Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Launchpad X with WIDI UHost?

edited March 2022 in Other

Has anyone managed to get this combo to work? It connects OK but my troubleshooting suggests that the WIDI device only forwards the first MIDI port presented to it by the host device. In the case of the LPX there are two MIDI ports, one for DAW control and one that spits out MIDI and it looks like only the DAW one is being transmitted, which is not very useful.

I have tried turning on programmer mode but this did not help. I was hoping there would be some secret setting in either the WIDI or LPX which let me disable or choose whether to ignore the DAW port but maybe not.

I saw in another thread that someone had got their LPPro working with this device so I had assumed it would just work.

Comments

• This limitation (only one virtual port) is specifically noted on the CME web page, so it is likely fundamental. I wonder if you can somehow trick it so it picks up the normal port; not much hope tho'.

• Thanks @uncledave , I did see that and I suspect is the root cause. As you say, I was hoping that someone had been able to find a way of tricking either the WIDI device or LPX into using the correct MIDI port, or maybe to switch the order that it looks for them.

I see that @CME_WIDI_2020 sometimes posts here - is this a hard limitation of the WIDI Uhost? If so then is there a possibility of a future update letting us select the MIDI port of the connected device via the iOS WIDI app?

• I tried it some time ago and it worked in the Launchpad app, but not in LK or LP pro

• edited March 2022

@MisplacedDevelopment in the other thread for the LanchpadPro... Possible they were using the DIN midi port on it and not the USB-C?

• Little update on this one - I updated my LPX to firmware 2.0 and my WIDI Uhost to Bluetooth firmware 0.1.7.7 (USB firmware 3.6) and now I can use my LPX wirelessly to control my iPad over Bluetooth!

I am kicking myself for not testing it immediately after updating the LPX firmware as I cannot be sure whether it was that or the Uhost update that fixed the problem.

The device now appears as "WIDI Uhost Bluetooth" in AUM.

Now to find a suitable battery to run the WIDI from!

• How about with mini mk3?

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Little update on this one - I updated my LPX to firmware 2.0 and my WIDI Uhost to Bluetooth firmware 0.1.7.7 (USB firmware 3.6) and now I can use my LPX wirelessly to control my iPad over Bluetooth!

I am kicking myself for not testing it immediately after updating the LPX firmware as I cannot be sure whether it was that or the Uhost update that fixed the problem.

My battery choice for Uhost is 'Veho Pebble Pokket Micro', it has a built in USB-C plug.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-Keyring-1000mah-Portable-VPP-016-PK/dp/B084B827QF/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B084B827QF&psc=1

• Thanks for that @steve99 . I just cancelled my order for a very short usb-A to C cable to use with an existing battery as the Pebble was only a few £ more and looks like a tidier solution.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Little update on this one - I updated my LPX to firmware 2.0 and my WIDI Uhost to Bluetooth firmware 0.1.7.7 (USB firmware 3.6) and now I can use my LPX wirelessly to control my iPad over Bluetooth!

Does the WIDI device publish both the DAW and MIDI ports of the LPX? If not (and it sounds like it doesn’t), which port is it publishing?

• @espiegel123 said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

Does the WIDI device publish both the DAW and MIDI ports of the LPX? If not (and it sounds like it doesn’t), which port is it publishing?

It is publishing just the MIDI port now. The problem I had in the OP was that the Uhost selected the LPX DAW port with no way of changing that and now it selects the MIDI port, again with no way of changing which is selected.

It is possible I suppose that this may have broken behaviour for someone so I will not be updating again in a hurry in case it is "fixed", but for me the MIDI port was what I wanted the Uhost to select by default.

• For those that don’t know, this means that the LP’s midi out from Notes and Custom mode will work but session mode and programmer’s mode won’t.