Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I tested apps on an Android, and iPhone to find which ones work with a MIDI Controller (Novation)

What apps do you use with your Android, or iPhone? Do you use a MIDI controller with them? In this video, I cover the process from setting up an iPhone, and an Android to a Novation controller, and 5 apps I recommend using (2 of them on Android). Also added timestamps to the video to allow you to navigate to specific sections of the video.

">

link

Comments

• Didn't watch the video, but I hope Koala is on the Android list! It works with my LPPMK3.

• @slicetwo said:
    Didn't watch the video, but I hope Koala is on the Android list! It works with my LPPMK3.

Yep, Koala is one of them. Any guesses on the second one? Hint: Also works with the Launchpad, and is on iOS as well.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@slicetwo said:
    Didn't watch the video, but I hope Koala is on the Android list! It works with my LPPMK3.

Yep, Koala is one of them. Any guesses on the second one? Hint: Also works with the Launchpad, and is on iOS as well.

I'd assume it's Caustic or Cubasis since they're the only other apps I can think of that are on both.

• @slicetwo said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@slicetwo said:

I'd assume it's Caustic or Cubasis since they're the only other apps I can think of that are on both.

Good guess. It’s actually Remix Live. I was honestly surprised how well it integrated with the controller on my Android phone. The app is actually better than Ampify Launchpad (and this is coming from a fan of Ampify apps).

Haven’t gone in-depth on Caustic and Cubasis. I gotta dive into them soon.

• edited October 2021

I've used Zenbeats on Android, but my expectations are lower on that platform.

For Android, I think the biggest factor is fragmentation: iOS has been a relatively performant and stable music production platform since 2012; Android not so much. In 2015 there were 24,000 different Android devices by 1,300 different brands.

Because of fragmentation, Android results should stipulate which exact models were tested. The last time I looked at this, some Samsung devices were significantly more capable than other brands. How is the landscape in 2021?

Another factor is BLE MIDI for connecting controllers. I've never had a good experience with this on Android. Maybe one day...

• @mojozart Great point. I listed the devices I tested in the video description. Agreed with the mass amount of devices out there, and it would make for a really long video and would easily detract from the intent of the video if I were to do tests on every single device.

You’re right that Android is super fragmented. I’m thankful to have been in a role to test multiple Android and Apple devices before the past few years. Won’t go into detail but it was what helped me switch to iPhone for mobile music production.

During my tests, I found the most repeatable success with the Samsung S8 or higher (within the S-series, and Note series), and the Google Pixel lineup.

There are tons of great devices out them. One Plus, Xiaomi, even the pocophone is a great device in terms of specs. But a software update can completely remove a feature that was present. An example that came to mind was when the Android 9.0 update prevented audio screen recording, and stopped compatibility with Samsung’s music production app that was supposed to compete with GarageBand. Sometimes, manufacturers purposely limit features like the USB OTG in favour of making their premium brands look better (looking at the Samsung A- series, and J series).

Ah well, such is life. As of now, I’m comfortable recommending apps like Zenbeats or FL Studio as a DAW, Koala Sampler because of its interface and features, Beatonal as a quick Groovebox, Caustic (haven’t used it in-depth) as a Gadget alternative, and effects like Tonebridge, or Voloco.

• Conducting my own research as to whether it is time to switch over to an iPhone for daily duties as well as incorporating musical production and video techniques and found your video and read through your subsequent text. I just wanted to thank you for your time, diligence and informative contribution. It is very much appreciated! For my part, i enjoy my S9 for personal and business use and is faultless in those regards. It retains its headphone jack and has micro SIM card capabilities which is where i store my music and pictures. I have “dabbled” with field recordings and to date the workflow dictates exporting these files to the iPad or Mac. The question that most have to answer is whether it that additional music need justifies going over to an iPhone?!

• @Templegate said:
    Conducting my own research as to whether it is time to switch over to an iPhone for daily duties as well as incorporating musical production and video techniques and found your video and read through your subsequent text. I just wanted to thank you for your time, diligence and informative contribution. It is very much appreciated! For my part, i enjoy my S9 for personal and business use and is faultless in those regards. It retains its headphone jack and has micro SIM card capabilities which is where i store my music and pictures. I have “dabbled” with field recordings and to date the workflow dictates exporting these files to the iPad or Mac. The question that most have to answer is whether it that additional music need justifies going over to an iPhone?!

I've been wondering the same thing as I rock a s10e. However, until the iPhone is USB-C, I'll stick with android phones and an iPad. I'm not trying to carry around extra cables and crap. Once that change occurs, I'll consider a switch... maybe.

• @slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:
    Conducting my own research as to whether it is time to switch over to an iPhone for daily duties as well as incorporating musical production and video techniques and found your video and read through your subsequent text. I just wanted to thank you for your time, diligence and informative contribution. It is very much appreciated! For my part, i enjoy my S9 for personal and business use and is faultless in those regards. It retains its headphone jack and has micro SIM card capabilities which is where i store my music and pictures. I have “dabbled” with field recordings and to date the workflow dictates exporting these files to the iPad or Mac. The question that most have to answer is whether it that additional music need justifies going over to an iPhone?!

I've been wondering the same thing as I rock a s10e. However, until the iPhone is USB-C, I'll stick with android phones and an iPad. I'm not trying to carry around extra cables and crap. Once that change occurs, I'll consider a switch... maybe.

Honestly, if you have an iPad, you’re good. I’ve been using both an Android and an iPhone equally for over 3 years and they have their benefits.

For music production, sure, an iPhone is great as a first and only item. But if you have an iPad already, you already have 80% of the benefits you get from an iPhone, with the rest being trade offs.

Whenever I carry both items on the go (which is almost everyday), I exclusively reach for the iPad for quick and easy music production ideas. The Android I use for day-to-day, as there’s a lot of apps that aren’t on the iOS store that are non music related. The microphone quality is actually better, and there’s a ton of additional benefits based on which Android you’re using. For my Samsung, I like the S-Pen, and the better display.

That said, I do carry 2 phones on the go. One for work, and the other is my regular phone. The main features I like about the iPhone is synchronizing my voice memos, Air Drop, and iCloud easily. I can record ideas on the go with my iPhone, Air drop files easily, and also use iCloud.

Having a 3-in-1 cable with a powerbrick charger combo helped reduce the amount of cables I carry.

I shared what I carry with me on my music production walks here. But most times, it’s just my 3 mobile devices (Android, iPad, iPhone) , a pair of in-ear earphones with in-built microphone, and my powerbrick + 3-in -one charger combo.

• Thank you for your additional insight - i will look at the video later

• @slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:

Indeed - I should have included the USB C issue as well!

• @slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:

Same phone and setup here. I don't want an iPhone, and I prefer android's flexibility in tailoring it to my needs. For my use, tailoring the interface etc is not that important on the ipad which I only use for music but is very important on the phone which I use for almost everything but music.

• edited January 2022

@ervin said:

@slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:

Same phone and setup here. I don't want an iPhone, and I prefer android's flexibility in tailoring it to my needs. For my use, tailoring the interface etc is not that important on the ipad which I only use for music but is very important on the phone which I use for almost everything but music.

Great point. I guess I should be more specific with my answer.

I wouldn’t recommend an iPhone for music production if you already have an iPad unless

1. You want an easy way to send files and continue viewing content between multiple devices. Air Drop is honestly awesome, though I use it more between my iPads and Mac/other devices.
    2. You’re in need for a new phone/a first phone
    3. You want a portable sound module that you can take with you to live events and easily connect to other systems. For me, I use Korg Gadget
    4. You’re looking to make quick ideas using apps like Groovebox, TONALY, and other similar apps.

If you have an Android phone and wish to work with that device, I highly recommend Koala Sampler as the project file can also be opened on iOS. Simply email it to yourself/send it using an app like Xender/Google Drive to your Apple device.

Other iOS apps also on Android that I regularly use include Remix Live, Horucco, Zenbeats, Cubasis.

@ervin said:

@slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:

Great point. I guess I should be more specific with my answer.

I wouldn’t recommend an iPhone for music production if you already have an iPad unless

1. You want an easy way to send files and continue viewing content between multiple devices. Air Drop is honestly awesome, though I use it more between my iPads and Mac/other devices.
    2. You’re in need for a new phone/a first phone
    3. You want a portable sound module that you can take with you to live events and easily connect to other systems. For me, I use Korg Gadget
    4. You’re looking to make quick ideas using apps like Groovebox, TONALY, and other similar apps.

If you have an Android phone and wish to work with that device, I highly recommend Koala Sampler as the project file can also be opened on iOS. Simply email it to yourself/send it using an app like Xender/Google Drive to your Apple device.

Other iOS apps also on Android that I regularly use include Remix Live, Horucco, Zenbeats, Cubasis.

Good points, thanks mate.

@slicetwo said:

@Templegate said:

Honestly, if you have an iPad, you’re good. I’ve been using both an Android and an iPhone equally for over 3 years and they have their benefits.

For music production, sure, an iPhone is great as a first and only item. But if you have an iPad already, you already have 80% of the benefits you get from an iPhone, with the rest being trade offs.

Whenever I carry both items on the go (which is almost everyday), I exclusively reach for the iPad for quick and easy music production ideas. The Android I use for day-to-day, as there’s a lot of apps that aren’t on the iOS store that are non music related. The microphone quality is actually better, and there’s a ton of additional benefits based on which Android you’re using. For my Samsung, I like the S-Pen, and the better display.

That said, I do carry 2 phones on the go. One for work, and the other is my regular phone. The main features I like about the iPhone is synchronizing my voice memos, Air Drop, and iCloud easily. I can record ideas on the go with my iPhone, Air drop files easily, and also use iCloud.

Having a 3-in-1 cable with a powerbrick charger combo helped reduce the amount of cables I carry.

I shared what I carry with me on my music production walks here. But most times, it’s just my 3 mobile devices (Android, iPad, iPhone) , a pair of in-ear earphones with in-built microphone, and my powerbrick + 3-in -one charger combo.

I feel you. I started with an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, then Galaxy S3, S5, Moto X, Note 8, and now the s10e. Also had Android tablets until the 6th gen iPad (now I have the Air 4). I def. like the Android experience, overall, but the loss of the headphone jack and SD cards at this point is making Android less necessary for me, though I am really tied into the Google ecosystem. I used to care a lot about the hardcore customization and rooted all my phones and such, but not so much anymore. There are also not a lot of exciting Android phones at the moment that seem worth the cost, whereas with the iPhone, I'd at least be able to use Patterning2 and stuff while on the john. With that said, I don't plan on getting rid of my s10e anytime soon, so by the time I do, who knows what will be out there.