Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So... the Teenage Engineering OP-1 Field

2»

Comments

• edited May 2022

I think I’ll stick with my Sp404mk2 then 🤔🤪

Thanks for the breakdown @Tarekith

• @echoopera said:

Funny, as you’re one of those people who I think would really get on well with the OP-1.

• iPad straight killed this dead before it was even conceived. <3

What an utter waste of time, material resources and thought. More the first two, because most of the “thought” involved must surely have been along the lines of, “How do we fleece these suckers again, only more so?”

• @Tarekith said:

@echoopera said:

Funny, as you’re one of those people who I think would really get on well with the OP-1.

I thought so too :smile: I've almost bought it a couple times, but always ended going a different route...MPC One, Maschine+, Tracker...but who knows. I have a friend who said he could get me a deal on it...but I haven't seen any videos on the OP-1 Field which makes me lust after is as I did with the OP-Z.

• edited May 2022

It's interesting... the whole OP-1 Field debacle has revitalized my appreciation for my iPad. I'm not really a "booster" for my gear, per se - the aesthetics/design/status fetishism of the synth & EDM communities has never really been my bag, as I'm more of a "this is a tool" mindset - but this week has found me revisiting things like Patterning, Gadget, iOS Moogs & Korgs, Midiculous romplers, Samplr, Toneboosters apps, and even Decent Sampler with a real appreciation for how easily (and relatively cheaply) one can make/export world-class beats & songs on a sub-$500 tablet. In that way, witnessing the rollout of the Field, with its silly price tag and cute-but-limited suite of features, and has been kind of useful.

• @cosimafern said:
    The OP-1 has always felt like an Apple-style status object.

As I stated, this isn't an Apple Status object. Most non-musicians won't even know wtf you're using. 😅 Who'd even care?

@emjay said:
    What an utter waste of time, material resources and thought. More the first two, because most of the “thought” involved must surely have been along the lines of, “How do we fleece these suckers again, only more so?”

Reading this reply was an utter waste of time and thought. Felt my brain shrink two sizes too small. 😂

@mambonassau said:
    It's interesting... the whole OP-1 Field debacle has revitalized my appreciation for my iPad. I'm not really a "booster" for my gear, per se - the aesthetics/design/status fetishism of the synth & EDM communities has never really been my bag, as I'm more of a "this is a tool" mindset - but this week has found me revisiting things like Patterning, Gadget, iOS Moogs & Korgs, Midiculous romplers, Samplr, Toneboosters apps, and even Decent Sampler with a real appreciation for how easily (and relatively cheaply) one can make/export world-class beats & songs on a sub-$500 tablet. In that way, witnessing the rollout of the Field, with its silly price tag and cute-but-limited suite of features, and has been kind of useful.

It is strange that even though I plan to get the OP-1 Field soon, seeing it has also made me appreciate my iPad Mini 5 and iPhone SE 2. I started mucking about in NS2 again.

• @emjay said:
    iPad straight killed this dead before it was even conceived. <3

If you think that, then you never really understood what it was to begin with.

• @Liquidmantis said:
    I was going to pass but then I saw it has dual Velcro back fasteners.

🤣🤣🤣😂

• @emjay said:

Obviously not the target market but if you think the iPad “killed this dead” you’re very wrong and sales have and will prove this.

• @BroCoast said:

@emjay said:

I'll bite: What was it? I've never seen the appeal, and marketing for the first iteration was definitely aimed at my indie dude guy cortex. Like emjay, I found it redundant, as I already had an iPad.

• @mambonassau said:

@BroCoast said:

@emjay said:

I'll bite: What was it? I've never seen the appeal, and marketing for the first iteration was definitely aimed at my indie dude guy cortex. Like emjay, I found it redundant, as I already had an iPad.

OP-1 is a device designed for music while the iPad is a device capable of doing music.

These days I too prefer iPad for a portable music making solution but it doesn’t do what the OP-1 does. You can make tracks on both but it’s a very different user experience.

• I absolutely love my op-1 and have made many great stems running it through chase bliss habit or microcosm. Usually I feed these into koala or flexi in drambo which considering the power of Drambo v2 - it’s bonkers what you can do with within that sandbox. It’s like a octatrack on steroids. It’s amazing that I can also search archive.org and download obscure 78 records (downloaded how to train your parakeet to talk and square dancing step by step) and load them into your sampler of choice without plugging anything in. Now I am torn about the field as I feel they didn’t really bring the cutting edge features as when it was realized a decade ago. 250mb of memory! Come on it’s 2022 why not add more. Still only 6 seconds of sampling time? According to one beta tester they are dropping the crank accessory which was one of my favorite items on the og op-1. Loved cranking the recording or using it in the endless sequencer. I am sure they are going to add more features via firmware update but I’m a bit disappointed by the memory cap. Many of other great updates though and I am looking forward to checking out the reviews when they start hitting the hands of experienced op-1 masters. I may even eventually get one but at the price and the modest upgrade it is definitely not an instant buy.

• Of course I can definitely understand the excitement. I love the op-1 and having a redesigned version after 10 years is pretty exciting. The new tape features and multiple projects looks great.

• Okay, so I asked TE if I can access the recorded tapes of an OP-1 Field using an iPad, and I found out that it's currently not possible due to the OP-1 Field having a different file system. Welp, my GAS is cured. 😂 Time to experiment using Koala as an AUv3 in AUM. 🤣

• Samplr combined with Patterning would be 2 grand if it was in a thin aluminum box with a big touch screen.... Just sayin...

Wait....

• @FlightManual said:
    Samplr combined with Patterning would be 2 grand if it was in a thin aluminum box with a big touch screen.... Just sayin...

Wait....

Actually? I have Patterning 2 but never used it yet. I know what I'm playing with this afternoon, lol. Buying Samplr on Thursday is now on my to-do list as well as Atom piano roll if Atom is perfect for triggering samples in Koala. ("Can it trigger samples in Koala" is my next question.)

• edited May 2022

Just learn Drambo and all can be achieved :wink:
    . Sampler √
    . Great fx √
    . Endless Audio Routing functionality √
    . Host auv3 synths √
    . Midi external synths √
    . Per Track Playback Speeds √
    . Song Mode via Clips √

• @echoopera said:

I have learned some Drambo basics already, but I have to really dig far and deep into it, especially since version 2 has updated...everything in all the right ways! It's so mindboggling! Can Drambo drive MIDI in Koala, whether it's hosting the Koala AUv3, or used only for MIDI sequencing within AUM?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

I have learned some Drambo basics already, but I have to really dig far and deep into it, especially since version 2 has updated...everything in all the right ways! It's so mindboggling! Can Drambo drive MIDI in Koala, whether it's hosting the Koala AUv3, or used only for MIDI sequencing within AUM?

Yep...sure can...but you can do most of what you do in Koala with the FlexiSampler. Koala does have a great time stretching algo...gimme a minute and I'll post something for you ;)

• @echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

Yep...sure can...but you can do most of what you do in Koala with the FlexiSampler. Koala does have a great time stretching algo...gimme a minute and I'll post something for you ;)

Oooo, I'm looking forward to this! :)

• edited May 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

I went ahead and posted in your thread here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50299/im-givin-up-on-you-ambient-piece-done-in-koala-sampler#latest

Have a look at my latest thread as well...doing some deep Ambient work in Drambo which you may enjoy:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50272/echo-opera-s-drambo-ambience-thread-exploring-sonic-domains#latest

These latest ambient works are a result of me pining for the OP-1 Field as well...but really digging in to what I can do in Drambo and the tools I already have. :smile:

Guess I am taking a strong antacid to stave off the GAS :wink:

• @echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50299/im-givin-up-on-you-ambient-piece-done-in-koala-sampler#latest

Have a look at my latest thread as well...doing some deep Ambient work in Drambo which you may enjoy:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50272/echo-opera-s-drambo-ambience-thread-exploring-sonic-domains#latest

These latest ambient works are a result of me pining for the OP-1 Field as well...but really digging in to what I can do in Drambo and the tools I already have. :smile:

Hahaha! NICE mate! :) And yes, my GAS is being staved off from rediscovering what I already have.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

Hahaha! NICE mate! :) And yes, my GAS is being staved off from rediscovering what I already have.

Let's be the voice of reason and the first to embrace the AntiGas movement this week :wink:

• @echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

Let's be the voice of reason and the first to embrace the AntiGas movement this week :wink:

Hahaha! Yes! :)

• edited May 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

Love using Koala with Drambo. If you throw a midi route (from the iOS app midi tools) behind koala you can just play the pads directly on Koala and it will record the midi into the sequencer. Now with the floating windows you can have koala open while manipulating Enso. And like @echoopera said flexi sampler is amazing. One of my favorite samplers.

• @mikewb said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:

Love using Koala with Drambo. If you throw a midi route (from the iOS app midi tools) behind koala you can just play the pads directly on Koala and it will record the midi into the sequencer.

Ha, another app to add to my purchase to-do list, lol. I must get midi tools!

Now with the floating windows you can have koala open while manipulating Enso. And like @echoopera said flexi sampler is amazing. One of my favorite samplers.

Yep Flexi's on my purchase list as well. :)

I love how this thread has went from a heated discussion about if the OP-1 Field is good or not into a teaching/learning thread! It's definitely helped me not only appreciate what I already have and given me a list of super useful and cool apps that combined cost a mere fraction of what the OP-1 Field costs, but also is inspiring and is helping spark my creativity further! :)