Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Upcoming Drone Day this Saturday (and beyond)!

edited May 2022 in Other

My mate @sevenape pointed this out to me!

https://droneday.org/

I challenge all of you Ambient heads out there (myself included) to craft a drone by Safurday and post it below in celebration of this day! 😎 Cheers mates!

Edit: Soundcloud and YT links are valid! 😅 I should've mentioned that. I'll be uploading to Soundcloud.

Comments

• Challenge accepted. Gonna start on something now.

• it's a given man!!!!

• I’d love to, but I’ve been ambushed by a (visuals) gig…

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

I challenge all of you Ambient heads out there (myself included) to craft a drone by Safurday and post it below in celebration of this day! 😎 Cheers mates!

The rules of submission for that site suggest sending livestream links. But I'm guessing here you’re ok with Soundcloud links?

• @Svetlovska said:
    Challenge accepted. Gonna start on something now.

Woohoo! 😃

@sevenape said:
    it's a given man!!!!

Right on! 😎

@Krupa said:
    I’d love to, but I’ve been ambushed by a (visuals) gig…

That's alright. 🙂 Best of luck!

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

The rules of submission for that site suggest sending livestream links. But I'm guessing here you’re ok with Soundcloud links?

Yes I edited my original post just now, lol. I'll be using Soundcloud myself. 😃

• edited May 2022

Right then, here we go. I read the small print on the Drone Day site, and think that pre-prepared materials still count, so: there it is. (And if they don’t: eh? Whaddyagonnado?)

I created the initial drone loop in AUM using varispeeded and effected File Player loops, as is my wont, using VHS Synth, FRMS Droneo, Fundamental and the usual pantechnicon of reverb, then PaulXStretched the lot.

I also decided to branch out and try to add some visuals to this one a bit more interesting than watching AUM faders twitch up and down.

I discovered that adding visuals is a) an awful lot of work, and b) a lot of fun (or at least it will be when the learning curve for VS and LumaFusion ceases being vertical.)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Right then, here we go. I read the small print on the Drone Day site, and think that pre-prepared materials still count, so: there it is. (And if they don’t: eh? Whaddyagonnado?)

I created the initial drone loop in AUM using varispeeded and effected File Player loops, as is my wont, using VHS Synth, FRMS Droneo, Fundamental and the usual pantechnicon of reverb, then PaulXStretched the lot.

I also decided to branch out and try to add some visuals to this one a bit more interesting than watching AUM faders twitch up and down.

I discovered that adding visuals is a) an awful lot of work, and b) a lot of fun (or at least it will be when the learning curve for VS and LumaFusion ceases being vertical.)

Gorgeous, calming, mellow. I love this! I added VHS Synth to my list of synths to purchase.

SO, when you used PaulXStretch, did you use the Mac/Windows version, or the iOS Public Beta? (Either way, I'm adding "donate some money to @sonosaurus " on my to-do list, lol.)

• Awesome, didn’t know this existed. I’ve been working on a drone track using DrumLab into PaulXStretch, I’ll try and get it finished by Saturday and post here. Thanks for the heads up!

• Did you know that DM2 (drum machine) has a "drone" option? Just a small tip to add to the collection of tools to make drone sounds :)

• Sweet, I was just considering a DJI Mini3 Pro too, awesome timing!

• edited May 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic : thanks for bringing Drone Day to my attention, and thanks too for your comment and the YouTube subscribe. :) Yes, unusually mellow for me, I’ll agree. Not dark, just ambient… :)

I’m going to start using YouTube a bit more not just for my app ‘…minutes with’ hot takes, but also for longer ambient/dark ambient things which would eat up too much of my SoundCloud free allocation. I’m at the limit now and having to bin off earlier stuff to make room for fresh. Need to assemble some more BandCamp albums!

YouTube-ing up will additionally give me a space to mess with video, obvs. I like it, but wow, video is time consuming! ( and a whole new learning curve for me too.) Not to mention making me want the extra screen real estate of a Pro asap…

Yup, @sonosaurus is doing amazing work for the community with this. For me, literally a dream come true. The PaulXStretch is the IOS beta, and it is a superb, unique tool for atomising sound, way beyond anything (e.g. Loopy Pro, Koala, AudioStretch) else out there. PaulXStretch something, mess with the pitch and harmonic sliders, set the filter to random, and whack on Alteza, and you are 90% to an ambient masterpiece… :)

• @Identor : how do you access the DM2 drone function? I can’t seem to find it.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Identor : how do you access the DM2 drone function? I can’t seem to find it.

You can find it under the drums tab.

• @Identor : Doh! Should put my glasses on ! Thanks :)

• Perhaps this is too “eventful” to be considered a drone. I leave that for you to decide.

• I'm not allowed a four to the floor saturated kick on this right?

• @FastGhost said:
    I'm not allowed a four to the floor saturated kick on this right?

Only if you put it through PaulXStretch and the BPM is 0.3.

• Does it have to be done on iPhone or iPad?

• Mighty PaulXStretch for the win!
    I'm interested in works and will try to participate.

• @Tarekith said:
    Sweet, I was just considering a DJI Mini3 Pro too, awesome timing!

LOL! Well if you can record its sound and use PaulXStretch, that's valid, lol.

@Identor said:
    Did you know that DM2 (drum machine) has a "drone" option? Just a small tip to add to the collection of tools to make drone sounds :)

Added to my to-do list of purchases tomorrow. :)

@Svetlovska said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic : thanks for bringing Drone Day to my attention, and thanks too for your comment and the YouTube subscribe. :)

Absolutely mate! :)

Yes, unusually mellow for me, I’ll agree. Not dark, just ambient… :)

I’m going to start using YouTube a bit more not just for my app ‘…minutes with’ hot takes, but also for longer ambient/dark ambient things which would eat up too much of my SoundCloud free allocation. I’m at the limit now and having to bin off earlier stuff to make room for fresh. Need to assemble some more BandCamp albums!

That sounds super promising! :) Looking forward to what you come up with.

YouTube-ing up will additionally give me a space to mess with video, obvs. I like it, but wow, video is time consuming! ( and a whole new learning curve for me too.) Not to mention making me want the extra screen real estate of a Pro asap…

I hear ya. I need a 12.9" Pro soon to replace my 2017 one for sheet music.

Yup, @sonosaurus is doing amazing work for the community with this. For me, literally a dream come true. The PaulXStretch is the IOS beta, and it is a superb, unique tool for atomising sound, way beyond anything (e.g. Loopy Pro, Koala, AudioStretch) else out there. PaulXStretch something, mess with the pitch and harmonic sliders, set the filter to random, and whack on Alteza, and you are 90% to an ambient masterpiece… :)

I'm definitely getting the iOS public beta then! I need the standalone version so I can stretch the hell out of samples, plop them into AUM, and play back!

@rottencat said:
    Perhaps this is too “eventful” to be considered a drone. I leave that for you to decide.

Absolutely gorgeous! Not sure if "too eventful" either, but it's a gorgeous Ambient drone nevertheless.

@FastGhost said:
    I'm not allowed a four to the floor saturated kick on this right?

Sure. Stretch it out and add it into the drone! ;)

@el_bo said:
    Does it have to be done on iPhone or iPad?

Either is fine. :) Or even if you start on an iOS device and finish on a Mac or PC, or even if 100% Mac or PC (although iOS somewhere is preferred since this is an iOS forum lol), it's legit!

@FastGhost said:
    Deal.

Woohoo! :) Looking forward to it!

@Agatha_aga said:
    Mighty PaulXStretch for the win!
    I'm interested in works and will try to participate.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

• @rottencat : I’d call that a drone :) Lovely work. I think part of the art is riding that thin edge between wholly static, which can get. dull, or evolving too ‘fast’ and becoming a regular, albeit slow, song. It seems to me as a novice in the field that drone done well, as here, is a whole discipline to itself, where restraint, artful mixing, and subtlety are the lodestars. Also: what did you use for the imagery?

• @jwmmakerofmusic: Drumlab, follow-up and more advanced version of DM2 has a drone-option too. I don't use the app, so can't say if it's stable and workable. Keep in mind: DM2 is inter-app, not AUv3.

• @Identor said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic: Drumlab, follow-up and more advanced version of DM2 has a drone-option too. I don't use the app, so can't say if it's stable and workable. Keep in mind: DM2 is inter-app, not AUv3.

Looks like Drumlab is also IAA as well, not AUv3. But I will still invest in Drumlab as I can simply record its output into AUM. I also assume Drumlab has audio export as well?

• Skiiid also has a drone setting, just in case anyone is interested.

https://apps.apple.com/it/app/skiiid/id1516634571?l=en

• And it’s flipping great

• @sevenape said:
    Skiiid also has a drone setting, just in case anyone is interested.

Awesome! :) Added it to my "to purchase" list for today.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@sevenape said:
    Skiiid also has a drone setting, just in case anyone is interested.

Awesome! :) Added it to my "to purchase" list for today.

It’s my favourite!

• Thank you, @jwmmakerofmusic!

I thank you too, @Svetlovska. The visuals are from the Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• @rottencat : Ha! It really worked well :)