Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatsurfing 2 | The Beat performers Best friend | haQ attaQ

2»

Comments

• edited November 2023

AFAICT, Beatsurfer has minimal MIDI support in AUv3.

Beatsurfer 2 AUv3 is an instrument plugin.

It is possible to route MIDI to it in an AUv3 host, however, I don't see any configuration for MIDI input in Beatsurfer, and MIDI IN is listed as one of the Next Features.

You can route MIDI out from some surfaces like MIDI XY, however, you can only output to CoreMIDI (e.g., Network Session or to the host's own input port).

• @mojozart said:
    AFAICT, there is a minimal MIDI support in AUv3.

It is possible to route MIDI to it in an AUv3 host, however, I don't see any configuration for MIDI input in Beatsurfer, and MIDI IN is listed as one of the Next Features.

You can route MIDI out from some surfaces like MIDI XY, however, you can only output to CoreMIDI (e.g., Network Session or to the host's own input port).

Oh. So what are the use cases for it as an auv3 in a DAW I wonder?

• @Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

Recording a performance as audio, I guess. Within the limitations (that might be lifted with updates) build your own controller surfaces.

• @Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

I also should have mentioned that Beatsurfer doesn't expose any AUv3 parameters, so there is currently no state saving provided by the host. You'll need to load the Beatsurfer "map" every time you restart the host.

• @Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

To use it as an instrument

• @HotStrange said:

@Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

Of course, but how? Can’t see anyway to record it in a DAW?

• @tyslothrop1 said:

@Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

Recording a performance as audio, I guess. Within the limitations (that might be lifted with updates) build your own controller surfaces.

Do you mean somehow recording the audio output of a midi track within the DAW? Such a bummer if so and odd as well - I mean why make it as an auV3 midi instrument if it can't record midi?

Such a cool and fun instrument so really hope there is more to the auV3 implementation. Thanks for all the tips and info as well gang!

• edited November 2023

It's definitely setup and optimized for live playing in a DAW right now. Perfect for loading in a host and playing live alongside your other favourite tools.

Best way to record in a DAW that I've found currently is to use the built in looper to record say an 8 bar loop, then record it as an 8 bar audio loop in the DAW.

They need to do some worth making the AUV3 more functional (multi out, midi fx) but as it stands it's still quite useful I think.

• @Tentype said:
    It's definitely setup and optimized for live playing in a DAW right now. Perfect for loading in a host and playing live alongside your other favourite tools.

Best way to record in a DAW that I've found currently is to use the built in looper to record say an 8 bar loop, then record it as an 8 bar audio loop in the DAW.

They need to do some worth making the AUV3 more functional (multi out, midi fx) but as it stands it's still quite useful I think.

Thanks @Tentype appreciate the tips. Never recorded the output of a midi track to an audio track so it seems I have some learning to do!

• @Cambler said:

@HotStrange said:

@Cambler said:

@mojozart said:

Of course, but how? Can’t see anyway to record it in a DAW?

What host are you using? I’ve only used it in Cubasis 3 and AUM but it’s works for me.

• @HotStrange said:
    What host are you using? I’ve only used it in Cubasis 3 and AUM but it’s works for me.

Hey HotStrange, I'm wanting to use Logic however I have Cubasis and still use it. Can I ask how you personally use it in Cubasis?

• @Cambler said:
    Thanks @Tentype appreciate the tips. Never recorded the output of a midi track to an audio track so it seems I have some learning to do!

Right now the auv3 is an audio instrument so it should be straight forward to record on an audio track in whatever DAW you use.

The looper I mentioned is built into the beatsurfing 2 interface. Build loops there then record in your DAW.

Hope this helps!

• @Tentype said:

@Cambler said:

Right now the auv3 is an audio instrument so it should be straight forward to record on an audio track in whatever DAW you use.

The looper I mentioned is built into the beatsurfing 2 interface. Build loops there then record in your DAW.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Tentype. Seeing as it's a midi instrument it can only record midi on it's own track (at least in Cubasis and Logic). Can I ask which DAW you use it in?

• Oh, I see the issue. I use it in Loopy Pro mostly because it's awesome for live use. Loopy has no issue grabbing audio from any source.

Logic is my main for studio stuff. I haven't even opened BS2 in it yet. In theory though you'd make a new bus on the instrument track, and make a new audio track, set the input of the audio track to the bus, and make sure everything is turned up and input monitoring is on. Then you should get the audio from BS2 flowing into an audio track to record either live loops or timeline clips.

• @Cambler said:

@HotStrange said:

Hey HotStrange, I'm wanting to use Logic however I have Cubasis and still use it. Can I ask how you personally use it in Cubasis?

My apologies, I opened my most recent track with Beatsurfing and it was just a stem recorded in AUM that I loaded into an audio track in C3 so I guess I’ve never used it to record directly in app but it does work with Audiobus if you have that. Just run it as an AUv3 there and route it into cubasis.

• @HotStrange said:

@Cambler said:

@HotStrange said:

My apologies, I opened my most recent track with Beatsurfing and it was just a stem recorded in AUM that I loaded into an audio track in C3 so I guess I’ve never used it to record directly in app but it does work with Audiobus if you have that. Just run it as an AUv3 there and route it into cubasis.

All good my friend. I'm hoping they update the AUV3 functionality as it's a such a fun and usable tool.

• @Tentype said:
    Oh, I see the issue. I use it in Loopy Pro mostly because it's awesome for live use. Loopy has no issue grabbing audio from any source.

Logic is my main for studio stuff. I haven't even opened BS2 in it yet. In theory though you'd make a new bus on the instrument track, and make a new audio track, set the input of the audio track to the bus, and make sure everything is turned up and input monitoring is on. Then you should get the audio from BS2 flowing into an audio track to record either live loops or timeline clips.

Ahh thank you so much. I'm a scrapper when using music tech so have many holes in my knowledge! Will try this later today. Thanks again!

• @Cambler said:

@HotStrange said:

@Cambler said:

@HotStrange said:

All good my friend. I'm hoping they update the AUV3 functionality as it's a such a fun and usable tool.

No prob! Hope you’re able to get it all figured out :)

• edited November 2023

You'll add BS2 to a MIDI track in Logic, but I think you can record it into an audio track, the same as any other AUv3 instrument.