Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ruismaker Noir: The One-Shot Factory

I wanted to share this as I don’t think it has been discussed here and I think it’s worth sharing. Ruismaker Noir is a one-shot sample factory. I know it’s probably not how it was intended to be used, but this beast is perfect for creating drum and bass one-shots.

It’s very easy to take something like the kick preset and tweak various knobs until you get something super punchy and bassy that could be used in a beat. Claps and hats are pretty straight forward too.

I’ll typically make a handful of presets and then load Noir into AUM. I’ll set the sequencer to the first node and turn off the rest. I’ll record that one node and then immediately turn off the sequencer so that I just get the one hit. Within a couple of minutes, I have a folder of samples in Audioshare. I can throw them in Flip, EG Pulse, Slate, etc..

@brambos not sure if you intended Noir to be used this way or if anyone has mentioned using it this way before, but I have to say you created an excellent sample creation tool.

Comments

• @DukeWonder said:
    I’ll typically make a handful of presets and then load Noir into AUM. I’ll set the sequencer to the first node and turn off the rest. I’ll record that one node and then immediately turn off the sequencer so that I just get the one hit. Within a couple of minutes, I have a folder of samples in Audioshare. I can throw them in Flip, EG Pulse, Slate, etc..

Ooh. I have an OP-Z arriving next week. This will be an easy way of creating new kits (although I'll stop myself doing it for the first few months, as the factory kits sound great). Cheers.

• Another 'One-Shot Factory' worth trying is Fractal Bits.

• @Samu said:
    Another 'One-Shot Factory' worth trying is Fractal Bits.

yes! what a gem :)

• @iansainsbury said:

@DukeWonder said:

Ooh. I have an OP-Z arriving next week. This will be an easy way of creating new kits (although I'll stop myself doing it for the first few months, as the factory kits sound great). Cheers.

Good factory kits are extremely helpful. @ElliottGarage has some fantastic kits built into EG Pulse.

@Samu said:
    Another 'One-Shot Factory' worth trying is Fractal Bits.

Thanks. I definitely needed another app to buy today 😂😭

@CapnWillie said:
    Yes yes y’all. I actually thought that this is exactly what it was intended for. Either way it’s also how I use it and it’s amazing. Noir and Kosmonaut by @brambos are two of my very fav and essential apps.

Also love Chow Kick for making my own kick shots and AudioKits 808 bass synth is by far the best for subs/bass IMO. All of these (honorable mention Pure Synth w/ Bassolicious IAP) are imported into BM3 sampler for additional processing when necessary. I find this much better/quicker/funner than my hardware drum machines for creating my own kits and packs.

Over the past month, iOS has sped back ahead of even my Maschine workflow for sound creation. Creating/Using the sounds both ways ios/desktop is dead simple using idam but lately I’ve been preferring iPad touch screen to create sounds…Mk3 pads/Komplete keyboard to play them.

I actually had to uninstall Bass 808 to force me to try something else. It’s so useful, but I’m hoping to diversify my sound a bit.

• @DukeWonder said:
    @brambos not sure if you intended Noir to be used this way or if anyone has mentioned using it this way before, but I have to say you created an excellent sample creation tool.

Ha! Two thumbs up from me :)

It's a plugin, so its range of intended uses is only limited by the host and how you plug it into your workflow ;)

• @DukeWonder said:
    I wanted to share this as I don’t think it has been discussed here and I think it’s worth sharing. Ruismaker Noir is a one-shot sample factory. I know it’s probably not how it was intended to be used, but this beast is perfect for creating drum and bass one-shots.

It’s very easy to take something like the kick preset and tweak various knobs until you get something super punchy and bassy that could be used in a beat. Claps and hats are pretty straight forward too.

I made a hundred or so one shot samples with it. Great types of sounds to record with no low pass and throw a velocity controlled lp filter on for variation.

• I love the randomize features on plugins because sometimes it can surprise you in a positive way. What about loading Noir (or multiple instances of it) together with Fractal Bits or other plugins 😇🤟

• Noir is just an all-time favorit

• Great thread title

• Noir comes through with sounds and tweakability that no other app does. Killer app. And yes, love the description of Noir as a hit factory.

• And lots of things are possible to further enhance what it already has to offer:

• Speed up, slow down and manipulate the internal sequencer of Noir (change size, position, add pauses/gates)
    • Use Noir’s sequencer with other apps like Fractal Bits or use multiple apps in one session assigned to one master bus.
    • Speed up, slow down your host (AUM) for complex oscillator sounds or more lengthy percussion sounds.

What would be nice though is to be able to automate the randomize functions of an app. Currently this is a feature within Noir and Fractal bits that works but cannot be automated within AUM. If that would be an option you could use the randomize function with a single button click instead of tapping the multiple views.

• Nice to see the love! It certainly is a gem.
    @brambos
    I know you consider your creations ‘done’ feature wise after initial feedback, but this is probably easy to implement... :)
    A second button to reverse key tracking for the second osc :)
    Also, just fired up Noir in standalone mode on Air3 13.7 and got blank screen...

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Nice to see the love! It certainly is a gem.
    @brambos
    I know you consider your creations ‘done’ feature wise after initial feedback, but this is probably easy to implement... :)
    Also, just fired up Noir in standalone mode on Air3 13.7 and got blank screen...

Just restart your device. It’s the dreaded disappearing AUv3 bug of iOS since 11.0

• @brambos said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    @brambos

Just restart your device. It’s the dreaded disappearing AUv3 bug of iOS since 11.0

Indeed, thanks!
    I wasn’t aware it’s been around since 11, never occurred on this device before (not in hosts anyway).

• Although quite limited, this guy is quite good for one shots. Randomise button makes it a good one for happy accidents.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/toytone/id1016447265

@brambos said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    @brambos

Indeed, thanks!
    I wasn’t aware it’s been around since 11, never occurred on this device before (not in hosts anyway).

Yeah, it's mostly dreaded by me as it's the one iOS flaw that leads to a ton of support effort and 1-star reviews for me :/

• I love Noir. I like to tweak it up and make some weird ambient one shots, usually a crazy background snare. I just love BB apps period haha

• @brambos said:

Yeah, it's mostly dreaded by me as it's the one iOS flaw that leads to a ton of support effort and 1-star reviews for me :/

Hopefully it'll work fine when iPadOS15 drops :sunglasses:

If the app is important and the issues one is having are 'fixed' by a more recent OS update then I really don't get why some refuse to update the OS?! (I have ZERO 'broken' apps installed on my iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.7.1).

Cheers!

• Agreed, Noir is great for one shots. I like to add some variation to the sequence and record the full bar, then slice the hits up in Drambo’s Flexi Sampler....you get a nice bunch of hit variations that you can rearrange however you want. Great for adding dynamics to a percussion track by having subtle variations for each hit.

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

Hopefully it'll work fine when iPadOS15 drops :sunglasses:

If the app is important and the issues one is having are 'fixed' by a more recent OS update then I really don't get why some refuse to update the OS?! (I have ZERO 'broken' apps installed on my iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.7.1).

Cheers!

Apparently the disappearing AUs issue is present on iOS15 as well.
    If an update offers anything useful that’s understandable, but I found nothing on latest and upcoming versions that I actually need... on the other hand it’s a one way street atm, and a device will start to struggle when updated beyond its comfort zone. As much as I love my air2 (haven’t touched tho since it decided to go 14.3 overnight) after starting to use Air3 it wasn’t the additional cpu power that kept me from using air2, it was the gpu performance... slow af.
    Like I said, in a typical environment (hosted as AU) never had issues on 13.7 with any of my stuff, hence not even considering updating my main device... will try 15 on air2 tho :)

• Also, Apple will never consider allowing OS rollback if it can claim year after year that the majority of devices run the latest OS, which I think is a major block for professionals, and will continue to be...

• If you get HammerHead, you don’t need to waste time sampling oneshots ever again, but it can also use the old samples you’ve created over the years.

• @jolico said:
    If you get HammerHead, you don’t need to waste time sampling oneshots ever again, but it can also use the old samples you’ve created over the years.

HH is So Great.

• @jolico said:
    If you get HammerHead, you don’t need to waste time sampling oneshots ever again, but it can also use the old samples you’ve created over the years.

How does that work?

• @dokwok2 said:

@jolico said:

How does that work?

HH is a sample player as well as a simple yet quite capable drum synth engine / voice
    Very different from Noir, but both are very rewarding

@dokwok2 said:

@jolico said:

How does that work?

HH is a sample player as well as a simple yet quite capable drum synth engine / voice
    Very different from Noir, but both are very rewarding

Here’s what each sound option looks like:
    (Any one of these can be selected for each part separately)

Great Built-in samples

Import your own sample

Drum synth with randomizer that can easily create kicks, snares, hats or other percussive sound fx

• I have both apps. What do you find is the most straightforward way to get Noir one-shots into Hammerhead? I can imagine doing this with AUM/Audioshare; I'm just wondering if there's a more direct route.

• @jolico
    That’s so us, comfy users... when pointing out a synth we don’t point at knobs... we point at randomisers 😂 👍

• @dokwok2 said:
    I have both apps. What do you find is the most straightforward way to get Noir one-shots into Hammerhead? I can imagine doing this with AUM/Audioshare; I'm just wondering if there's a more direct route.

AUM with AudioShare or other DAW that can host/record AuV3s, so that you can export layered sounds from multiple instances of noir or even hammerhead itself.

Hammerhead can also take loops.

• edited September 2021

A randomizing one shot factory that is able to cut and save its individual sounds would be handy. Although I like randomizing, I dislike cutting/renaming things on iOS.

Hammerhead also gives very nice results, especially with the resonator.