Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy can now be loaded as an IAA app thanks to Audiobus 2.1!

Loopy got an update today and because of the Audiobus 2.1 functionality it now also acts as an IAA app. This opens up whole new possibilities when other apps get updated with audiobus 2.1. One of my favourite daws is Xewton Music Studio because of its instrument content. For sequencing, editing and effects I prefer Multitrack Studio by Bremmers audio design. If apps like Music Studio get updated with Audiobus 2.1 they can be run as an iaa sound source inside an other DAW. That gives us the equivalent of the rewire protocol on an ios device! Whoohoo, great times ahead!

Comments

• oh wow, thanks for pointing this out. so many possibilities are opening up

• Ha! Take that Retronyms :))

If you don't install Audiobus SDK, Audiobus SDK installs on yourself :))

PS: Although it works, I guess Audiobus SDK doesn't implement IAA controls for the host app...

• Can someone explain how this works? Does Loopy now show up in the IAA list in other apps without actually 'formally' being an IAA app itself, simply because Audiobus 2.1 now supports IAA? Do you have to have Loopy loaded into an Audiobus slot before it appears in the list?

• I just opened AudioShare and Loopy was there in the input slot (not effects) and one cool thing I noticed there was an instance for each track in Loopy so you can record each loop separately. I did not open Loopy in AB first. I suspect Loopy just shows up in IAA because AB 2.1 now supports it.

• edited July 2014

@ yowza, same here. I went thru this process:

1. update to Loopy HD 1.4.8
    2. open Audioshare
    3. tap IAA recording input "+" button in AudioShare

and... magically Loopy appears as IAA generator option in AudioShare. So apparently, this means the AB 2.1 SDK includes IAA functionality, totally independent of the Audiobus app itself! The process above did not even include opening Audiobus.

• Adding Non IAA apps into Tabletop using Loopy! (Sort of)

I just tried the following, put Loopy into the AB output slot. put your chosen Non IAA app in the input slot.

Open up Tabletop select the 101 Triggerator set A0 to 32 bar. Add Zignal and open Loopy(main output) as a IAA source. (Don't start any loops or record anything loopy just acts as a audio interface.)

Start your chosen Non IAA app I used Figure as the AB input. Go back to Tabletop and start play and record. Figure will record into Zignal for 32 bars. Obviously you can use Loopy and run your looped samples into Tabletop that way.

• edited July 2014

where is the fast switch back tab when using IAA ?

• I open 4 separate track of Loopy in Auria and is all mono on a stereo track, audio are only on the left, someone have the same problem???

• edited July 2014

Cannot find the "tap IAA recording input "+" button in AudioShare". Audioshare 2.6 installed.
    Also don´t understand how to get Loopy HD shown up as IAA. Can someone please describe for example the setup for Cubasis. Does not show up there. Not in standalone or put into the AB output.
    Thanks in advance

P.S.
    Found it in AudioShare ;-)

• @helmutmaria

this "+" button is in record tab. first you have to open that record floating window in audioshare (by pressing the red mic icon). and then a window opens, and close to the mic icon is the "+", so loopy will show there.

i also want to thank michael for this update (finally some updates in loopy!!!). it fixed the problem i had with my fireface ucx interface and sugarbytes apps!!! :D

also a very important improvement for my workflow, GUYS!! ...now loopy saves the last state of the loops!!! ahhhahaaaa!! (muted or unmuted). also loads in pause. which is a great improvement for my workflow. many different sessions saved, this helps me a lot.

• Happy to hear that @ecce_cello! It's rough when you have a problem that seems to be isolated to your specific setup.

Has anyone done any clock testing? I just tried to do some wireless testing between my iphone and ipad both using loopy and didn't have very good results. Also tried apollo which was a bit better, but still unstable. I'm going to try some wired test when i get some time and hopefully will have better results. I'd really like to be able to solidly sync loopy on two devices in a live environment.

• edited July 2014

@ecce_cello said:

also a very important improvement for my workflow, GUYS!! ...now loopy saves the last state of the loops!!! ahhhahaaaa!! (muted or unmuted). also loads in pause. which is a great improvement for my workflow. many different sessions saved, this helps me a lot.

Wow! Did not even notice this until I saw your post and verified. Now just gotta go back through all my old sessions and organize them with mutes and re-save. Score!!!

• @ecce_cello said:

I need to play with loopy again :)

• That state saving thing is boss.

• edited July 2014

The whole app just feels fresher. Is it me or is that a new font? None of this stuff is listed in the update notes. Wonder if he tweaked along the way and forgot to jot them all down.

In audiobus, you can now select Loopy inputs without having to launch loopy first. That was always kinda clunky. Anyone discover anything else? So happy to see Loopy being updated again! :)

• When I saw "Fixed some issues with MIDI clock receiving," I was hoping that I could finally get it to listen to Cubasis's clock. But this is still not working. Also hoped it would show up as an IAA instrument in Cubasis and that IAA sync would just work, but it does not show up. Any ideas?

• Is shows in cubasis as an input for audio tracks. You can select each loop and it syncs.

• Wonder if he tweaked along the way and forgot to jot them all down.

Was wondering the same!

@michael http://realmacsoftware.com/blog/generating-release-notes-from-git-commits. Integrates with Hockey. ;)

• Haha - yeah, lots of little tweaks in there. Didn't quite get around to enumerating all of 'em. I know, I know ;-)

• Thanks for the update, Michael. Great app getting better is always awesome. I will say I do look forward to a proper IAA implementation at some point down the road. Would love to be able to use IAA directly in loopy, but I'm guessing you guys probably have plans to just keep it in audiobus.

• @Michael Helluva run Loopy has had in the top 10 music apps. Was starting to wonder if you retired. =P

• @ecce_cello & @otem_rellik for explanation and confirming. Never looked there ;-)
    Too many apps, and to less time.

• edited July 2014

@boone51 Thanks!! That's right, yeah - we think Audiobus offers a better user experience. Audiobus is Loopy's 'IAA implementation' as far as I'm concerned =)

@telecharge I know, it's been amazing!

• I'd tend to agree with you, @Michael. Totally understand and respect the heck out of you for just coming out and saying that. I'll have to dig around on the forum a little to get the full scoop on it I guess, but right now I'm under the impression the IAA stuff in Audiobus doesn't matter much until ios8.

• As far as I understand it any app that updates to AB 2.1 now will show up in IAA even if they weren't IAA compatible before that.

• edited July 2014

Thanks @yowza. And I guess that page Sebastian said they were launching will tell us which apps those are eventually.

• Thanks @boone51 =) Yeah, you're right there, as is @yowza - it's an iOS 8 compatibility measure.

• Loopy's all over this IAA shiz:

• Why are there 14 Loopy icons? Master out + 12 outs = 13.

• Metronome got an own track