Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke

I hope this gem is does not get overlooked or forgotten! After spending some time reading the Lyra-8 manual and playing around with LIRA-8 on my mac, I've gotten to really appreciate what Bram accomplished.

Comments

• Interesting, are you saying that Mononoke shares similar features with Lyra-8?

• I ask because Lyra-8 is on my wishlist!

• I'd say it's heavenly inspired by it, specially regarding the feedback-based signal path, even if it's not a feature-by-feature clone.

• edited June 2022

@Grandbear said:
    I'd say it's heavenly inspired by it, specially regarding the feedback-based signal path, even if it's not a feature-by-feature clone.

This makes sense, I have been reading more about both. Time to dig into Mononoke more, thank you!

• I mapped it to an ec4 controller x 2. Its cool having parameter names on controller but you only need, if you forget or to glance which page. 4 pages or 4 x 16 encoders is x 2 mononke. Probably better than a lyra 8 functionality but might again just be a case of Ripplemaker vs Ocoast. Where sound might differ. Actually havent used for a while but I keep my controller for this. Its just now controller is on opposite hand. Shouldnt be as bad as a keyboard and controller or scratching. With opposite hands.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Grandbear said:
    I'd say it's heavenly inspired by it, specially regarding the feedback-based signal path, even if it's not a feature-by-feature clone.

This makes sense, I have been reading more about both. Time to dig into Mononoke more, thank you!

Yes, I would say that too. Clearly heavily inspired. So many aspects are identical, though Mononoke seems to interpret the aspects of the concept in new ways, so to me it sounds "softer" generally. Seems like Lyra-8 has a kind of FM feel (and in fact works like FM) and Mononoke uses feedback to cross affect the voices (where Lyra uses modulation).

At certain settings on the LIRA/Lyra, a small movement in delay time or modulation creates glorious changes in the sound! I'm sure I'll be able to find those places in Mononoke too. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with Mononoke!

For anyone who is interested in the desktop emulation of the Lyra-8 , it's here:
    https://mikemorenodsp.gumroad.com/l/lira-8

• @gkillmaster said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Grandbear said:

Yes, I would say that too. Clearly heavily inspired. So many aspects are identical, though Mononoke seems to interpret the aspects of the concept in new ways, so to me it sounds "softer" generally. Seems like Lyra-8 has a kind of FM feel (and in fact works like FM) and Mononoke uses feedback to cross affect the voices (where Lyra uses modulation).

At certain settings on the LIRA/Lyra, a small movement in delay time or modulation creates glorious changes in the sound! I'm sure I'll be able to find those places in Mononoke too. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with Mononoke!

For anyone who is interested in the desktop emulation of the Lyra-8 , it's here:

Very cool! Did you by chance ever by a Lyra-8?

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Grandbear said:

I was thinking of it but am so happy with the LIRA-8 plugin that I decided to go with it for now.

• @gkillmaster said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Grandbear said:

I was thinking of it but am so happy with the LIRA-8 plugin that I decided to go with it for now.

I hear you! Hardware is pricey and takes up space.

• Mononoke is surely not over looked, its a genius touch synth app. It is beautifully uncomplicated and AUv3 open.

Lyra-8's analog nature will probably trump it for a few noiseniks but I honestly think Mononoke is a revelation for the iPad as instrument. Mononoke's touchplate interface makes for something much more expressive than the Lyra-8 touch pads.

• Yeah, I had one for a while, and there's something to be said about the tactility of knobs, etc, in addition to the unpredictability of analog oscillators (and more so when you use total feedback mode, including the delay), where a slight tweak can lead to entirely different textures over a rather long period of time. In contrast, I'd say Mononoke reaches stability faster after each tweak.

Like @Calverhall says, though, the pads are much more expressive and I'd say the modulation options are great to push past that perceived stability. I'd recommend trying Mononoke with reverb and wavefolder disabled at first in order to understand it better, as those tend to hide certain nuances, especially when you get more rhythmical results.

I tried LIRA-8 before owning a LYRA, I'll check it out again and see if my "stability" comment holds for it as well.

• I own a Lyra-8 and have Mononoke. As mentioned earlier: Mononoke seems to take its inspiration from the Lyra-8 but it’s still different. There is something with the Lyra-8 that makes it “alive”. This is not something that’s “between the ears”. A small almost microscopic turn of a knob can make a difference between something subtle or complete mayhem. Knobs influence each other (also when you not expect it) and there can be quite some “bleed” that adds character. You love the Lyra-8 or you hate it, personally I can really go into the zone with it. It’s build like a tank, looks awesome and has a ton of sweetspots. If you like what you can find online or hear and are willing to spend the money, do it! If you would like “something similar but not exactly the same” (sound and feel) get Mononoke.

• All great comments and they sync up with my experience, though my Mononoke experience is limited. So thanks for the tip about disabling the reverb and wavefolder @Grandbear! I'm trying to learn it today.

Funny thing is since I'm satisfied with LIRA-8, I turned my attention to another synth I've been wanting, the 0-Coast and it was suggested I look at Ripplemaker. And it is amazing like Mononoke and I think it's satisfying my itch for the 0-Coast. Odd coincidences.

• Ha ha! If I remember correctly, Bram Bos developed Ripplemaker partly as a way to try to stave off the urge to buy an 0-Coast.

• edited June 2022

A thing I made solely with Mononoke shortly after it was released, played live, one take, no other effects used:

I think it’s a unique instrument, and the touch interface is so well made for IPad.

• @gkillmaster said:

Thank you! I wasn't aware of this but have stood on the precipice of a Lyra-8 purchase a number of times and only my love for the slightly warmer, softer sounds of Mononoke held me back (I realised that I don't want a Lyra-8, I want the idea of the a Lyra-8 - if anything I want a hardware Mononoke, which, I feel, would be distinctly different)

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@gkillmaster said:

Thank you! I wasn't aware of this but have stood on the precipice of a Lyra-8 purchase a number of times and only my love for the slightly warmer, softer sounds of Mononoke held me back (I realised that I don't want a Lyra-8, I want the idea of the a Lyra-8 - if anything I want a hardware Mononoke, which, I feel, would be distinctly different)

Lyra-8 is still on my wishlist for sure!
    Thank you for reminding me of Mononoke, I loved it from the beginning but forgot I had it SMH

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@gkillmaster said:

Lyra-8 is still on my wishlist for sure!
    Thank you for reminding me of Mononoke, I loved it from the beginning but forgot I had it SMH

So glad to hear. Yeh, me too :) when I tried LIRA it dawned on me that I had Mononoke.

• @Stuntman_mike & @gkillmaster - the GAS for Lyra-8 is still there somewhat but iOS is the closest I've got to a regular GAS remedy yet (and Bram is the best pharmacist for such matters!)

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    @Stuntman_mike & @gkillmaster - the GAS for Lyra-8 is still there somewhat but iOS is the closest I've got to a regular GAS remedy yet (and Bram is the best pharmacist for such matters!)

A virtual Pepto Bismol

• I'd like to think he'd appreciate that description 😎

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    @Stuntman_mike & @gkillmaster - the GAS for Lyra-8 is still there somewhat but iOS is the closest I've got to a regular GAS remedy yet (and Bram is the best pharmacist for such matters!)

@gkillmaster said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

A virtual Pepto Bismol

😂

Lyra-8 is like a “boutique” synth: it’s beautiful, sounds delish and not mainstream but unlike “boutique” gear still reasonably priced.

• Can you imagine @brambos hardware???
    @PeteSasqwax got me dreaming over here 😂

• Yeah, I've been offered one for £500 in the last couple of months, which doesn't seem an unreasonable sum at all, but my workflow is almost entirely sample (and resample) based these days so it's hard to justify making such a niche device my most valuable piece of gear (excluding the iPad/laptops).

Since the big sell off, where I reduced my hardware to a handful of effects, a few mixers, a single monosynth and an MPC, I've found it increasingly difficult to justify buying things... which is upsettingly and frustratingly sensible, if I'm completely honest!

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Can you imagine @brambos hardware???

I can't even think which I'd need to own first!!

Also, I wish Bram would make a Rozeta style suite of AUv3 effects modules, breaking out some of his internal effects on his instruments so that we could run other sounds through them: the LPG and wavefolder from Ripplemaker, for instance, or the distortion circuit of Hammerhead

• @Stuntman_mike said:

Ruismaker's original idea was actually hardware, I love this story:
    https://medium.com/@brambos/ruismaker-whats-happening-8d3045c804ab

• @Grandbear said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

Oh wow 😯

• @gkillmaster said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Grandbear said:

I only see a VST file but it doest work in Ableton. Drag and drop the VST file and that's it?

Anyone can guide me to install this app? (Windows 10)

Thank you

• @Grandbear said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

And with that knowledge, now I'm going to integrate Mononoke into my next Ambient piece. :lol:

• I zoomed in on an icon on Bietfriek's profile page and looked at its heart.