Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro trim and chop video

2»

Comments

• The old iMPC have about 1200 samples from Devine as well. Wonder how much of it is reused. Not that I would mind it that much if it's mostly the same, since the old library have some really great sounds/kits. Plus I never got along with the old app anyways..

• @syrupcore said:

Nice feature list. "Exclusive sound library featuring 1,200+ samples from sound designer Richard Devine" sounds promising. Hopefully users can remove the ones that don't suit them.

Hopefully we can remove them all! I love Richard devines work but space on my iPad is a precious commodity :)

• edited June 2014

@synthandson said:

I'm looking forward to this app. I sincerely hope that it's possible to audiocopy patterns out of iMPC Pro without blank space attached to them.

• I thought I was the only one!!!! they never fixed that damn bug!!!!!

• @skoptic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Retronyms confirmed several times on the boards that it 'would' have IAA node support and 'would' work in host apps like Cubasis.... I'm not sure why it wasn't mentioned in this post though...

Fair point "we are supporting IAA in a few creative ways including node" .. so hopefully it can be used by a host.

But if no midi or clock sync might not do much in my IAA slots

Cool.....I now remain hopefull this will be what I need to cover my drum/sampling needs :)

• With this lacking Audiobus (was to be expected though) my attention is completely focused on upcoming Betatmaker 3. IAA may be the future but AB still remains my favourite workflow somehow.

• @supadom said:

With this lacking Audiobus (was to be expected though) my attention is completely focused on upcoming Betatmaker 3.

Agree, so many great drum samplers out there but Betatmaker remains my go-to when I need beta testers.

• Someone pleas tell me that I am wrong,or an idiot, or both, because the alternative is just too frustrating to even think about: is it possible to save chopped samples in iMPC Pro?

You chop a sample in the chop window. You save the "Program." You close iMPC Pro. You go do something else. You come back to your project and the "Program" folder contains the sample you previously chopped. You load that sample and your chops are gone.

Are there any ACTUAL program settings/files that iMPC Pro saves? Is this a one session app? If so, I'm incredibly disappointed. This app is so close to being amazing, but there are some INSANELY stupid design decisions (or it's been released too early...)

Thanks for any help...

M

• ^ Chops are saved with as part of the song itself, not the sample or the "Program." Saving a "Program" seems like a collect all function more than anything -- it collects the samples used in the Program, but not the settings.

Wtf are they reinventing the wheel? The Program paradigm on MPCs (settings + samples) is so nice.

GRUMPY!!!

• @papertiger said:

^ Chops are saved with as part of the song itself, not the sample or the "Program." Saving a "Program" seems like a collect all function more than anything -- it collects the samples used in the Program, but not the settings.

Wtf are they reinventing the wheel? The Program paradigm on MPCs (settings + samples) is so nice.

GRUMPY!!!

Im not commenting on iMPC Pro anymore. I just cant be bothered wasting anymore time on talking about this app. The design decisions are so confusing, its like they have never even used a mpc before :(

• Yeah, I knew that I was potentially resurrecting some bad juju about iMPC Pro given the crazy long thread I've only skimmed/avoided. :)

But I'm in the same boat as you. I wonder if anyone on the development team has ever even used an MPC. I think it's indicative that the other day I asked Retronyms on Twitter about zero crossing and the person that answered had no idea what I was talking about until I explained what zero crossing means in the context of an MPC.

• I suspect what @papertiger is saying is what is actually going on, which would be somewhat alarming, if true. I should first say that I just got this app a few days ago. Part of it was just morbid curiosity, but part of it was that it remained at $13, which for a beatbox, I hate to say it, is still less than I paid for DrumPerfect ($15), and that thing has TONS of problems both in functionality and design choices that nobody wants to talk about. iMPC is, overall, a pretty good app. It just happens to be that it borrows the name and likeness of an actual device that is so integral to making particular kinds of music, that people get pissed beyond belief that features are missing (or broken) in the early release of this $13 app they expect hundreds of dollars of functionality out of.

The app has already received one update, Retronyms has acknowledged many issues and concerns, and one of the developers even showed up in a (now) 1,000+ post thread which, by the way, is named after a feature that iMPC doesn't use and never promised to. I'm not saying iMPC doesn't have forehead smacking issues, I'm just suggesting we take a step back from the ledge.

On this specific point, however, I can't really tell what is going on with the samples. Before I figured out how to get full drum kits into the app through iFunBox (which worked pretty smoothly, btw), I was recording rock drum sounds via IAA from Jam Maestro. I'd hit like three different toms in one recording, and figure I'd just snip them and save it as three different instruments. Not exactly. I was able to save a "Program" that basically had a 16-pad kit that worked with the trimmed clips. But if I exited the app and came back in, the samples themselves seemed to revert to that full 6-second audio clip with the different hits on there, even if I renamed it as "Low Tom" or something. That is a bit of a problem, and I also don't like the idea that even if you could trim it, that original untrimmed file is just floating around in your memory still.

• edited July 2014

@papertiger said:

^ Chops are saved with as part of the song itself, not the sample or the "Program." Saving a "Program" seems like a collect all function more than anything -- it collects the samples used in the Program, but not the settings.

GRUMPY!!!

Since the 1.1 update if you chop a break to pads for example and save it as a program, when you load the project it now remembers to saves the chop points????

Also if you load the program into another project the chop points still remain....

Have you updated to v1.1 ?

http://discchord.com/blog/2014/7/25/impc-pro-update.html

• ^ Yes, I've updated to 1.1, and no, saving chops to a PROGRAM does not work for me. Chops will only save for me if I save the entire PROJECT.

If you can load a sample, chop it, save the PROGRAM, exit iMPC Pro, start a new PROJECT and load the saved PROGRAM and have the chops be intact I will be forever grateful if you post a step by step of how to do so, because chops are not saved with PROGRAMS -- only PROJECTS.

• Will test and report back :)

• edited July 2014

@papertiger

I did just what you said to test and it worked for me. I created a brand new project using the Zero template and pasted a wav file loop that I chopped into 4 pads. Saved the program, not the project and closed the project without saving. I then killed iMPC Pro from the background and then reopened it. Next I created a different new project with the Zero template and then picked the previously save program and bingo, the four pads have the chopped wav in the right places. Am I doing something different then what you are? Hope this helps. Maybe you killing the app without exiting the project without saving? I will try the kill method and see if it fails for me.

Update:

I tried the kill test and it still worked. I don't know what is different. The only other things I can think of are that I am setting the BPM to 135 or that I am only chopping to 4 pads.... I even deleted all my projects and created a brand new acoustic drum template and it still worked..

• ^ Thank you, Telengard. I will try it again tonight, as you seem to have had success.

Ultimately, I don't want to have to save every PROJECT in order to save chops. I love how on a real MPC you can save Programs independently of a project, so that you can build up a collection of programs to draw on for multiple/different projects.

• Just read this exchange on Twitter:

Do I understand the sequence of events correctly?

1.) iMPC Pro drops. Doesn't work correctly in Tabletop.
    2.) Tabletop updated to add iMPC Pro as a Tabletop Ready device.
    3.) iMPC Pro updated. Doesn't work correctly in Tabletop.

• edited July 2014

Yea, the "Tabletop Ready" apps inside Tabletop are completely separate copies/apps. If you have iMPC and iMPC Pro, plus Tabletop installed, you have 4 copies of iMPC apps on your device, including four copies of the factory samples. IMPC Pro in Tabletop is still v.1.0 while the stand-alone app is at v1.1. Hopefully iOS 8 will allow for some better solution to this..

• While I totally get the separate apps within tabletop thing, I can't help but wonder what's up with their development and communications processes that they would release an update to iMPC Pro without a simultaneous update to Tabletop - just to avoid confusion and complaints. The must have the last released version of TT in version control. Fork, edit, release patch. A day or two of lag when rushing a big bug fix out, I get. Been a few days now though. Just seems like they're causing themselves and some users unnecessary pain.

• edited August 2014

Thanks to all that gave it a shot -- I figured it out. I will admit user error was involved, but, my goodness, the design decisions in this app continue to boggle the mind.

Just in case someone else is stumped by the same issue, when you save Programs they are saved to a drop down menu at the top of the screen, where you select what Program you want to have on a Track. Programs do not appear to be saved ANYWHERE else in the iMPC Pro file structure. Not even in the folders labeled, Program. Those folders only contain audio -- not a Program and the audio.

This app has so much potential, but there are still some showstopper fails. For example, I just discovered that changing the number of slices will RESET all of the slices that you may have created/drawn manually. SO. FRUSTRATING.