Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your dream AUV3

Comments

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Desktop quality channel strips, some of the ones I’ve used on my computer are just absolutely stunning

Plugin Alliance for sure!

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:
    A really capable, flexible and experimental physical modeling synth with excellent mpe implementation, a beautiful interface, tons of great presets I could reverse engineer, fantastic on board modulation and capable of a wide variety of physical modeling types. (something like Plasmonic on desktop)

Built in automation recording in aum, and a built in high def internal modulation system like apematrix has

A looper capable of recording overdubbed mpe loops without altering the automation of the previous passes.

Would love to see a really sophisticated physically modeled drum + percussion app (especially if it included Roto-Toms).

Modeled guitars 😍

• A direct port of FXpansion’s Geist (v1).

A direct port of MOTU’s original Performer (from circa ‘88).

And because those’ll likely never happen ports of Audiothing’s (currently desktop) drum machines would be cause for celebration. 😎

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

Logic Pro AUv3 edition with XCode integrated development environment.

• A full physical modeling synth/drum machine.

A randomizer that only makes experimental drones and such.

• @sevenape said:
    A west coast synth modular groove box type thing with built in tape recorder. Fully modelled analogue goodness, plenty of LFOs and a sequencer. Something that you can make whole songs on.

+1 to that.

And, dare I mention it yet again: proper editable automation for AUM?

• @Svetlovska said:

@sevenape said:
    A west coast synth modular groove box type thing with built in tape recorder. Fully modelled analogue goodness, plenty of LFOs and a sequencer. Something that you can make whole songs on.

+1 to that.

Yeah this is the one for me too, plus automation would be killer

• @Krupa said:

@Svetlovska said:

@sevenape said:

+1 to that.

Yeah this is the one for me too, plus automation would be killer

Yep. That would be a happy day.

• U-he Repro-5

• Even with all the new AUv3's that pop up we still don't have a fully featured Host/DAW to use them with when it comes to audio & midi-routing, automation recording & editing and everything ends up being a total 'Franken DAW' where session recall is a lottery with medium to low odds of winning.

The more time I spend with Drambo the more I realize that getting new AUv3s is just a distraction and waste of time.

• An AUv3 controller and sequencer app with built in templates for my old hardware synths, specifically the K2600 and the V-synth. It’d have to seamlessly bring the multi-track audio back into Drambo/ Aum for further processing and would have rock solid timing. Can you build that for me please Bing?

• @Samu : I admire the purity of your vision! :) I keep trying to like Drambo - the evangelists here are obviously onto something - but the learning curve always feels vertical to me, even after checking out the various recommended tutorial vids, and, more importantly, every time I try to use it, the whole scrolling thing on my little iPad screen feels like trying to paint a hallway through a letterbox. I’m obviously missing something… Maybe it’s just better for folks who are making more structured stuff than me?

AUM on the other hand feels like slipping into a warm bath, and slotting in whatever the latest gamechangier of the week is feels about the right balance between swotting the new toy, and actually, you know, making some noise…

Ah, but that AUM lacking automation issue…?

Close. So very, very close…

• @Svetlovska said:

In order for AUM to gain automation with full editing capabilities it would have to turn in to a hybrid linear/clip-based Audio&Midi workstation and that in turn would open a 'can of feature-worms' when it comes to audio, audio-editing, slicing, warping you name it.

Since most iOS apps are 'one person things' it could quite easily push the developer closer to the wall and BOOM no more AUM updates for a while.

This 'wait for new features' also has a negative impact on sales as new potential customers postpone their purchase waiting for their pet-peeve feature to get implemented (I know I'm like that when it comes to LoopyPro and will wait for the 1.1 with midi-clips before even considering to take it for a spin again if I can even do that since my initial 7 day trial is already over, so I'll likely not even be able to try it again to check if it 'clicks' for me).

Drambo is definitely NOT a 'do everything' app and it does help to know in advance what needs to be done and build on from there.

I use the recorder module to record the stuff as audio and drag'n'drop from the recorder straight to Mac desktop or Logic's time-line.

And yes I do try to keep things as simple as possible (for example one WT Oscillator with as many 'wave effects' as needed to shape the sound and add modulators (LFOs, Envelopes etc.) on a need to use basis instead of building a 'monster do everything synth'.

The 'charm' of Drambo for me is that it can be as simple or as complex as I need it to be, the same actually applies to SunVox as well. Most of the time I do prefer to keep things super simple...

Cheers!

• edited March 2023

@Samu : Interesting to hear how you are using it. I might try another look (for the millionth time…)

I know nothing about programming, so you’re probably right re automating AUM, except that… I think @j_liljedahl fears the FrankenDAW you describe, and I get that, AUM is a masterpiece of clean design, why would he want to ruin that? But actually, what I’m describing is much simpler, at least from a user perspective.

I don’t want or need in-app audio editing, as I have AudioShare and other tools for that. Just editable control of AUMs existing interface buttons and faders. I already use MIDILFOs from Art Kerns to semi-automate volumes, pans, mutes etc. Kai Aras’ MM-1 Mutemaster does something similar. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mm-1-mutemaster/id1503359958

So: all you really need to add to that existing functionality is the click and drag style automation timeline editing Cubasis offers. Or alternatively, even an interactive per-channel Tracker style editable event list add-in, so if I make a real time change to a volume fader as the channel runs in record mode for the channel, the associated changing MIDI values get recorded alongside the audio on that channel, at that point in the playback into the Tracker event list, as MIDI events - and I can then go back in and tweak them to my hearts content. Importantly - confining the event editing to the Tracker add-in. There for those that want it, but it doesn’t mess with the clean ‘classic’ AUM experience.

It would make for much more dynamic live mix downs if I could set up whole MixMaster style sequences of channel mutes and fader changes iteratively in this way, until the mix was running just right. This facility, a per channel MIDI event recorder/editor as IAP or as an ‘AUM Pro’ repurchase would have my cash in a heartbeat…

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Samu : I admire the purity of your vision! :) I keep trying to like Drambo - the evangelists here are obviously onto something - but the learning curve always feels vertical to me, even after checking out the various recommended tutorial vids, and, more importantly, every time I try to use it, the whole scrolling thing on my little iPad screen feels like trying to paint a hallway through a letterbox. I’m obviously missing something… Maybe it’s just better for folks who are making more structured stuff than me?

AUM on the other hand feels like slipping into a warm bath, and slotting in whatever the latest gamechangier of the week is feels about the right balance between swotting the new toy, and actually, you know, making some noise…

Once again...Yeah, this...

• @Svetlovska said:
    So: all you really need to add to that existing functionality is the click and drag style automation timeline editing Cubasis offers. Or alternatively, even an interactive per-channel Tracker style editable event list add-in, so if I make a real time change to a volume fader as the channel runs in record mode for the channel, the associated changing MIDI values get recorded alongside the audio on that channel, at that point in the playback into the Tracker event list, as MIDI events - and I can then go back in and tweak them to my hearts content.

It would make for much more dynamic live mix downs if I could set up whole MixMaster style sequences of channel mutes and fader changes iteratively in this way, until the mix was running just right. This facility, a per channel MIDI event recorder/editor as IAP or as an ‘AUM Pro’ repurchase would have my cash in a heartbeat…

Seriously, are you reading my mind? ;)

• @lasselu : :) Just one of the many Dark Gifts the Elder Gods bestow…

• High res midi is what I really want. 'Often, the regular data range of MIDI (0-127) is way too choppy and coarse for nice interactions with your instruments, but 14 bit MIDI provides a resolution of 16384 steps... achieved by combining two MIDI CC signals in to one'.

ie. The inbuilt modulation system of apematrix. Could always just switch to apematrix but I'm very used to aum now and don't really fancy changing.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Samu : I admire the purity of your vision! :) I keep trying to like Drambo - the evangelists here are obviously onto something - but the learning curve always feels vertical to me, even after checking out the various recommended tutorial vids, and, more importantly, every time I try to use it, the whole scrolling thing on my little iPad screen feels like trying to paint a hallway through a letterbox. I’m obviously missing something… Maybe it’s just better for folks who are making more structured stuff than me?

Yep I agree with this. Perfectly articulated

• @Svetlovska said:
    @lasselu : :) Just one of the many Dark Gifts the Elder Gods bestow…

:D

• TAL Bassline 101 :)

• Regarding AUv3 wishes...
    ...bring on the Entire KORG Collection 4 to iOS as AUv3's and I'll shut up for at least a while :sunglasses:

• edited March 2023

@Stuntman_mike said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:
    A really capable, flexible and experimental physical modeling synth with excellent mpe implementation, a beautiful interface, tons of great presets I could reverse engineer, fantastic on board modulation and capable of a wide variety of physical modeling types. (something like Plasmonic on desktop)

Built in automation recording in aum, and a built in high def internal modulation system like apematrix has

A looper capable of recording overdubbed mpe loops without altering the automation of the previous passes.

Would love to see a really sophisticated physically modeled drum + percussion app (especially if it included Roto-Toms).

Modeled guitars 😍

I think Yonac found the right blend of modeled and sampled. You can get far beefier guitar sounds out of Steel Guitar Pro than you can out of a pure modeled guitar. I use Strum GS-2 (by AAS) and every guitar sounds thin and tinny in comparison. This is why I really want Yonac to bring Steel Guitar to desktop!

• I'd love to see Giorgio Sancristoforos Ongaku on iOS...

• Thing is, realistically.... For most of us, once we got these we'd still be pining after the next shiny toy. Look at all the amazing desktop stuff that's been released recently and I'll bet half of us are barely using any of it 😁

• edited March 2023

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Modeled guitars 😍

I think Yonac found the right blend of modeled and sampled. You can get far beefier guitar sounds out of Steel Guitar Pro than you can out of a pure modeled guitar. I use Strum GS-2 (by AAS) and every guitar sounds thin and tinny in comparison. This is why I really want Yonac to bring Steel Guitar to desktop!

I love Steel Guitar Pro and AAS Strum!

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    serato sample Auv3 be a good start for me.

+1 , it would be huge (unfortunately the price too :p )

• @Gavinski said:
    Thing is, realistically.... For most of us, once we got these we'd still be pining after the next shiny toy. Look at all the amazing desktop stuff that's been released recently and I'll bet half of us are barely using any of it 😁

Oh, spoilsport... ;)

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Modeled guitars 😍

I love Steel Guitar Pro and AAS Strum!

If only we could get a blend of the two into one app!

• A dedicated clipper, no frills, just the business