Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DSP spikes in AUM iPadOS 15.2.1 Air4

Hi all

Has anyone else had weird DSP spikes occurring recently on iPadOS 15.2.1?

I have a number of sessions in AUM which I'm using for live sets. I've used them before Christmas without any issues with the DSP generally sitting at about 35%. Everything opens fine now but some of the projects will randomly spike to 104% and immediately drop back to 35% causing a crackling/pop in the process.

I'm not sure what has changed. Certainly I've updated to iOS 15.2.1 (previously was on 15.1) but wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I'm going to sit down and see if any particular apps are involved (Synthmaster Player and Kauldron were both in the project I was using this afternoon when it started doing it again, but need to check across other projects to see if its happening on any other synths).

iPad Air 4 (2020) with 100+GB free space.

Si

Comments

• I'd suspect some user interface graphics as the cause. Can you try hiding the GUIs and see if it helps?

• In this case all the app GUI's were hidden.

• I was experiencing a similar thing yesterday. iOS 15.3 beta, with Aparillo loaded in a channel. I was seeing DSP usage of 35-40% with the UI closed, and (weirdly) the DSP dropped to 10% when the UI was open. The crackling made things unusable.

I tried it out with FRMS, Continua, Quanta and DRC in other channels and with all of them the DSP usage spiked only when the UI was closed.

iPad 6.

• @ahallam said:
    I was experiencing a similar thing yesterday. iOS 15.3 beta, with Aparillo loaded in a channel. I was seeing DSP usage of 35-40% with the UI closed, and (weirdly) the DSP dropped to 10% when the UI was open. The crackling made things unusable.

This is probably the CPU frequency scaling. When UI are closed, cpu have less work to do so iOS slows it down to save energy. When you open it, there is more work and cpu speeds up.

• @j_liljedahl said:

>

This is probably the CPU frequency scaling. When UI are closed, cpu have less work to do so iOS slows it down to save energy. When you open it, there is more work and cpu speeds up.

That's interesting to know - I will try with the GUI open and see if the spikes still occur. It certainly seemed to be something that had changed, although whether it was iOS or the synths I wasn't sure of. Looking back at the date of my video of the live show (8th Dec) when I used the AUM sessions was possibly when I was still on iOS 14.x

• Just to conclude this thread, it appears that the problem is Synthmaster Player AUv3. I've replaced it with Synthmaster 2 to get the same sounds out and that seems to have solved the spikes.

• @swfarrington said:
    Just to conclude this thread, it appears that the problem is Synthmaster Player AUv3. I've replaced it with Synthmaster 2 to get the same sounds out and that seems to have solved the spikes.

Good to know!

It reminds me that I should make a per-channel or per-node DSP usage statistics view in AUM so you can see which plugins is using up the most CPU time.

• It can help to reduce the buffer in AUM to 64 frames, before adding any plugins!

I wrote about this in the forum, but cannot find the thread again.

• @swfarrington said:
    Hi all

Has anyone else had weird DSP spikes occurring recently on iPadOS 15.2.1?

I have a number of sessions in AUM which I'm using for live sets. I've used them before Christmas without any issues with the DSP generally sitting at about 35%. Everything opens fine now but some of the projects will randomly spike to 104% and immediately drop back to 35% causing a crackling/pop in the process.

I'm not sure what has changed. Certainly I've updated to iOS 15.2.1 (previously was on 15.1) but wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I'm going to sit down and see if any particular apps are involved (Synthmaster Player and Kauldron were both in the project I was using this afternoon when it started doing it again, but need to check across other projects to see if its happening on any other synths).

iPad Air 4 (2020) with 100+GB free space.

Si

SynthMaser Player is your culprit..

It has been reported to the developer….