Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that still don't exist, that you want.

An iPadOS AU wavetable editor similar to Vital or Serum.

But it doesn't even have to be a full fledged synth. Just the wavetable editor with method to audit your work in the editor would be enough. Synthmaster and Drambo can work with custom wavetables.

I keep looking at 4Pockets Neon and think if it only had the ability to switch out of using time signatures as the method of ruler measurement, and use sample lengths instead. If Neon's auto sample could send midi out to whatever instruments and effects you set up in AUM. It could then auto record a proper 256 cycle length sample, then use the existing time stretch to fit it into a 2048 sample file length.

To be comparable to Serum or Vital in editing capability, it would need a set of tools for working in key frames and applying morph modes.

Neon already has a very good set of tools for merging different files from the file bay, that could be cool to use for taking samples from multiple other synths and effects in AUM, then merging pieces of each for build up custom wavetables. Then play the wavetable from one Neon instance, through effects, and resample it into another Neon instance.

It just seems like it could be a lot of fun to be able to work in AUM with other instruments and experiment with wavetables... all on the iPad.

Even if it was a new app built upon Neon technology, but exclusively designed for wavetable use.

I also hope someday Paul from 4Pockets would build a synth. It seems with all the apps he has, and his method of repurposing code for making new apps, that a Synth might fit into that design paradigm.

Next App...

I'd really like to have just a plain midi recorder with a retrospective recording feature. With a feature to visually audit what it records, trim out the good sections, and save them as midi files.

I think Loopy Pro may eventually be able to do retrospective recording in midi, so that would be cool. But I really thing just a plain simplistic AU recorder that could be loaded into AUM and used to go back in time and save parts from jam sessions, would be great.

Comments

• Melodyne (or something like it) is an app I've been waiting years for.

• AUv3 turntable emulation for scratching with simple sample load.

• edited October 2021

@horsetrainer if you haven't already sent these ideas along to Paul then now is the time as he is in that period with Neon where he is still adding user-requested stuff. I don't think he reads this forum very often if at all so dropping an email or commenting on his YouTube videos is the best way of reaching him.

I read in the chat section of one of Doug's live streams that Paul had been looking at creating a synth so it might happen one day.

I would like to see an app which lets you internally pipe audio or MIDI data between app sandbox environments. SonoBus works for the audio side of this but it wasn't really made for this task and is fiddly to set up each time you want to use.

The idea would be to have a plugin in two hosts which would either be sending or receiving data and all the app would do is move audio or MIDI (depending on where they were put) between instances. These instances would remember who they were talking to each time you load their state and automatically reconnect. Something like this would let you add a line-in/out to any DAW letting you (for example) play guitar into NS2, or have multiple Obsidian instances as inputs in AUM lanes. I don't know what interprocess communication options there are to achieve this between sandboxes but using sockets like SonoBus would be a good starting point.

It would basically be a version of the MIDI Bus utility but one that worked between sandboxes and would also work for audio.

In a similar vein, I'd like to see a server version of StudioMux in iOS so that I could connect two iPads and share their resources in the same way as I can between the iPad and Mac. I don't think there is a way of doing this at the moment outside of using something like SonoBus though I would be happy to be corrected there.

Edit: thinking about it some more - being able to use StudioMux plugins in an iOS host would pretty much solve the audio side of the problem both locally and between iPads.

• edited October 2021

A version of FL Mobile that is closer to the desktop version and supports AUv3.

Pure Acid but with 808 bass (sub bass) and trap drum samples.

Edit: A @brambos groovebox similar to Pure Acid but combining a drone like Mononoke with drums like Ruismaker Noir.

• Valhalla DSP plug-ins.
    Melodyne.
    Kontakt.
    AnalogLab.
    Output Arcade.
    Cubasis AUX tracks.

• An AUV3 dual cabinet Impulse Response loader like NadIR, that is #1 on my app wish list.

• A DAW that can switch between linear recording and a clip launcher.

• AUv3 version of the free Odin 2...
    https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2

...it's a GPL3 license so it'll likely never come to iOS/iPadOS :(

• edited October 2021

A Kymatica DAW (Midi+Audio). Want it even more than Logic Pro i guess.Maybe.
    GR16 with stereo sample support and proper sample/file browser (bit cheating here)
    Everything U-he

• I think we need an app called "Drambo Killer".

I've no idea what it will do or how it will work, but you know it makes sense.

• edited October 2021

Good topic!
    My fantasy list:
    * A proper, modeled clavinet AUV3 with effects: needs to happen
    * Modeled guitar AUV3: could possibly combine with clavinet plugin, proper string plucking modeled plugin
    * Dreaming: Strymon AUV3s 😍
    * Logic Pro: seems inevitable at some point in time especially with M1 iPads
    * Dreaming: Updated Maschine app that works with an updated USB-C Mikro MK4?
    * New Moog AUV3s, maybe some throwbacks like MemoryMoog or Taurus
    * Dreaming: Ableton Live M (for mobile) with Ableton Push M USB-C controller?
    * Dreaming: Make Noise AUV3s: I’m sure they could make something fun and unique just for iOS
    * Dreaming: Teenage Engineering AUV3s: I’m sure they could make something fun and unique just for iOS as well!
    * Access Virus AUV3: often requested
    * Serato Sample AUV3: Why not? Even though we have sEGments and ReSlice
    * Waves AUV3s: seems like easy money for Waves
    * FabFilter Volcano, Twin 2 and One as AUV3s: seems likely
    * +1 Melodyne AUV3: fantasy that could become reality
    * +1 Valhalla AUV3s
    * Arturia V and FX Collections 🤩
    * NanoStudio 3 with audio tracks and full MIDI mapping
    * Wolfgang Palm plug-ins return to App Store
    * Roland acquire ReBirth code and re-release in App Store

• This on iOS…

• This for iOS

• Well, Logic Pro X first, then Plasmonic would be the first on my list followed by Breeze 2 and Precedence.
    Then some Kontakt libraries like the Emotional Cello, Viola and Violin series.
    Next, maybe something bigger like the BBC Orchestra. Oh....just too much to buy it all again.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NS2 with audio tracks would do it for me. Best workflow of any iOS music app for my feeble brain otherwise.

• I'd love a simple AUv3 clip launcher with good time stretch into which I can load a big pile of drum loops to launch in tempo with the host app. The clips would be selectable by midi note, or scrolled through by midi CC. LP5 is very good, but is not AUv3. Does such a thing already exist?

I'd also love some Valhalla goodies on ios.

• An app focusing only on timeline based audio arranging/editing/mixing/FX/mastering. No midi, no keys, no AU instruments, no Link, no Sync, no dev distractions from the glory of pure hardcore multitrack audio.

• A proper iMaschine with all the bells and whistles (AUv3 etc) that reads my NI expansions.

OR a proper alternative.GR16 is almost there but lacks support for stereo samples.Beathawk is ok too but not enough FX,synthesis options or multiple outs.Any other alternatives?

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Good topic!
    My fantasy list:

• Dreaming: Strymon AUV3s 😍

I see your Strymon AUv3s and raise you Meris AUV3s

• edited October 2021

Aalto
    Virtual quantratid swarm
    Some sort of buchla easel emulation
    Something that can run Norns scripts
    Shallow water
    A subharmonicon app
    And finally now that the hardware is out of production, a virtual Ellitone multi-synth

• @Crabman said:
    A proper iMaschine with all the bells and whistles (AUv3 etc) that reads my NI expansions.

OR a proper alternative.GR16 is almost there but lacks support for stereo samples.Beathawk is ok too but not enough FX,synthesis options or multiple outs.Any other alternatives?

BM3 has come a long way. Closest thing to Maschine in my mind.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

• Dreaming: Make Noise AUV3s: I’m sure they could make something fun and unique just for iOS
    • Dreaming: Teenage Engineering AUV3s: I’m sure they could make something fun and unique just for iOS as well!

Hell yes!

• Like one or more others have said
    Logic Pro X (and if not that then the version of Alchemy currently in LPX)
    Valhalla plugins (Delay and supermassive!!!!)

and on the feature wishlist... not sure if Loopy Pro will do this eventually but I hope so because I believe midi loops is one of the features to come. Anyway, when making midi loops, the ability to overdub CC automation would be awesome. And editing of those CC's afterwards would be great (for cleanup)

• edited October 2021

@AudioGus said:

@Crabman said:
    A proper iMaschine with all the bells and whistles (AUv3 etc) that reads my NI expansions.

BM3 has come a long way. Closest thing to Maschine in my mind.

you are right i guess but i have it and dont‘t like it.Also,it‘s a DAW.I‘m looking for an AU plugin.i wouldn‘t mind to have the BM3 Drumsampler standalone.So,that‘s one more for this thread :smiley:

• This thread is a goldmine for developers!
    I’m sitting here watching the Disney 50 years with my daughter thinking about imagination… I’m sure something amazing will come from this thread. Stay tuned!

• @MadeofWax said:

This for iOS

have you tried Steel Guitar by Yonac. its pretty great.

• I also want Ableton. I would pay 100$ for a stripped back version of ableton.

Valhalla stuff

A Piano Motifs but for cinematic sounds

Infiltrator from Devious Machines

Hainbach's Wires

Serum

Phaseplant + MultiPass

Spitfire Audio LABS

A Swarmatron Emulation

Reaktor

more stuff from @brambos

more stuff from @Hainbach

etc etc