Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneStack Updated to v. 1.1 (Audio Improvements; Increased bass/output)

What's New in Version 1.1

• More robust audio subsystem

• Increased bottom-end response for amps

• Enhancements to amp tonestack behavior

• All amps also get ~3dB output volume increase

• Latest Audiobus SDK - now iOS 8 compatible

• Many other improvements & fixes

• Thank you for all your feedback!!

Well, here's a quick update from Yonac that seems to address two concerns I saw a lot of people express (but neither of which I necessarily agreed with), which was: (1) ToneStack's amps sound a little "thin"; and (2) Yonac tends not to update their apps very often.

I actually disagreed with the general assessment that the amps lacked bass, and didn't really notice low output in TS, but I welcome the changes. Anybody notice any sound improvement or other changes?

Comments

• I was happy to see the point release this morning as well, although I haven’t had a chance to plug in yet. One bug I came across was that it didn’t seem to hold background mode consistently, so I’m wondering if that’s resolved as well.

I almost never use these amp modelers without EQ, so I didn’t notice any audio “robustness” issues.

• I didn't think they sounded thin before, at least not after changing the high treble and low middle default settings on the amps, but the improved bottom-end response is certainly noticable and things seem more balanced now.

The Background Mode bug hasn't been fixed, though; it still returns to 'off' on the next session.

Not sure what they meant by a 'more robust' audio system. Stability issues? I haven't had any stability problems, but maybe on older devices?

• @mmp - that's good to hear!

I use ToneStack on a ipad2, which is plenty old, and while it does hog resources, it isn't particularly prone to stuttering or clicks compared to other guitar apps.

It sounds like a subtle adjustment, which is all that was needed, but I think 90% of this is just putting something out there to show that they heard a particular complaint and "addressed" it. Like you said, if all of the amps didn't literally start on "11" for both treble and presence when you load them, I doubt anyone calls them "thin" sounding. Think about what a real-life amp would be like on those settings!

• The background mode bug is really annoying!I was hoping so much this would get fixed...

• @Schimanski said:

The background mode bug is really annoying!I was hoping so much this would get fixed...

You have to turn on background audio each time you load the app up, or it won't play in AudioBus, etc.?

• @StormJH1 said:

@Schimanski said:

The background mode bug is really annoying!I was hoping so much this would get fixed...

You have to turn on background audio each time you load the app up, or it won't play in AudioBus, etc.?

It works with Audiobus, but if you want to use it by itself and have the background audio working, you have to reset it each time you open TS.

• edited July 2014

This update caused an Audiobus problem. Everything worked well before the update. Load Audiobus and then Tonestack in an input slot and there'll be no Tonestack sound. Usually AB's speaker icon will show up by default in the output slot but it doesn't after this Tonestack update. When I manually choose the speaker as output, there still is no Tonestack audio. I have to put something in the effects slot to get Tonestack's sound. I also have to populate the effects slot when Loopy is the output app. For some reason, Cubasis doesn't have this problem. Tonestack + Cubasis works as it should.

• edited July 2014

Duplicate post. Sorry. Mod, please delete.

• @cheesesteak the original is gone too now...
    confirmed no automatic speaker output in AB, something might have broken in their implementation of the latest AB SDK...

• edited July 2014

I'd delete and redownload but I don't want to lose my presets. I filled out a support form on their page. Hopefully this is an easy fix. I'm loving Tonestack.

• Do you need to have the "reduce feedback " button enabled if in audiobus straight to output? You need to do that in standalone with tonestack if listening through the speaker.

• @cheesesteak said:

This update caused an Audiobus problem. Everything worked well before the update. Load Audiobus and then Tonestack in an input slot and there'll be no Tonestack sound. Usually AB's speaker icon will show up by default in the output slot but it doesn't after this Tonestack update. When I manually choose the speaker as output, there still is no Tonestack audio. I have to put something in the effects slot to get Tonestack's sound. I also have to populate the effects slot when Loopy is the output app. For some reason, Cubasis doesn't have this problem. Tonestack + Cubasis works as it should.

Crap. Has anyone tried TS in the INPUT slot and Auria in the OUTPUT slot with nothing in the EFFECT slot?

• mmpmmp
    edited July 2014

Well, I do have to set the speaker manually, as cheesesteak described, but after that everything appears normal, I could monitor and record normally in both Auria and Loopy HD. Don't have Cubasis. Auria also detects and creates a new track for Tonestack as normal.

edit: did not need to put anything in the AB FX slot.

• @mmp said:
    >

edit: did not need to put anything in the AB FX slot.

>
    Not for Loopy?

• Loopy worked fine with TS in input, Loopy in output and nothing in FX.

• edited July 2014

Oh, well. I've tried a number of AB+Tonestack+Loopy start up combinations but can't get Tonestack to produce audio with Loopy unless there's something in the effects slot. I'm on an iPad Air. Maybe that has something to do with it.

On the other hand, AUFX:PeakQ is the bomb! I had forgotten about it.

• Mine is an iPad4, latest iOS.

• cheesesteak - i have the same issue happen. I'm on version 1.0 still though - haven't upgraded yet.