Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My Head Spins

I like to try to do something a little different with every track. It doesn't always work, but I think this one turned out okay. The idea was to create a strong rhythm without using any drums or percussion of any kind. The main driver is an acoustic guitar. I love the way Pat Metheny plays, especially when he strums his guitar, so that is what I was shooting for. There are many apps that will produce this effect, but I found that Session Band Acoustic worked pretty good. At about the 2:10 mark I tried to channel the greatest blues player of all time - Roy Buchanan. It's a feeble attempt but I thought it sounded... not too bad. Sorry Roy, wherever you are. The other instruments are pretty standard - Fender bass, a synth apreggio, a few nondescript singers, some acoustic guitar picking, and a few subtle pads in the background, etc. I'm pretty sure I have used the titular vocal sample in another track at some time, but... what the hell. It's not like I'm getting paid for this. I hope you enjoy it.

Comments

• I love the acoustic guitar as a rhythm instrument.
    Nice arps and backing vocals.
    Acoustic fault picking solo… cool.
    Synth’s sneak into the mix in back.

Electric guitar riffing in a distant key… playing against the root is a tool in your bag of tricks to disorient the casual listener.

Vocals with lyrics to close it out.

Nice work as always. Avoiding heavy bass tricks to mix it up. Cool.
    I could have used some ethnic drums to add extra insanity… Indian tablas or mid eastern djembes. But that’s just me rooting for more and more excess. You can’t throw in enough stuff for my expectations of your wizardry.

“How do you make these tracks?”
    “I just season them to taste and place them on the table. Enjoy.”

• edited April 2022

@Mcd I'm glad you liked it. My wife... who only likes country music... even liked it. She said it reminded her of an old boyfriend who played acoustic guitar. He went to prison some time in the 80s.

• I agree with you, Roy, unfortunately, is under appreciated. Lol, you have a good track record!

• @LinearLineman said:
    I agree with you, Roy, unfortunately, is under appreciated. Lol, you have a good track record!

I was just reading a story about Roy before my work day begins. It was truly a shame to lose him. He was a bit like Jaco, losing control to drugs and booze. I guess fame and fortune has that effect on some.

• I think this turned out very much better than OK!

• @JudasZimmerman said:
    I think this turned out very much better than OK!

I'm rather happy with this one, too. I tried to keep it simple with only 2 parts and less tracks. Sometimes less is more. Thank you for listening and your encouraging comment!

• McDMcD
    edited April 2022

@Paulieworld said:
    Sometimes less is more.

But in that case... it's not less. Logic insists on being an exclusive member of one category.

Sometimes logic makes no sense. "My Head Spins".