Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Octatrack vs Ipad-best method for program change

I keep on thinking of getting my+ Octatrack paired with iPad. I want it for a live set where each Pattern/Part on the Octatrack will change a whole set of synth instantly on iPad .
Similar to How I currently use it with my Virus Ti.

Anyone doing it? any suggestions?

My only idea is in Aum I to set preset load which should change presets instantly on the synths that are loaded.

Comments

• Alright, so I was doing something kind of like this with my Digitone+Digitakt+iPad setup. You can read all about it (and my PC situation) here.

TLDR for that particularly: It worked most of the time. There were times when the synth (mostly Drambo) would crash on program change, or not even register the program change and my bassline was played by a lead sound until I did it manually. The whole experience actually caused me to buy a 3rd OT (after selling it twice) so I could hold the iPad parts as audio loops. The iPad, for now in this particular rig, will serve as my pattern change master, possibly a master fx chain, or just Samplr for fun.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to go back to sequencing extra voices with the iPad via the Octatrack, but until I can land on a stable and reliable way to do the preset changes and such, I'll be rocking the OT for playing back those parts.

• It’s not a proper answer to your question, but whenever I sequence the iPad with the Octatrack, and I get something I like, I just sample it back into the Octatrack. I’ve lost too many good parts by trusting iPad midi.

• @slicetwo said:
    Alright, so I was doing something kind of like this with my Digitone+Digitakt+iPad setup. You can read all about it (and my PC situation) here.

TLDR for that particularly: It worked most of the time. There were times when the synth (mostly Drambo) would crash on program change, or not even register the program change and my bassline was played by a lead sound until I did it manually. The whole experience actually caused me to buy a 3rd OT (after selling it twice) so I could hold the iPad parts as audio loops. The iPad, for now in this particular rig, will serve as my pattern change master, possibly a master fx chain, or just Samplr for fun.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to go back to sequencing extra voices with the iPad via the Octatrack, but until I can land on a stable and reliable way to do the preset changes and such, I'll be rocking the OT for playing back those parts.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the post from Elekronauts and the comments.
    As you mentioned there u tried to avoid recording the stems.
    Same as I.
    I prefer not sampling to octatrack the synths. @mistercharlie

The way I use Octatrack with the Virus Ti is 7 tracks of drums on Octatrack and 8 synth on Virus. (8th track is effects).

Each bank has 4 songs made out of 4 patterns.
    Each 4 patterns is a “part” with 8 midi channels set to different virus programs.

I wanted to have a similar setup with my iPad.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz it's definitely doable, just need to be sure to use low CPU apps that are rock solid stable.

If you're OK using the same synths with different presets in your set, it's pretty simple to set up.

1. Load up your synth sounds and save them as presets in AUM.

2. Assign program change messages to each preset. You could even have all of them properly lined up and have one PC change them all.

Let me know of that makes sense. Typing on my phone.

• @slicetwo said:
    @Tamir_Raz_Mataz it's definitely doable, just need to be sure to use low CPU apps that are rock solid stable.

If you're OK using the same synths with different presets in your set, it's pretty simple to set up.

1. Load up your synth sounds and save them as presets in AUM.

2. Assign program change messages to each preset. You could even have all of them properly lined up and have one PC change them all.

Let me know of that makes sense. Typing on my phone.

That’s the way.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I’ll do it at some stage when I will have enough of carrying the virus along with Octatrack.

• @slicetwo said:
    Alright, so I was doing something kind of like this with my Digitone+Digitakt+iPad setup. You can read all about it (and my PC situation) here.

I too was looking for a way to sync iPad with Digitakt patterns. I use Zenbeats clip mode or LK, so the method would be the same, if triggering a scene in ZB or LK, trigger a PC change to change the Digitakt pattern accordingly. Actually LK can send PC messages so it shouldn’t be needed for that, but Zenbeats can’t.
    @slicetwo i downloaded your Mozaic patch, which is great but in my use case I don’t need a “button” but rather program the PC trigger so it sends it on Clip/scene launch. So I’ve made a new version where a note is translated to PC, that way you can draw a note where you want the PC change to occur. Haven’t tried it yet but it should be si,please enough. We’ll see if the change is inmediate and I’ll probably run into a few problems…

• @tahiche said:

@slicetwo said:

I too was looking for a way to sync iPad with Digitakt patterns. I use Zenbeats clip mode or LK, so the method would be the same, if triggering a scene in ZB or LK, trigger a PC change to change the Digitakt pattern accordingly. Actually LK can send PC messages so it shouldn’t be needed for that, but Zenbeats can’t.
    @slicetwo i downloaded your Mozaic patch, which is great but in my use case I don’t need a “button” but rather program the PC trigger so it sends it on Clip/scene launch. So I’ve made a new version where a note is translated to PC, that way you can draw a note where you want the PC change to occur. Haven’t tried it yet but it should be si,please enough. We’ll see if the change is inmediate and I’ll probably run into a few problems…

Awesome!