Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

To Those Who Are About To Die

edited February 2022 in Creations

Sorry, didn't mean to bump this, but I just changed my Soundcloud handle to Paulieworld. I wanted to make sure it works.

Comments

• This is a track that should inspire someone to make matching visuals.

When that sax comes in it really turns on a dime.

Then I got fixated following the bass part.

Never a dull moment with your creations.

• @McD said:
    This is a track that should inspire someone to make matching visuals.

When that sax comes in it really turns on a dime.

Then I got fixated following the bass part.

Never a dull moment with your creations.

Thank you! I got the idea for this from a local junior college radio station. I was driving home a while ago when I heard this insane sax solo. As soon as I got home I called the station to see who it was. Unfortunately, the previous DJ had left and the new guy didn't have a clue. I never found out who it was. I'm thinking maybe Ornette Coleman, maybe not. In any case, I tried to recreate the sound in this piece. When I finished, it reminded me of Friday Family Night at the Colosseum.

• Congratulations on naming the next Bond movie!

• edited February 2022

@mjcouche said:
    Congratulations on naming the next Bond movie!

I still think Sean Connery was the best 007.
    Who can for get such classic lines as...

"This is the first time I've tasted a girl. They're rather good".

Or who can forget...

PG: "My name is Pussy Galore"

JB: "I musht be dreaming"

• Wow, that's an excellent track! With or without the sax solo.

• @rs2000 said:
    Wow, that's an excellent track! With or without the sax solo.

Thank you very much! The sax part is pretty strange, but I like how it turned out. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Excellent. Can you give some description how you made this?

• Wow. That was some math rock jazz funk trip hop right there! :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    Wow. That was some math rock jazz funk trip hop right there! :)

MathRockJazzFunkTripHop... is that a thing? Remember... I'm never knowingly mellow... quite rightly. Thank you for the lovely comment.

• Again an excellent track! You are a true genius and deserves a greater audience.

• Bonkers arrangement, in a good way. :) Some great segments in there, and the ever-shifting vibe was pretty cool.

• @Paulieworld said:

Was this all done on an Ipad? I'm totally blown away by the stunning production, a beautiful soundscape.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Excellent. Can you give some description how you made this?

I used one of the Session Band Jazz apps for the sax solo. I didn't use any of the other SB tracks, i.e.drums, piano, bass, etc. just the sax part. I think recorded about a half dozen different tracks in various keys and cut them up into tiny little pieces. Then I just started pasting the pieces into the the sax track and rearranging them into something that sounded good over the rhythm section. As I recall, it took quite a while! The rest of the song was just my usual mix of commercial and homemade samples. This piece was a bit different in that I had a specific end result in mind. The thing about freestyle jazz is that just about anything sounds good as long as you stay within key and keep it moving along. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for listening!

• @Identor said:
    Again an excellent track! You are a true genius and deserves a greater audience.

Thank you! I just told my wife what you said, and she's looking at me funny. She only likes country music, and she thought it was just a bunch of noise! To each his own, I guess.

• @richardyot said:
    Bonkers arrangement, in a good way. :) Some great segments in there, and the ever-shifting vibe was pretty cool.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing this. I appreciate you taking time to give it a listen!

• @Sandstorm Yes, I used an iPad, headphones, and a stylus - all purchased at BestBuy. Thank you for listening and commenting!

• @Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:
    Again an excellent track! You are a true genius and deserves a greater audience.

Thank you! I just told my wife what you said, and she's looking at me funny. She only likes country music, and she thought it was just a bunch of noise! To each his own, I guess.

Thanks for padsplaining what you did, Paul. As for your wife…. Fortunate, but rare, is the man who has a partner who digs his shit. Not mine for sure…. Unless it’s soft and sweet…. Then it’s ok… just ok.
    😱😂😭🙈😎

• @Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

I used one of the Session Band Jazz apps for the sax solo. I didn't use any of the other SB tracks, i.e.drums, piano, bass, etc. just the sax part. I think recorded about a half dozen different tracks in various keys and cut them up into tiny little pieces. Then I just started pasting the pieces into the the sax track and rearranging them into something that sounded good over the rhythm section. As I recall, it took quite a while! The rest of the song was just my usual mix of commercial and homemade samples. This piece was a bit different in that I had a specific end result in mind. The thing about freestyle jazz is that just about anything sounds good as long as you stay within key and keep it moving along. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for listening!

Although you use prefabricated pieces of music, you are still excellent in composing these pieces together, especially when it doesn't sound repetitive.

• @Identor 20 years ago I never would have even considered making music this way. Believe it or not, I was a very competent piano player, a decent sight reader, and owned a tuxedo, so I got a lot of 11th hour calls for gigs. I was reliable, showed up on time, sober, and ready to rock. I miss the weekend warrior scene, but it was time to move on.

Sometimes I think I would rather be out gigging, but this is the next best thing. I am very happy that there are a few folks that dig what I am doing. Thank you for your most generous comments. God bless you!

• @Paulieworld said:

She hit the nail on the head!

But for those of us that have enjoyed a million hours of music across dozens of cultures we detect these signals in the noise that are definitive signs of intelligent life. The signal to noise ratio is quite high while still maintaining the effective unpredictable qualities of good noise.

This should help sell a few copies of Session Band apps. The most recent ones are the best and the most expensive to justify the extra studio time and development effort.

• edited February 2022

@LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:

Thanks for padsplaining what you did, Paul. As for your wife…. Fortunate, but rare, is the man who has a partner who digs his shit. Not mine for sure…. Unless it’s soft and sweet…. Then it’s ok… just ok.
    😱😂😭🙈😎

I hope it made sense. If so, please splain it to me because I'm clueless. I admire what you do. What you do in 3 minutes would take me 3 days!

Yeah, my wife is a trip, even after all these years. I know she loves me... but she actually LIKES me!

• @McD said:

@Paulieworld said:

She hit the nail on the head!

But for those of us that have enjoyed a million hours of music across dozens of cultures we detect these signals in the noise that are definitive signs of intelligent life. The signal to noise ratio is quite high while still maintaining the effective unpredictable qualities of good noise.

This should help sell a few copies of Session Band apps. The most recent ones are the best and the most expensive to justify the extra studio time and development effort.

Who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to have one of these cats play on your tracks! The thing I like about Session Band is that you can throw any sort of nonsense at it, and it returns something musical. That is a good thing for me since I am mostly nonsensical. Peace out!

• @Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:

😱😂😭🙈😎

I hope it made sense. If so, please splain it to me because I'm clueless. I admire what you do. What you do in 3 minutes would take me 3 days!

Yeah, my wife is a trip, even after all these years. I know she loves me... but she actually LIKES me!

@Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:

😱😂😭🙈😎

Yes, now I get it. I think that’s a great way to make music. I mean the old fashioned way is to select notes, groups of notes and percussion…. You’ve just substituted blocks of musical information for those components. I often do that, too, actually. I just put those substituted data packages on top of an improvisation.

That you made the transition from gigging musician to musical chemist is inevitable for some of us. And laudable, I think. So many musicians get great at what they can do… and have done for decades. But others evolve outside that box of what they did and can do with skill to something quite, quite different… and perforce much more exciting, IMHO.

There is one particular jazz pianist I am thinking of. I mean, he’s really great. But when it comes down to it I’m always hearing the same thing, albeit better and better. Audiences love that, I think, cause there is endorphic reward in feeling…. I know that… I always liked that… I'm part of the club that loves that.

Of course, any kind of music can be grokked like that. Even the furthest out and most innovative. But the greatest musicians, like Coltrane, never stayed in that box. He went forward in his natural evolution even when he had to leave his audience behind. He was a true spiritual person and artist.
    TLDR…that’s what you have chosen to do, it seems to me,

• Wow! I got out of breath trying to keep up with everything going on. Great sax solo for a keyboard player :). Well, even for a sax player. Fantastic stuff.

• Very enjoyable. I particularly liked the decent into noise chaos with the start of the sax. Felt the jazz there.

I actually read all the comments before listening and then thought there is no way this is going to live up to the ‘hype’ but I was wrong, Abs brill :)

• @Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

This is by far the best use of the SessionBand samples I have heard here in the forum. Also, just deliciously crazy stuff in general, mate 👌

A modern-day producer would have tried to get a whole album out of fewer ideas than you put in this one piece.

• @LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:

😱😂😭🙈😎

@Paulieworld said:

@LinearLineman said:

@Paulieworld said:

@Identor said:

😱😂😭🙈😎

Yes, now I get it. I think that’s a great way to make music. I mean the old fashioned way is to select notes, groups of notes and percussion…. You’ve just substituted blocks of musical information for those components. I often do that, too, actually. I just put those substituted data packages on top of an improvisation.

That you made the transition from gigging musician to musical chemist is inevitable for some of us. And laudable, I think. So many musicians get great at what they can do… and have done for decades. But others evolve outside that box of what they did and can do with skill to something quite, quite different… and perforce much more exciting, IMHO.

There is one particular jazz pianist I am thinking of. I mean, he’s really great. But when it comes down to it I’m always hearing the same thing, albeit better and better. Audiences love that, I think, cause there is endorphic reward in feeling…. I know that… I always liked that… I'm part of the club that loves that.

Of course, any kind of music can be grokked like that. Even the furthest out and most innovative. But the greatest musicians, like Coltrane, never stayed in that box. He went forward in his natural evolution even when he had to leave his audience behind. He was a true spiritual person and artist.
    TLDR…that’s what you have chosen to do, it seems to me,

Thank you for those thoughtful words. I appreciate it. Musical Chemist!!! I like that. Although, "pipefitter" might be equally appropriate.

• @boomer @ervin - I should give proper credit to Dave O'Higgins. He is the sax player from the Session Band team. He provided me with hundreds of tasty sax snippets that I cut up and reassembled into something resembling a sax solo. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking time to listen!

• @Richtowns said:
    Very enjoyable. I particularly liked the decent into noise chaos with the start of the sax. Felt the jazz there.

I actually read all the comments before listening and then thought there is no way this is going to live up to the ‘hype’ but I was wrong, Abs brill :)

I am glad it didn't disappoint! Sometimes, I think that a provocative title draws people in out of curiosity. The idea behind this one was to compress a day at the Roman Colosseum into about 4 minutes, so I think the title was appropriate. I like your description "descent into noise chaos". That's exactly what I was trying for!!! Thank you for listening!