Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some sort of limiting in AUM [Solved - iOS AGC]

Hi @j_liljedahl or anyone.

I think I’m experiencing some sort of channel limiting effect in AUM. It’s like when one channel peaks the rest lower in volume. But I’m not bussing to a limiter or anything. It’s like it is doing it automatically in the background.

Am I being daft?

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

I think I’m experiencing some sort of channel limiting effect in AUM. It’s like when one channel peaks the rest lower in volume. But I’m not bussing to a limiter or anything. It’s like it is doing it automatically in the background.

Am I being daft?

iOS has a built in AGC (automatic gain correction) that kicks in when output level goes above 0 dB. This only happens for built in speakers and headphones etc, not USB audio interfaces. Maybe this is what you're experiencing?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

Am I being daft?

iOS has a built in AGC (automatic gain correction) that kicks in when output level goes above 0 dB. This only happens for built in speakers and headphones etc, not USB audio interfaces. Maybe this is what you're experiencing?

Interesting. I hadn’t knowingly experienced that before. This was using Bluetooth headphones. That must be it! Thank you.

• edited December 2021

@gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

Am I being daft?

Interesting. I hadn’t knowingly experienced that before. This was using Bluetooth headphones. That must be it! Thank you.

That's why you're not getting clipping distortion when the peak level goes above 0 dB.

Note that if recording in 16 or 24 bit, the recording will clip even if you don't hear it while recording (because of mentioned AGC). 32-bit float recording does not have this problem, since it allows levels above 0 dB.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@gusgranite said:

Am I being daft?

That's why you're not getting clipping distortion when the peak level goes above 0 dB.

Note that if recording in 16 or 24 bit, the recording will clip even if you don't hear it while recording (because of mentioned AGC). 32-bit float recording does not have this problem, since it allows levels above 0 dB.

Thanks! I will make more of an effort to moderate my modulations… 🙂