Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Apple finally breaking IAA?

Has anyone experienced this warped view in Samplr?

Comments

• Is it only Samplr + does it happen each time you load it?

• edited February 2023

Is Apple finally breaking IAA?

If it finally forces bias fx to keep the years-old promise of going AUv3, then I’m almost fine with that…

• @robosardine said:
    Is it only Samplr + does it happen each time you load it?

Only Samplr. It takes deleting and recreating Samplr track to make it go back to normal but it does affect Samplr standalone. It’s never happened before I started using Loopy Pro which makes me wonder which of the apps is at fault?

• I’ve seen this happen in AUM before but only if I don’t open Samplr first. I’ve seen similar weirdness with some Lumbeat stuff too but making sure I launch them before loading in AUM seems to fix it.

• We see graphic problems with other IAA apps in iPadOS 16. Loading Animoog as IAA from AUM means the Animoog screen is completely corrupted. It works fine if Animoog is loaded first, before connecting to AUM.

• Apple ... :s

• jason said:
    There seem to be some heavy inconsistencies with IAA in general…

I discovered, that releasing an app with embedded AUv3 unit will result in a (missing) registration failure, if the app does not publish an IAA entitlement. Even if that app DOES NOT support IAA at all anymore. The unit just won”t load then at startup. The developer must enable this IAA entitlement, otherwise the release will result in a none functioning embedded audio unit. Such things encountered with latest iOS releases.

But if you publish macOS releases with an enabled IAA entitlement for out-of-AppSore releases, the app would not sign at all…

I guess, this is agin such a case, where the Apple core audio teams are not knowing anymore what they did and do and completely lost overview.

Have you seen this post related to SynthMaster2?

• First start Samplr, then load it as an IAA in AUM, this works for me.

• jason said:

@uncledave said:

jason said:
    There seem to be some heavy inconsistencies with IAA in general…

I discovered, that releasing an app with embedded AUv3 unit will result in a (missing) registration failure, if the app does not publish an IAA entitlement. Even if that app DOES NOT support IAA at all anymore. The unit just won”t load then at startup. The developer must enable this IAA entitlement, otherwise the release will result in a none functioning embedded audio unit. Such things encountered with latest iOS releases.

But if you publish macOS releases with an enabled IAA entitlement for out-of-AppSore releases, the app would not sign at all…

I guess, this is agin such a case, where the Apple core audio teams are not knowing anymore what they did and do and completely lost overview.

Have you seen this post related to SynthMaster2?

It's all a (quite expected) chaos!
    I've given up downwards compatibility this year at all.
    Because to keep 'upwards-compatibility' is fairly hard enough. ^^ Even if my release all must work across ALL latest Apple devices (including macOS Intel/Apple Silicon) recently. This would be just IMPOSSIBLE to achieve with any downwards compatibility.

Yeah, I think we're slowly approaching Android territory here regarding OS version / device compatibility nightmares... (my last Android development was 5 years ago... maybe it's actually gotten better there?)

• @Bietfriek said:
    First start Samplr, then load it as an IAA in AUM, this works for me.

This works for plug in spinning around and not loading but not with the graphic weirdness.

• It is unlikely that the graphic anomaly is related to IAA.

• Agreed. Broken IAA would likely manifest itself in different ways than this.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It is unlikely that the graphic anomaly is related to IAA.

What do you think it is related to?

• edited February 2023

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

How the app adapts its interface to different screen sizes/resolution? Or how the os is reporting information about the graphics port.

Does it sometimes draw correctly on that device?

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

More likely due to some change in graphics libraries. What version of iOS are you on @supadom, and can you remember if the problem began near the time of an OS upgrade, or change to a different device?

• Some graphics issues also get sorted out with updates.
    iPadOS16.1 had some pretty weird graphics glitches that got partially fixed in 16.2 and are now fully fixed in 16.3.

Many older apps are not optimized or adapted the new screen sizes since those screen sizes were not present when the apps were initially developed and there's no way to good/fool-proof method to 'future proof' the full layout of an app...

The best would be to get in touch with the developer of SMPLR and ask if he's still interested in keeping the app up-to-date.

IAAs still work OK as long as they are launched prior to making any connections to them...

The 'real' sign of the end of IAA support will be when IAA support is removed from GarageBand :sunglasses:

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

How the app adapts its interface to different screen sizes/resolution? Or how the os is reporting information about the graphics port.

Yes it does. In fact it did up until I was using it in AB3. @wim Then I switched to LP around the same time as I upgraded to iOS 16 it’s hard to disentangle the two but I haven’t had this problem with AB3, ever.

• @Samu yes I’ve gotten in touch with @Marcos but I have a feeling he’s given up on the app as the last follow up email I sent him bounced back. I wouldn’t be surprised although he’s always maintained he’d support IAA version and would eventually go AUV3 but I’m not holding my breath.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes it does. In fact it did up until I was using it in AB3. @wim Then I switched to LP around the same time as I upgraded to iOS 16 it’s hard to disentangle the two but I haven’t had this problem with AB3, ever.

IAA apps are standalone apps running in their own windowing system. They don't run in the host app.

If you reboot your iPad and launch SamplR does it look right?

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

@supadom said:

You may be onto something.

I forgot that even though IAA apps and hosts are separate standalone apps there is actually graphic interaction because IAA can show the "app switcher" toolbar thingy that can let you switch to the host and start/stop it if both the host and the app support it.

Audiobus doesn't implement the IAA switcher, instead using its own toolbar. Loopy Pro and other hosts do.

So ... totally backtracking here. Apple could have broken the IAA switcher, which means it could be IAA related after all, and is likely not to be fixed. :|
    You may have exposed the beginning of the end.

It would be interesting to see if @Michael has any IAA toolbar support code in Loopy Pro, and if so if temporarily removing it in a beta build has any effect.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

IAA apps are standalone apps running in their own windowing system. They don't run in the host app.

The standalone when not associated with any host loads fine. In fact even without rebooting. It gets warped if I start LP without S being open in the background but once I’ve killed S once then I need to start S, start LP then kill S and start S again for it to work correctly.
    I guess I just need to stop myself from closing S, like ever. This way it will open correctly every time,at least that’s what I think.

• @supadom said:
    @Samu yes I’ve gotten in touch with @Marcos but I have a feeling he’s given up on the app as the last follow up email I sent him bounced back. I wouldn’t be surprised although he’s always maintained he’d support IAA version and would eventually go AUV3 but I’m not holding my breath.

I read a while ago that he's become an Apple employee, and employees are not allowed to sell in the AppStore. So I think he's firewalled from working on his own app.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

The standalone when not associated with any host loads fine. In fact even without rebooting. It gets warped if I start LP without S being open in the background but once I’ve killed S once then I need to start S, start LP then kill S and start S again for it to work correctly.
    I guess I just need to stop myself from closing S, like ever. This way it will open correctly every time,at least that’s what I think.

Have you tried starting S stand-alone before trying to use LP? Instead of trying to start it from LP first? This would be the preferred procedure. LP should be able to connect with the running app with no problem.

Incidentally, the problem I mentioned with Animoog was a completely trashed screen, showing a few characters and some meaningless colored rectangles. Starting the app first allowed it to initialize its graphics correctly, before trying to communicate using the IAA protocol.

• The return to host icon > @uncledave said:

@supadom said:
    @Samu yes I’ve gotten in touch with @Marcos but I have a feeling he’s given up on the app as the last follow up email I sent him bounced back. I wouldn’t be surprised although he’s always maintained he’d support IAA version and would eventually go AUV3 but I’m not holding my breath.

I read a while ago that he's become an Apple employee, and employees are not allowed to sell in the AppStore. So I think he's firewalled from working on his own app.

He started working at Apple ages ago and the last couple of updates happened while he was there.

If someone lets him know about the issue, he’ll probably take a look.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The return to host icon > @uncledave said:

@supadom said:

He started working at Apple ages ago and the last couple of updates happened while he was there.

If someone lets him know about the issue, he’ll probably take a look.

He’s probably working for NASA now but all I care is Samplr living another year. Maybe it’s just an obsession at this point.

Anyways, panic over!

• @supadom said:

He’s probably working for NASA now but all I care is Samplr living another year. Maybe it’s just an obsession at this point.

I think he's still at Apple and part of the deal if I recall correctly was that he was allowed to maintain his apps...

Anyways, panic over!

:sunglasses:

• iBassist too.

Fix state

• @Samu said:

@supadom said:

I think he's still at Apple and part of the deal if I recall correctly was that he was allowed to maintain his apps...

Anyways, panic over!

:sunglasses:

That was a joke @Samu 😊😇