Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nambu - patch creation discussion

Let's discuss tips/tricks/advice and patches for iceGear's Nambu

Comments

• A good idea. Video tutorials would probably be best due to the relative complexity of the app.

• Here is a question for other Nambu explorers : has anyone managed (sticking to the FM operators) get a good brass/trumpet like sound. I know it isn't meant to be a Dx7 -- but with two operators on a DX7 -- one can get a pretty nice trumpet/brass basis to build on. I am wondering if anyone has tried and had success.

• The texture oscillator has one shot samples from 92 to 127, they are very useful.

I don't see myself making complicated things with this synth, but it is very nice to program, even not knowing a lot about it.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is a question for other Nambu explorers : has anyone managed (sticking to the FM operators) get a good brass/trumpet like sound. I know it isn't meant to be a Dx7 -- but with two operators on a DX7 -- one can get a pretty nice trumpet/brass basis to build on. I am wondering if anyone has tried and had success.

If there's a DX7 patch you can post here, it should be pretty easy to duplicate. I've been learning my way around the FM side of things by trying to replicate Phasemaker and KQ Dixie patches. Though usually I get somewhere in the ballpark and then get distracted with ways to mess with it - coming up with something I like better, but not real close to the original.

Anyway, my approach would be to mimic the algorithm as best I can with the matrix, then work to make the envelopes and ratios close to the patch. That kind of gets me close. It takes some head scratching to translate the algorithm to the matrix. It would probably be easier to sketch it out on paper first but I'm usually too lazy to do that.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Here is a question for other Nambu explorers : has anyone managed (sticking to the FM operators) get a good brass/trumpet like sound. I know it isn't meant to be a Dx7 -- but with two operators on a DX7 -- one can get a pretty nice trumpet/brass basis to build on. I am wondering if anyone has tried and had success.

If there's a DX7 patch you can post here, it should be pretty easy to duplicate. I've been learning my way around the FM side of things by trying to replicate Phasemaker and KQ Dixie patches. Though usually I get somewhere in the ballpark and then get distracted with ways to mess with it - coming up with something I like better, but not real close to the original.

Anyway, my approach would be to mimic the algorithm as best I can with the matrix, then work to make the envelopes and ratios close to the patch. That kind of gets me close. It takes some head scratching to translate the algorithm to the matrix. It would probably be easier to sketch it out on paper first but I'm usually too lazy to do that.

My jumping off point was a two-operator KQ Dixie patch (I took a trumpet patch and turned off all the operators except for the two the provide the primary sound). I recreated the algorithm on Nambu with parameters as close to matching as possible and spent a fair amount of time tweaking and the sound is lacking something.

In KQ, you use the operator with feedback on it as the modulator. Ratio 1.0. Feedback set to max.

I construct a similar patch in Nambu -- and experiment with parameters because the Feedback has a lot more range. I can get vaguely into the same territory, but the KQ patch is "brassier" for lack of a better word.

Here are the patches:

• edited August 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

My jumping off point was a two-operator KQ Dixie patch (I took a trumpet patch and turned off all the operators except for the two the provide the primary sound). I recreated the algorithm on Nambu with parameters as close to matching as possible and spent a fair amount of time tweaking and the sound is lacking something.

In KQ, you use the operator with feedback on it as the modulator. Ratio 1.0. Feedback set to max.

I construct a similar patch in Nambu -- and experiment with parameters because the Feedback has a lot more range. I can get vaguely into the same territory, but the KQ patch is "brassier" for lack of a better word.

Here are the patches:

Can you post a brief video (or audio file) comparing the sounds?

• I'll post a video later. It might be tomorrow before I can get to it

• @espiegel123 said:
    I'll post a video later. It might be tomorrow before I can get to it

Thanks, because I'm also very interested to see what is the difference.

• I don't really understand the feedback in Nambu. I always thought FM Feedback had to do with feeding an operator back into itself. I don't know if that's what the feedback setting is doing or not. My guess is that some of the difference between patches I try to replicate is due to difference in feedback, and much is to do with difference in envelopes.

I've realized that replicating FM patches is only enough to get me in the ball park. I've yet to grok Nambu enough to really have a feel for how to meld a patch to sound just like what I'm going for. Getting closer though. On the other hand, that's, fine since it's leading to more interesting results than the same mediocre patches I produce with most apps.

• @wim: feedback In Nambu’s FM oscillators is the same as in other FM synths (like DX7/KQ). It allows more feedback than the DX7. The max feedback on a DX7 seems similar to about 3 o’clock on Nambu.

It may simply be the particular implementation of the FM math generating waveforms slightly differently. But I am curious to see if I can get close. It’s a nice sawtooth you sound.

• I am curious whether you will find one of these fuller/richer than the other.

• Listen on decent speakers or headphones. Through the iPad speaker they sound more similar than they do played on good speakers.

• The one on the right (Yellow) sounded more brassy and the one on the left more... flaccid?

• Put them both in a mix and I bet (1) 99 out of 100 people can't tell a difference (or care); (2) the more flaccid one will cut through the mix better.

• edited August 2022

The one on the left sounds like it has been compressed. The one on the right sounds more natural. But which one is which?

• I'll wait to reveal which is which till some more folks have had a chance to respond.

• edited August 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    I'll wait to reveal which is which till some more folks have had a chance to respond.

Getting my bet in early: I think the one on the Left is the Nambu version. Nambu does not do a rich, full/fat sound (at least based on what I've heard so far).

• edited August 2022

@espiegel123 Just from listening, the envelope and modulation settings must have been different in both synths. It might be worth fine-tuning them to better match in sound - if you haven't hit any parameter range limit on one of the synths, that is.

• @rs2000 said:
    @espiegel123 Just from listening, the envelope and modulation settings must have been different in both synths. It might be worth fine-tuning them to better match in sound - if you haven't hit any parameter range limit on one of the synths, that is.

In terms of modulation the only modulation other than the envelopes is the modulating oscillator. The ratio is identical. So that leaves the oscillator’s amplitude and feedback. My reason for posting this is that this is the closest match I have arrived at.

And was hoping that others might be exploring similar territory and been more successful.

As I write, it occurs to me that I should try giving both versions a flat envelope and use that as a way of comparing the timbre before trying to do more careful envelope matching.

• Indeed @espiegel123, that's a good idea to reduce the complexity of the insane amount of possible parameter combinations.

• Right is Nambu left is KQ

• Let’s get it up on Patchstorage, whoever takes this on should ask the developer first, and be able to upload a few patches. At least that’s what PS says on adding a platform

• I’ve been having a ton of fun using the included presets as jumping points, deconstructing them, and building back into something different. The possibilities are obviously endless with this synth in terms of sound design. Even the most basic patch can be turned into something amazing just by running it through a modulated filter with some of the built in (really good I might add!) reverb.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I’ve been having a ton of fun using the included presets as jumping points, deconstructing them, and building back into something different. The possibilities are obviously endless with this synth in terms of sound design. Even the most basic patch can be turned into something amazing just by running it through a modulated filter with some of the built in (really good I might add!) reverb.

I agree even though there aren’t a ton, I thought the patches sounded good.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am curious whether you will find one of these fuller/richer than the other.

i like left one more.. has something in bottom spectrum which makes it a more fat.. here is it subtle bit i believe on more complex sounds it will be more noticeable

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Put them both in a mix and I bet (1) 99 out of 100 people can't tell a difference (or care)

Exactly this 👆

• I barely know what Im doing with it yet but I made these during my 2nd (I think) play-around with Nambu a few days ago. I was going for DX-ish starter patches. Haven't tried to make any mallets or perc yet.
    After some mucking around I found initializing and and then selecting a matrix “template”, then dialling back all the matrix circles pretty handy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6r33xx0miaeq0bd/AABOJEB_umPQozI3znrYiaYya?dl=0

• @BirbHope said:
    I barely know what Im doing with it yet but I made these during my 2nd (I think) play-around with Nambu a few days ago. I was going for DX-ish starter patches. Haven't tried to make any mallets or perc yet.
    After some mucking around I found initializing and and then selecting a matrix “template”, then dialling back all the matrix circles pretty handy.

I look forward to checking them out. Thanks for posting.

• @BirbHope said:
    I barely know what Im doing with it yet but I made these during my 2nd (I think) play-around with Nambu a few days ago. I was going for DX-ish starter patches. Haven't tried to make any mallets or perc yet.

Thanks for that little patch making tip as well.