Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that stand out

Here's my list. What is yours? I think its been enough time to settle in comfortably with this list...

Gadget
Voco
Samplr
Sliver
Thesys
TC-11
Animoog
Thor
Mitosynth
Wavemapper
Oscilab

Comments

• edited August 2014

Stroke Machine, Gadget and Thor -- because of their outstanding sound, flexibility and usability

• edited August 2014

• Flying Haggis, Auria, Animoog

• Sector, earhoof, Thumbjam, loopy

• ThumbJam, LoopyHD, DrumJam, GarageBand, Figure, LaunchPad... I have a number of other apps, but my unfamiliarity with them postpones my assessment of them. Not to mention the queue of deleted apps I can still get to!

• Stroke Machine for the flexability and color scheme, just wish they would fix the last remaining bugs.
    iMS20 for the deep dark sounds.
    Figure for the fun and ease of use.

• Audiobus

• Stroke Machine, Alchemy, Mitosynth, Midibridge, Turnado, Reactable, TNR-e

• DrumPerfect, iFretless anything, Thumbjam, Auria, Loopy

• Impaktor

• 76 Synthesizer. Crazy warmth for a digital synth

• Re Stroke Machine, it would be nice to be able to deactivate the MIDI. It's listening to EVERYTHING! If I have a keyboard connected for another app, there's no way to stop it playing drum sounds.

• Different Drummer, Auria, ThumbJam, Loopy, Animoog, AUFX All.Guitarism, Bias, Tonestack, Flying Haggis, Jam Maestro, Nave, Alchemy, Impaktor, Galileo, BS-16i, Samplr, Guitar Toolkit.

I probably overlooked a few too.

• Oops, I forgot Audiobus and AudioShare, probably because they're so essential I take them for granted!

• Same here. Definite adds to my list.

• Gadget , Figure , Multitrack DAW , Launchpad , Sunrizer , Alchemy

• oops, and I forgot Impakt, Earhoof, Nave, Thumbjam, Loopy HD and the Sugar Bytes apps. I don't use them as much but they stand out!

• Midi Designer and Lemur

• Yeah, those.

• Sunvox. Build stuff. Use what you've built as a building block, build more stuff. It's a great little app. Stands out from the rest, and shines in doing so.

• edited August 2014

This reads like "a list of good/interesting apps".

I'd rather hear about the particular bits of particular apps that people think stand out among its peers. Help others get reminded of the joy within apps they already own, help contemplaters know what helps a particular app stand out and let developers know about the bits that make you open an app again and again. 'I like animoog' doesn't do any of that.

Some from me:

• Animoog's playing surface stands out. I particular: the ability to lock scale when switching presets and being able to dial in the exact amount of pitch variation between tines. Epic.
    • Magellan's preset management stands out (including support for midi bank/program changes).
    • Impaktor's tones and playability stand out. Instant joy.
    • Thumbjam's samples, playability and depth of features.
    • Funkbox's and Loopy's MIDI config and clock sync.
    • SoundPrism's 'play in key' loveliness along with the ability to add accidentals at will stands out (where as most scale interfaces leave you constrained to what you've set while you play).
    • Xynthesizer's morphing and midi-out-grid splitting.
    • Nanostudio's 'complete song' workflow, piano roll editor, eden-as-sampler+synth and triple bussing in the TRG stand out.
    • Auria's mixer and plugins.
    • iMS-20's patch panel (how awesome would it be to have AB filter slot there?)
    • Samplr's ability to mine new sounds from otherwise boring wave files.
    • NanoLoop's grid/step manipulation. Every step of the grid allows you to manipulate every parameter of the sound. Plus you can easily transpose and time shift the entire grid. Want either/both in every step sequencer. So powerful.
    • Cassini's delay2! And programmable LFOs.
    • Tera's multistage envelopes.
    • Samplr and Loopy's in app help/tutorials
    • Music Studio's including instruments
    • Beatmaker's chop lab (and drum sampler generally)

So much 'stand out' stuff. For pennies. We're lucky.

• Voice synth's breadth of tones is pretty rad too. In particular, it's somewhat shocking how far a 31 band EQ can go with regard to sonic manipulation. It's simple and obvious, duh, but somewhat surprisingly powerful and missing from other instruments.

• edited August 2014

@syrupcore said:

This reads like "a list of good/interesting apps".

I'd rather hear about the particular bits of particular apps that people think stand out among its peers...

I hinted at the MetaModule for Sunvox, and basically it's like a plug-in creator. It combines all the modules you have in a chain into one module, which you can then save and load as a separate single module.

Other modules are pretty cool and unique too, like:

MultiSynth- let's you send input signals to multiple connected modules.

Sound2Ctl- use sound itself as a modulation control.

Then you have the effects within the pattern editor, which by themselves might not be that unique, but when added to the mix make Sunvox a nice balance between experimental and traditional.

• @1p18 exactly. Meant to mention your comment actually. It inspired mine. :)

• edited August 2014

Apollo - midi over Bluetooth has simplified my device-to-ipad routings to the point where I don't think I could live without this app. I at least wouldn't want to live in a world without it.

Midimorphosis - I like the idea of being able to record myself humming or whistling a melody then converting it to midi later and assigning it to an instrument in Beatmaker 2.

Symphonix Evolution - Audiobus compatible sheet music and tablature app. Great for if you ever plan on bringing your ideas to a band.

Audulus - Modular WITH the spaghetti! Very fun modular simulation. I learned a ton about partials and additive synthesis while constructing a kick and snare drum synth.

These aren't the greatest or most used apps on my device, but they certainly stand out in some way. Even amongst the greats like Sunrizer, Nave, Animoog, etc etc.

• There are a lot of apps I like, but these stood out for me.

Used most in my work flow.

• Audiobus, AudioShare, MT DAW, and Cubasis

Effects

• Bias, the sugar bytes effects apps, along with AUFX, and Holderness apps.

Guitar Effects

• Bias, JamUp, AmpliTube, ToneStack, and Flying Haggis

Midi

• midiBridge, Thumbjam, TC-Data, Arpeggionome, Secret Base Design, and midiSequencer.

Synths

• iSEM, WaveGenerator, Animoog, iVCS3, and TC-11.

Unique Functionality

• SunVox, BitWiz, WerkBench, and Caustic for having such a wide variety of synths, excellent documentation and efficiency (the two TC apps could go here too).

iKaossilator for creating loops.

Percussion

• FunkBox, Impaktor, and DrumJam

Vocoder

• iVoxel and Voice Synth.
  • Samplr, xynthesizr, impaktor, bm2, isem, thumbjam, turnado, animoog...