Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strategies for building small kits for kicks, hats, etc

I posted this on the Elektronauts forum, but it might be better here

I want to put together some packs of 24 kicks, 24 hats, 24 snares, and probably 24 percussion hits. I’m looking for sensible strategies for picking hits that have variety, but that work well together.

The reason is that I use my OP-Z to sequence Ableton, and it really works for me. The OP-Z puts kicks, snare, hats, and Percussion on their own tracks. I have thrown together some basic drum racks so I can just load them as a template into Ableton, plug in the OP-Z and go.

Once I’ve settled on a semi permanent set (or sets) of drum samples, I’ll also duplicate it on the OP-Z itself so I can make beats away from the computer with the same sounds.

I have a whole bunch of drum samples I never use, thanks to buying a Samples from Mars pack for cheap a few years ago, but I don’t know where to start. I like acoustic drums, but also LinnDrum, and the Digitakt’s default-in kit.To add: I’m looking for tips on picking sounds, but also on laying them out in a standard manner so I can switch kits.

Ideas: put main sounds on white keys, and alternatives on the black keys. Group types of sound by octave.

Comments

• edited January 2022

Know your samples, give them some time, play with them at different speed and with different fx (distortion) at end. After days, weeks, slowly find which are working „always”, and delete rest.
    When you finish with less than 30 samples, you are in the middle!
    Play with this 30 samples with many configurations.
    After a while you will more understand what you have in sample library (this big one with all samples) and what you want to do.

There is No way to have everything available all the time, so prepare your taste to eliminate, and if needed to synthese what is needed.

Edit: play on your samples in every place on headphpnes to enjoy them more! I used Zenbeats, SunVox, Drambo, everything with Easy file system. And AUM as main home. Beathawk also helps a lot to go and play around.

Keep your deleted samples for time when you worked out your own way.

• Nice tips. I definitely don’t care about having everything available at all times. I guess I could also just start small, and put my favorite 5-6 samples in each kit. Then build from there as needed.

I really like the idea of having the same set of basic drums, so I can keep sample auditioning to a minimum. I really don’t like scrolling through folders.

• Yes small kits and trying.
    After time of selection (removing) you end up with small number of always great samples….. until you will boring, and then
    It is good time to check again what you removed.

• I’ve built some patches in Drambo where I can change samples by changing the note going into the Sampler.
    So I have kits like “dry drums”, “acoustic”, “digital” or whatever and those in turn have X sounds. Then via a button selector I can easily change the playing kit piece and try out different combinations. It does take some time to setup but it’s pretty handy and sort of forces you to organize and select your favorites.

• I'm not sure it will help, but Atlas and XLN XO both have AI algos for finding similar samples. I heard many beatmakers are using them for making cohesive kits.