Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Deregulator - New AB effects app

Stereo echo, delay and reverb unit. Effect only at present but input and output are coming. It's iPhone layout now but universal update is also promised.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/deregulator/id882723297?mt=8

Comments

• The gimmick is automated modulation of the FX parameters.

• Yep. You can turn selected automation off. It also has Audiocopy and AudioShare. Plenty of preset saving slots but no ability to name them. Still it shows promise. It also has a CPU meter but I can't tell how accurate it is. It shows 19% load on my Air with all the options on and recording as a standalone.

• ... wide effects range from simple mono echo/delay/reverb and combinations to near granulation live when remains of sounds create nebula around original input and like morning mist its blurring and smudging sound into scape of something new, vibrant and beautiful...

Sold.

• edited June 2014

I thought echo and delay was just two different words for the same effect. Can you bpm sync this or is it all about being random?

• Here's the devs soundcloud, with various sound demos on this one https://soundcloud.com/ash-daa

• edited June 2014

I'll wait for the coming soon stuff to arrive I think

• @firejan82 said:

I thought echo a delay was just two different words for the same effect.

Nifty definitions by Scott Madigan http://www.interruptor.ch/scottmadigan.html

"Delay is defined as the splitting of a signal into separate components, the slowing of one of these split signals, and its subsequent re-introduction into the original signal.

Echo is defined as a delay of approximately 35 ms. in which the regenerations are evenly spaced and in which the release portion of the sound envelope is even as well. This is also sometimes referred to as Early Reflections.

Reverb is defined as a delay less that 35 ms. in which the regenerations are randomly dispersed and in which the release portion of the sound envelope is random as well. This is also sometimes referred to as Later Reflections."

• @thinds thanks for the link and explanation

• It's... Fun? Yeah, fun. A little confusing; a lot confusing at first. I almost get it after an hour of playing with it. I finally figured out how to stop all the movement and then it made more sense. Ish. I still don't know how to adjust the speed of the randomization but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Doesn't sound particularly amazing purely as a delay or reverb compared to existing good apps but the randomize thing is pretty fun and can lead to interesting sounds. Definitely had some nice ambient stuff happening sending animoog through it. It leans towards longer looping style delay times. Mostly because it's kind of hard to dial in specific short (<400ms) delays.

He tried to add some visual sense to it with colors but it's still a little confusing understanding what's what and how it relates to other things on the screen. It's almost as if he decided on this grid of squares design and kept adding features but ultimately there were too many features for the grid to fully maintain spatial correlations.

Biggest problem with it is the swiping. You swipe the entire UI up and down to see all of the features (the presets, for instance, are at the bottom). That's kind of cool actually but the problem is adjusting the values of each square is also an up/down swipe. Lots of oopsing. One or the other should be horizontal swiping. Or two fingers to swipe the app up and down maybe.

Could also use a few presets. Not so much for the sounds but as examples to understand the app. There is a guide of sorts but it completely misses a few bits.

Two finger swiping or something to do fine adjustments would be welcome too.

A fun hour and totally worth the 2 bucks (cheaper than the coffee I've been sipping over the same time period and I can't use the coffee again later!). There is some very cool and innovative stuff in here. Looking forward to the ipad version.

• That UI is intense, to say the least.

• All of what @syrupcore said is spot on, the dev contacted me and asked if I would do a demo so I will try and get one done, you do have to play with it for a while but hopefully it will make a bit more sense after the video, you can get some very nice things out of it too.

• Looking forward to that Doug !
    Despite being initially scared off by the somewhat busy interface, this one was hard for me to resist...one mention of 'echo/delay/reverb' & my virtual mouth is already watering. Five minutes in & I'm already left confused as the output keeps dropping to zero....expect its due to something being randomised but I've yet to figure out what.....curse my limited attention span & aversion to reading manuals.

• Here is the demo, its still a little confusing lol, and @Paul16 I had exactly the same problem with the output dropping to zero, I fixed it by lowereing the Imput a bit from the microbrute and lowereing the output to arounf 100%, so I think its probably some sort of safety net for overload, who knows

• Hmm sending Oscilab's grooves through this could be interesting...

• The only review on the US AppStore is a 5 star review from the dev. C'mon dev, really? :)

Btw, thanks for the video! I can see the "mess all" button perhaps being fun to mess around with to get some weird sounds.

• Actually the quality of the effects, especially the reverb is really good, and perhaps the universal version will be easier to control, plus the addition of some presets would be good

• Yea the reverb did sound good. Due to my appoholism I am more then likely to get this one, but I'll hang on for the universal update and see what that brings.

• Nice one Doug ! Thanks, I'll dig into that after dinner :) & yes, maybe the universal version won't be limited to portrait. Splitting the two screens would be good & possibly eliminate the swipe issues.

• edited June 2014

deregulator AB glitch Demo

In the video you can see the Audiobus menu keeps popping in and out at regular intervals in deregulator but not in the other apps. I've never seen this behavior before.

• Hello to evaryone, i'm totally missed this place on my run. This is so cool to have first release, but seems like someone finds interface little bit confusing and i understand why, i saw this app from time when there was no interface at all :) And i like that you find this app useful. I thank you all, guys for support and attention and my toUpdate list is growing and many important improvements i wish to implement. There is so many of them it looks like 2.0 version :) quite bold folder for update is planned and its not excluded that I rewrite part of the program completely.

Also i create theme on Market Place to share some promo-codes and maybe moderator can combine this themes )

@Paulinko said:

deregulator AB glitch Demo

In the video you can see the Audiobus menu keeps popping in and out at regular intervals in deregulator but not in the other apps. I've never seen this behavior before.

Funny bug, i have no idea how it may happened :)

• Hello, everyone!
    Just little news for Deregulator.
    Until update price 50% sliced :) - little sale.
    Today already implemented MIDI(input and clock), added new control - damping frequency and i'm working on new more clear interface (universal have all controls on one screen). All this appears after update and i hope sound-flow become easy understandable. I come again soon to call you for bets-test new version.