Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM: Bad Signal alarm

2»

Comments

• I had that error for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. Not had it since.

• Ran into this and can reproduce a "Bad Signal" alarm with just the built-in LP/HP filter. If I start with two channels, add LP/HP filter to both and leave alone for >1 hour, the levels spike and end up as Bad Signal. Nothing is plugged into the USB interface. Bypassing the filters clears the levels.

• The preset “transient resonator” in TTAP
    causes bad signal every time...
    Reported to the developer.

• edited February 2023

@prolog said:
    Ran into this and can reproduce a "Bad Signal" alarm with just the built-in LP/HP filter. If I start with two channels, add LP/HP filter to both and leave alone for >1 hour, the levels spike and end up as Bad Signal. Nothing is plugged into the USB interface. Bypassing the filters clears the levels.

Are you sure you don't have a feedback loop there, i.e. the "USB 1+2" outputs aren't somehow routed to the "USB 1" input? It might even just be crosstalk inside the interface. i.e., the noise being generated in the A/D converter in the input is fed through AUM to the output D/A converter, where it bleeds back into the input (no electronic system, or any real-world system for that matter, is 100% precise or "silent"). This would explain why it takes very long for the level to rise high enough to go to 145 dB.

• edited April 2023

Also received bad signal message. The only effect in the chain was GSiRotary. The bad signal reset once I ejected the effect.

Any fix for this?

• edited October 2023

I had repeated bad signal errors (with distorted audio) using Quantiloop with AUM, I switched to Audiobus, now everything's stable and fine. I can't afford any risk with a live setup.

• wimwim
    edited August 2023

@ckermo said:
    I had repeated bad signal errors (with distorted audio) using Quantiloop with AUM, I switched to Audiobus, now everything's stable and fine. I can't any risk with a live setup.

It may be stable, but it's not technically fine if Quantiloop is acting in such a way as it would trigger that message. But what works, works, I suppose.

It may be that Quantiloop is using one set of routines for straight Inter-App Audio and another for working through the Audiobus SDK. So I can see how working in Audiobus might get around Quantiloop's problem. Just to be clear though, Quantiloop is triggering the error. AUM is just flagging it.

• edited October 2023

Thanks for your answer. I thought it was behind me but actually I'm getting communication errors with Audiobus as well now. So you're right, seems like the culprit is Quantiloop. I reported the problem. Wait and see.

• Got a Bad Signal in AUM when adding the RE-1 Tape Machine to a FX slot. (iPad Pro M1 12.9", iPadOS 17.2, AUM 1.4.5(321), RE-1 Tape Machine 1.1.5(158))

Already rebooted my iPad, re-installed AUM and RE-1 Tape Machine, but at the moment I place RE-1 in the FX slot the Bad Signal warning appears immediately. After disabling TE-1 all is normal again. Any ideas?

• @Pierre118 said:
    Got a Bad Signal in AUM when adding the RE-1 Tape Machine to a FX slot. (iPad Pro M1 12.9", iPadOS 17.2, AUM 1.4.5(321), RE-1 Tape Machine 1.1.5(158))

Already rebooted my iPad, re-installed AUM and RE-1 Tape Machine, but at the moment I place RE-1 in the FX slot the Bad Signal warning appears immediately. After disabling TE-1 all is normal again. Any ideas?

That’s odd. I use RE-1 quite a bit in AUM. I am still on iOS 16.x though

• Does buffer size make a difference? Does it make a difference where the input comes from?

• edited December 2023

Thanks for the reply! I saw your video with the RE-1 Tape Machine and I liked it a lot, so I wanted to try myself but not working because of the Bad Signal error. I also tried ApeMatrix and there is the same problem. So it looks like it's the iPadOS version or RE-1 itself.

I will contact Kai about this.

• edited December 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    Does buffer size make a difference? Does it make a difference where the input comes from?

No, both makes no difference at all.

btw....just contacted Kai about this.

• edited December 2023

@espiegel123 Update : Kai replied to my e-mail within 15 minutes, talking about wonderful support.......

He gave me a link to the latest testflight version of RE-1 and that solved the problem!

• @Pierre118 said:
    @espiegel123 Update : Kai replied to my e-mail within 15 minutes, talking about wonderful support.......

He gave me a link to the latest testflight version of RE-1 and that solved the problem!

Awesome!

• Been getting this with couple of Nembrini apps…
    Just to clarify…it’s a problem Nembrini’s end?

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Been getting this with couple of Nembrini apps…
    Just to clarify…it’s a problem Nembrini’s end?

Yes. That error message means the AU sent an illegal value. These can crash the audio system. An AU should never send them out.

• Thanks for confirming, will try to notify Nembrini

• Nembrini saying they can’t replicate. Can anyone with Voltour or LoFi Clipper confirm?
    Iphone12 iOS 17.1.2
    Have rebooted and deleted app and reinstalled to no avail.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Nembrini saying they can’t replicate. Can anyone with Voltour or LoFi Clipper confirm?
    Iphone12 iOS 17.1.2
    Have rebooted and deleted app and reinstalled to no avail.

Let Nembrini contact Kai Aras, he fixed the (looking like) same problem for RE-1 Tape machine. Kai Aras e-mail : [email protected]

• I think I need to get them to acknowledge there’s an issue first of all which is why I was wondering if anyone else was getting same message.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    I think I need to get them to acknowledge there’s an issue first of all which is why I was wondering if anyone else was getting same message.

If you haven’t, make a screen recording and send it to them with information about your device. OS and interface.

As I understand it, these bad values should never be sent out from an AU.

Does it happen immediately?

• Yes, as soon as you put it in a slot. Have sent screen shots/info to them. They say they can’t replicate 🤷🏼‍♂️