up. It's the same in the push style and the classic MPE.

still a lot of fun to play with as it is.

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    Thanks for the update, pitch bend and aftertouch work nicely, and even more visual feedback is cool:)

CC74 unfortunately still doesn't work properly, there's no change from the bottom of the pad til at least 3 quarters up and then it jumps all the way up. It's the same in the push style and the classic MPE.

still a lot of fun to play with as it is.

So weird..I can't replicate that behaviour with Ableton. I receive the slide messages fine there.

• @Jer4 said:
    Fantastic, it works great and is all I wished for! Just had a lot of fun using it with Animoog Z. Thank you @anzbert!

Thx a lot. It was a lot more coding work than I anticipated 😅