Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VADrum2 by Ryo Togawa

2»

Comments

• edited March 2023

@Slush said:

@HotStrange said:
    Anyone still using this? I really like it. Great for the 80s stuff. The menu diving is a bit wonky and it’s taking some getting used to though.

I am considering this, as I really like the quality of VaPoly and their BBD echo, but I wonder if Ruismaker is on the same page quality wise and/or maybe a tat more user friendly?

I’ve never tried Ruismaker, but if it’s anything like Ruismaker Noir, it will definitely have the edge on the interface. VADrum does sound really good though, like all Ryo apps. And it’s still on sale. Not sure how long, but it’s usually $14.99-$15.99

• It’s on sale today for $/£5.99.

And it’s universal (iPhone/ipad/Mac)

Bargain.

• Thanks for making that comment and getting the thread bumped to the front. I hadn’t seen this before and just got it.
    The UI is a bit wacky, but this is actually pretty useful.

• @garden said:
    Thanks for making that comment and getting the thread bumped to the front. I hadn’t seen this before and just got it.
    The UI is a bit wacky, but this is actually pretty useful.

Judging by the comments above I would say it’s very underrated.

They’ve obviously shied away from marketing it as an 808/909 clone but that’s what it is.

It’s a pretty cool emulation and although I have more sampled TR sounds than I can shake a stick at I’m a big fan of synth based emulations — and having a virtual 808 in my phone for £6 is crazy.

• It’s great but I hope some day the dev will revamp the UI, so you will have all the percussions on one page without switching. AudioDamage proved with Axon 3 that you can make tiny microscopic dials and we still seem to work it out somehow.

• How does everyone fare with it not being multiout? I suppose all the tools are there to mix everything in the app itself but I still tend to use something else instead due to it

• edited April 22

@Fingolfinzz said:
    How does everyone fare with it not being multiout? I suppose all the tools are there to mix everything in the app itself but I still tend to use something else instead due to it

Multiple instances works for me. In Logic it would appear that CPU use is based on the number of voices playing rather than the number of instances. This also has the benefit that I can arrange the drums in the arrange window directly. Such as independently change say the hi hat pattern, mute regions I don’t want, have different length patterns for each hit etc. logic is pretty efficient with multiple instances such that I never actually bother with multi outs.

Anyways. I’ve used multi instances instead of multi outs in every app forever. Going back decades.

I usually mix and match drums too. So rarely use one app foe every hit.

And lastly if I want, say, a big reverb on the snare hit I often only want it on the odd snare — having it on a separate track means I also have the ‘standard’ snare on a different track.

If I wanted to control the drums in one pattern I would make a track stack — and limit the midi range of each track to ensure I get the correct assignments (this is exactly what Logic’s DMD does) — or make the kit with DMD, with a different instance for each hit.

If I start with a patter and want the individual hits I’ll extract those from the pattern (or extract each note separately via pitch via that command).

• Having said all of that — VADrum could do with a distortion module. It would make standalone mode more fun.

• @klownshed thanks, those are good tips. I do sometimes hate how multiout is implemented anyway when I have to make another bus in aum just for high hats or percussion so I might as well do it like that. Yeah a distortion would cool, I like the one on VAmono a lot and would like to hear that on some kicks and snares

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    @klownshed thanks, those are good tips. I do sometimes hate how multiout is implemented anyway when I have to make another bus in aum just for high hats or percussion so I might as well do it like that. Yeah a distortion would cool, I like the one on VAmono a lot and would like to hear that on some kicks and snares

I can see why multi-outs can be good to, but I don’t really care if a plugin has them or not personally as I use an alternative method that works for me. I think some hosts aren’t so efficient with multiple instances so that could be a major issue depending on which host you use.

It’s hard to criticise VADrum for just over a fiver though :-)