Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mixing in Auria part 2- subgroups and auxes

New video is up, focusing on subgroups and auxes, as requested. Thanks for the interest!

Comments

• Thanks again. Eq and compression?

• Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time. You have helped demystify the world of Orcs (sic) and Buses. And by doing so opened up a few interesting (if potentially dangerous :) lines of inquiry for me. A good thing. JG

• Cool, ask away! I noticed that the video looked a little blurry, was it ok enough to watch? The first video was so easy and this one was a challenge to film for some reason. I'll do some eq and compression next then as that would be my next step in mixing the song anyway.

• Nice work. I didn't think it was blurry but it was kind of quiet.

• Much appreciated @mrufino1. Good stuff.

• Really? Ok, I'll take a look at that for the next one. For others that are putting out videos, how are you recording them? I'm just using my iPhone with the tascam im2 mic, but ideally id like to record the output of the iPad directly. I have reflector but it looks like it does not work with auria.

Also, if someone on here wouldn't mind posting links to the videos on the iPad musician Facebook group that would be cool. I had to delete my account in December for a few reasons, and that group is the one thing I miss a lot. I know some people here are also there. Thanks!

• You mention using Microwarmer to warm up the drums. Can Saturn do this?

• @Fitz said:

You mention using Microwarmer to warm up the drums. Can Saturn do this?

Yes, in small doses I'm sure it would achieve a similar effect, especially if you use the tape saturation distortion. The only difference might be that microwarmer may also compress a little.

• Thanks for that. Saturn looks more versatile and they are the same price. Just started buying the FabFilter plug ins and not sure where it will end!

• @mrufino1, have posted on the ios Musicians Facebook page. Looking forward to the third instalment.

• @mrufino1, Thanks for this nice series of videos, and thanks too for using a pop/rock track for the demo!

As to the blurriness in the second video, it seems it was recorded and/or uploaded in 240p resolution, whereas the first one was fine at 720p...

• @Fitz said:

Thanks for that. Saturn looks more versatile and they are the same price. Just started buying the FabFilter plug ins and not sure where it will end!

Saturn is a dedicated distortion plugin, it definitely has a lot more options for distortion than Microwarmer, but Microwarmer is also a compressor (in fact it's a tape emulation so it both compresses and distorts), so they are both versatile in their own ways, and likely to have very different sounds.

• Will Saturn be useful for acoustic and nylon guitar, or Microwarmer? I'm not so interested in distortion per se, more warming acoustic sounds. I do have Bias, but it does seems too much (especially CPU) sometimes for my tasks.

• @mmp said:

@mrufino1, Thanks for this nice series of videos, and thanks too for using a pop/rock track for the demo!

As to the blurriness in the second video, it seems it was recorded and/or uploaded in 240p resolution, whereas the first one was fine at 720p...

Aha! I uploaded it at a public place , it may have compressed it. I'll upload again from home today and compress the links. And you're welcome on the track, it's one we recorded a few years ago that never quite got a final mix, but auria has been helping me finish mixes now. Limits are good!!

As for the Saturn/ vintage warmer question, I have both and use both, I'll be happy to compare them for you when I start really mixing the track as I do interchange them depending on the song. I keep saying vintage warmer- I used that on the desktop for ages, keep forgetting it's micro warmer! Vintage warmer was multiband. It does some cool things to drums though.

Saturn has compression also, but there's no controls for it except amount, where micro warmer allows you to adjust the attack , release, and knee controls. They're both unique plugins and both are really useful. I use Saturn often on the master bus and I LOVE it on bass tracks sometimes, I will make sure I show that...

Anyway, I'll upload the video in hd later, I didn't think it was that blurry! I upload straight from the photo gallery, so it's not without it's glitches I guess.

• @Fitz said:

Will Saturn be useful for acoustic and nylon guitar, or Microwarmer? I'm not so interested in distortion per se, more warming acoustic sounds. I do have Bias, but it does seems too much (especially CPU) sometimes for my tasks.

maybe a very small amount of distortion could help, but it really sounds like EQ might be more useful in this case.

• I imagine i'll get all the plug ins eventually but unless there's a sale again (unlikely, as I missed the last one) i'm preferring to get one a month more or less, and learn how to use it. I've just got Timeless but imagine that's for some instruments and could probably talk myself into Saturn if it can help the mix in general. I'm also preferring to use FabFilters because I think they share characteristics?

• Thanks for taking time to make these vids.

• You're welcome. I just accidentally deleted the clip from my ipad, so this one will just have to live on as glorious 240p...luckily it wasn't too reliant on visuals. I'm going to try using filmic pro today with my alesis io4 interface, I'll see if that works. I appreciate everyone watching!

• @Fitz said:

I imagine i'll get all the plug ins eventually but unless there's a sale again (unlikely, as I missed the last one) i'm preferring to get one a month more or less, and learn how to use it. I've just got Timeless but imagine that's for some instruments and could probably talk myself into Saturn if it can help the mix in general. I'm also preferring to use FabFilters because I think they share characteristics?

They're both good, so eventually you'll like them both I think. Saturn is definitely more versatile but micro warmer does something to the sound that nothing else does, in a cool way. Timeless is a great delay, hard to believe its $20!

• Thanks for the help mrufino1 and richardyot, it probably won't be the last time I ask for help! Just off to try Saturn.

• edited May 2014

Thanks for the vid! I never understood what aux was, but it is clear to me now! You explain it very good. The vid is a bit blurry and the volume is a bit low - but that has been discussed here - nevertheless I can understand everything, and it is ok as it is. Thanks for sharing your workflow!

• Love Saturn. And Volcano also. Can be very cool in combination. Would love videos on each plug-in actually. I love how they sound but am stumbling like a blind man in a sugar factory; it all tastes good, but I have no real idea where I am....

• I could do a video on Saturn, although fabfilter does great videos on their plugins. But I will definitely show you how I use it because I do use it and love it. I don't have volcano, so I can't help you there, sorry.

I'm going to concentrate on building the actual mix now, and as questions arise please ask and I'll try to incorporate what I can. It is an opportunity to learn from other people's view also, which I always welcome.