Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited February 24

• Is that an intro price??

• @magnusovi said:
    Is that an intro price??

I’m not sure

• Been waiting for this one. Bought it right away. 🙂

• I see it’s rocketing up the “Trivia” charts at #35

• @oat_phipps said:
    I see it’s rocketing up the “Trivia” charts at #35

Hilarious!!!

• 118 in navigation

• @Poppadocrock said:

118 in navigation

Finally a navigation app that can smooth out all the bumps in the road while still retaining the grit of asphalt 🙃

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Poppadocrock said:

118 in navigation

Finally a navigation app that can smooth out all the bumps in the road while still retaining the grit of asphalt 🙃

😂🤣🤣

• The on off switches on this are terrible so small and fiddly and some don’t work for each module very poor job of GUI.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The on off switches on this are terrible so small and fiddly and some don’t work for each module very poor job of GUI.

I do hope the developer re-thinks the iOS UI strategy for this plug-in.

The desktop version of this plug-in is close to perfection and works well in the iPad too (I sent the plug-in window over to my iPad to check how it would look and I like it).
    https://ddmf.eu/thestrip-channel-strip-plugin/

So for now considering the microscopic UI elements I'll postpone my purchase to see if things will change...
    ...In this case it's NOT about the pricing but more about usability and my eyes.

@ninobeatz In case you're in touch with the developer forward the request to have the desktop UI as an option in the iOS/iPad version of this plug-in.

Cheers!

• edited October 2022

I see they forgot to pay for a GUI artist. Judging the screenshots, the text of the compressor/gate section is placed way to high, it sticks to the rotary knob numbers. Also the font of the logo ‘The Strip’ is too small and spaced too far apart.

• @Samu To be honest feels like a bit of a money grab the amount of non effort put into this I know it’s based on vintage but it’s like an app from 15 years ago. Needs a better GUI and a manual wouldn’t go a miss.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @Samu To be honest feels like a bit of a money grab the amount of non effort put into this I know it’s based on vintage but it’s like an app from 15 years ago. Needs a better GUI and a manual wouldn’t go a miss.

Yeah, I mean I have the Analog Obsession stuff for Logic and I can't honestly hear that much difference between the DDMF strip and those plug-ins if I'm after 'that' kind of sound. (Most of the time I just use the stock Logic stuff and it gets me 99% in the direction where I'm going).

But yeah, I think I'll pass this time around...

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @Samu To be honest feels like a bit of a money grab the amount of non effort put into this I know it’s based on vintage but it’s like an app from 15 years ago. Needs a better GUI and a manual wouldn’t go a miss.

Exactly. My problem is that I already have the 6144 EQ, on which this is based, and which has a much smoother GUI, matching the appearance of the Neve 5033. I don't need a gate, and I'm not sure I need another compressor. So it's hard to work up a need for this.

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The on off switches on this are terrible so small and fiddly and some don’t work for each module very poor job of GUI.

I do hope the developer re-thinks the iOS UI strategy for this plug-in.

The desktop version of this plug-in is close to perfection and works well in the iPad too (I sent the plug-in window over to my iPad to check how it would look and I like it).
    https://ddmf.eu/thestrip-channel-strip-plugin/

So for now considering the microscopic UI elements I'll postpone my purchase to see if things will change...
    ...In this case it's NOT about the pricing but more about usability and my eyes.

@ninobeatz In case you're in touch with the developer forward the request to have the desktop UI as an option in the iOS/iPad version of this plug-in.

Cheers!

I'll send an email to DDMF discussing everything brought up here. Hope it helps

• As someone who has only recently come over from the hardware realm, I'm perplexed by the ongoing insistence of developers to try to make their GUI look like hardware. This kind of tool feels like an opportunity to streamline the design so it can appear on the screen at the same time as other elements within the channel. This isn't the worst example (it doesn't have fake handles or "wood" side cheeks to improve tone) but design should be about more than just marketing presentation.

I'm not a developer. Is there room for alternate GUI modes?

• @suboptimal said:
    As someone who has only recently come over from the hardware realm, I'm perplexed by the ongoing insistence of developers to try to make their GUI look like hardware. This kind of tool feels like an opportunity to streamline the design so it can appear on the screen at the same time as other elements within the channel. This isn't the worst example (it doesn't have fake handles or "wood" side cheeks to improve tone) but design should be about more than just marketing presentation.

I'm also annoyed by devs doing lazy ports. Fine if it's cheap. But if it's at a fairly high price point by iOS standards, we should be getting a good UI experience. Add to that the fact that even the vast majority of pure iOS based devs are still thinking too much in terms of emulating hardware instead of making an interface that makes the most of the touchscreen and you end up with quite a frustrating situation. Yes, even some of my favourite iOS devs, not gonna mention any names though.

Message to devs: take advantage of the touchscreen. Don't slavishly emulate hardware knobs with all their limitations. Make apps that resize beautifully, like FAC apps do. Think out of the box... I could go on but I'll stop here.

• @Gavinski said:

Message to devs: take advantage of the touchscreen. Don't slavishly emulate hardware knobs with all their limitations. Make apps that resize beautifully, like FAC apps do. Think out of the box... I could go on but I'll stop here.

Totally agree here!

I think one the reasons we see more of these 'lazy ports' is that many some seem to like and prefer the idea of using a keyboard and mouse with their iPads making the priority of well designed touch-interface secondary (ie. properly sized touch-areas, UI elements, gestures, readable font-sizes etc. etc.) which is really sad to see.

I do have an Apple Pencil but it's for drawing not for use with apps with badly designed UI with microscopic UI elements.

Ok, enough nagging for now...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

Totally agree here!

I think one the reasons we see more of these 'lazy ports' is that many some seem to like and prefer the idea of using a keyboard and mouse with their iPads making the priority of well designed touch-interface secondary (ie. properly sized touch-areas, UI elements, gestures, readable font-sizes etc. etc.) which is really sad to see.

I do have an Apple Pencil but it's for drawing not for use with apps with badly designed UI with microscopic UI elements.

Cheers!

Well, I think this is worth doing a poll on, so I'm going to make a poll thread about whether people generally use a mouse with their ipad or not.

• edited October 2022

@Gavinski said:

@Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

Totally agree here!

Cheers!

Well, I think this is worth doing a poll on, so I'm going to make a poll thread about whether people generally use a mouse with their ipad or not.

The only time I used a mouse was when making tutorial videos but I’ve left that endeavor to the more motivated of the gang. Pencil for drawing only. Most apps work well with touch interface. Even old Caustic! Those that don’t maybe need the devs to be made aware? 💀👍🏼

• ALBALB
    edited October 2022

UI shortcomings aside, it sounds good and seems pretty useful so far.

• Yeah, the UI is impossible to use on my iPhone, but on my 12.9" M1 Pro, it's passable. Then again, if I'm using Cubasis, I'll just utilise that channel strip instead.

• Spoke with DDMF, the button functionality and other issues will be addressed in an update.

• Talk about pin the tail on the donkey!

• McDMcD
    edited October 2022

I noticed this app has a “phase invert” option… I see advice to mix the output of a channel with itself with phase inverted.

What tools are available to do this? It’s likely there’s an option in AUM but I’d like to see a little discussion of this feature in the channel strip. Did the Neve Console have such a button?

NOTE: AUM does have a “phase invert” feature.

• @suboptimal said:
    As someone who has only recently come over from the hardware realm, I'm perplexed by the ongoing insistence of developers to try to make their GUI look like hardware. This kind of tool feels like an opportunity to streamline the design so it can appear on the screen at the same time as other elements within the channel. This isn't the worst example (it doesn't have fake handles or "wood" side cheeks to improve tone) but design should be about more than just marketing presentation.

Regarding this, check out the compressor on the ButterSynth beta….

I don’t know if it’s clear form the pic but they managed to display all the useful info in just a tiny bar space. Nice, clear and useful.
    And this is just one of the many fx for a synth, not a dedicated app. But it says a lot about giving proper importance to UI and how it improves the experience and, ultimately, makes the process more enjoyable. Hardware is nice because twisting knobs is pleasing, the smell of metal is exciting. Twisting knobs on a screen is just an utilitarian gesture, vu needle meters on a screen provide very little info and take up a lot of space.
    To recap on the tiny ButterSynth compressor bar you can tell where the threshold is at, how the signal is peaking over the threshold, what kind of sound reduction is going on and how it’s compensated with make up gain.
    On the huge Strip VU meter you get hardly any info. But it looks retro. Funnily most of us, even the not-so-young haven’t even owned one of these compressors, ever. It’s not like we miss the “real thing” or feel at home with these designs. And it’s relevant to specifically point out the compressor use case as it’s a very common tool that can be challenging to use well, a good ui and metering is very helpful in seeing what’s actually going on and learning to use it properly. Want to use your ears?. Don’t look!. 😜

• I just bought The Strip because I thought it wouldn't be so bad with the UI on my ipad (9.7") - DUH! The mini switches are a disaster and the preset browser is a total mess. I'm considering returning it and just getting the original 6144 because it sounds really great!

• @Knoepfe said:
    I just bought The Strip because I thought it wouldn't be so bad with the UI on my ipad (9.7") - DUH! The mini switches are a disaster and the preset browser is a total mess. I'm considering returning it and just getting the original 6144 because it sounds really great!

Email the dev and ask if he can fix it, would be best. In my experience he can be slow to respond if he ever does, so probably better to apply for a refund before you run out of time