Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AirPlay Display is amazing -- touch Ableton on iPad!

I'm just writing an article about AirPlay Display on macOS Monterey. It lets you use iPads and other Macs as external displays for your Mac.

I just put Ableton's second window onto my 12.9-inch iPad Pro over Wi-Fi (cable connection works too), and I can control Ableton with the Apple Pencil. Minimal latency, even on Wi-Fi.

Somehow, it's more stable than Sidecar.

Comments

• try also Astropad:)
    got better results with that!!!!!

• Check out Luna display (by Astropad company)

• @audiobussy said:
    Check out Luna display (by Astropad company)

Seems like you need to buy an adapter. Do you?.

• @mistercharlie what is the benefit? Operate a non touch optimized software by touch on a remote display on an iPad. How can this be better than using it directly on the Mac?

• @krassmann Ableton has a touch-friendly mode. I like it for clip launching, and adjust eq and stuff. It's Apple Pencil-only too.

Also handy for putting plugin windows off to the side in Logic and GarageBand. It's just a display in the end, so you get all the benefits of any external display. Not so helpful if you have a 32-inch main monitor, but for MacBook users, you could double your space.

• @tahiche said:

@audiobussy said:

Also a Mac. Bloody liberty.

• @krassmann said:
    @mistercharlie what is the benefit? Operate a non touch optimized software by touch on a remote display on an iPad. How can this be better than using it directly on the Mac?

When you are fifty feet away

• @tahiche said:

@audiobussy said:

It's a hardware dongle plus software

• @krassmann said:
    @mistercharlie what is the benefit? Operate a non touch optimized software by touch on a remote display on an iPad. How can this be better than using it directly on the Mac?

It’s amazing when you use an Apple Pencil with it for graphics apps on the Mac.

• I have monterrey installed and I don't see my ipad available to connect to. How is this set up? Is it in the public release of monterrey? Or, are you reporting on a beta feature?

• This is describing how to airplay FROM an iOS device TO a Mac. To make it work in the other direction:

1. Make sure both devices are on the same WIFI network or connected via USB.
    2. Open the Control Center from the far right of the menu bar of the Mac and find the 'Display' section.
    3. Expand this section (click on the > icon) and you should see your iPad in the 'Connect To: section.
    4. Click on the iPad and choose whether you want to mirror the entire Mac screen or use the iPad as a seperate display.
    5. To disconnect, go back to the Display section of Control Center and deselect the iPad.

Hope this helps...

• @enkaytee said:

This is describing how to airplay FROM an iOS device TO a Mac. To make it work in the other direction:

2. Open the Control Center from the far right of the menu bar of the Mac and find the 'Display' section.
    3. Expand this section (click on the > icon) and you should see your iPad in the 'Connect To: section.
    4. Click on the iPad and choose whether you want to mirror the entire Mac screen or use the iPad as a seperate display.
    5. To disconnect, go back to the Display section of Control Center and deselect the iPad.

Hope this helps...

I can airplay my iPad to my Monterrey Mac, but my iPad Pro 10.5 running latest iPadOS doesn't show up in the expanded section in the Control Center. Do you need a newer iPad to do this? I'm running the latest macOS and latest iPadOS.

• @skiphunt said:

@enkaytee said:

This is describing how to airplay FROM an iOS device TO a Mac. To make it work in the other direction:

Hope this helps...

I can airplay my iPad to my Monterrey Mac, but my iPad Pro 10.5 running latest iPadOS doesn't show up in the expanded section in the Control Center. Do you need a newer iPad to do this? I'm running the latest macOS and latest iPadOS.

This might help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380

• edited November 2021

@enkaytee said:

@skiphunt said:

@enkaytee said:

Hope this helps...

Thanks, but that’s instructions on how to use sidecar. Sidecar works fine for me, but the original poster @mistercharlie suggests it’s possible to do the same as sidecar but with airplay, and that it’s somewhat better.

• @skiphunt said:

@enkaytee said:

@skiphunt said:

@enkaytee said:

Hope this helps...

Thanks, but that’s instructions on how to use sidecar. Sidecar works fine for me, but the original poster @mistercharlie suggests it’s possible to do the same as sidecar but with airplay, and that it’s somewhat better.

Hmmm - don't think there's any other way of mirroring from a Mac to an iPad - maybe @mistercharlie can give us some more info...?

• Yes! It’s in the Display Prefpane on your Mac. At the bottom left corner of the window, there’s an “Add Display” drop-down menu to let you choose the iPad.

Then it works just like any other external monitor. I wrote about it here:

https://www.lifewire.com/airplay-display-is-the-macos-feature-you-didnt-know-you-needed-5209292

• edited November 2021

@mistercharlie said:
    Yes! It’s in the Display Prefpane on your Mac. At the bottom left corner of the window, there’s an “Add Display” drop-down menu to let you choose the iPad.

Then it works just like any other external monitor. I wrote about it here:

https://www.lifewire.com/airplay-display-is-the-macos-feature-you-didnt-know-you-needed-5209292

I see the add display and it DOES allow me to add the iPad, but isn't this really just the same as sidecar? If not, how is it different?

It appears this is just basically sidecar. Not anything different. Your post suggests that it's better than sidecar, but I tried doing it without wifi and it gave me a sidecar prompt. It doesn't appear that this is anything different than I could already do with sidecar. And yes, sidecar worked great for using my iPad as a second monitor until I ended up just buying a larger second display.

Sending the iPad to the Mac running Monterrey is new, but using the iPad as an extra monitor is just the same ol' sidecar that I've already had for the last year. Or, am I missing something?

thx!