Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SessionBand app - flash sale

All of the SessionBand apps seem to be on sale for $1 at the moment for a "flash sale."

Comments

• More info here with iTunes links for their various apps: http://www.sessionbandapp.com/

They also have an iPhone app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id579320219?mt=8

• edited May 2014

Own them all already.
    I also own Chordbot, which is much more versatile, at the cost of the sounds not being recorded but generated.
    I'd really wish there was an app merging the pros of both. Oh well :)

• @Viabcroce said:

Own them all already.
    I also own Chordbot, which is much more versatile, at the cost of the sounds not being recorded but generated.
    I'd really wish there was an app merging the cons of both. Oh well :)

It's called Band-in-a-box.

For iOS I was looking at MidiBand and it's ability to use Yamaha style files (lots of free ones out there), but never took the plunge to try it out. Seems like it could be a good alternative to SessionBand if you want the ability to midi-out to other devices. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/midiband/id682735484?mt=8

• edited May 2014

I've fiddled with Midiband. Actually, it's pretty cool. It's an arranger app that tracks chords in realtime for performance; hence the STY files.

The truth is, I find these types of software realtime arrangers very frustrating compared to hardware ones, which are very easy to use. Also, there's the mapping of General Midi (GM) files which complicates things (if GM is your thing). Having said that, it works fine, although it's rather simple with a simplified user interface. Fun as hell though....really : ) . BTW, if you want General Midi, there's a cheap iOS app called Wavesynth, which is a GM synth, which works ok. I use Bismark with Sound fonts freely available on the Web. (Timbres Of Heaven, is an extremely good GM sf2 file. Also Fluid is good.)

BTW, I've been using BIAB for years and it's extremely useful, however it's not a 'realtime arranger' (tracking chords changes in realtime), but is a fantastic backing app. As a matter of fact, when using high quality samples in Kontakt (like NI Colossus), it sounds almost perfect, when combined with Realtracks.

• @Viabcroce said:

Own them all already.
    I'd really wish there was an app merging the pros of both. Oh well :)

But if you already have both & can stack them in Input, what would be the difference?

• Thanks for the tip on Chordbot - I missed that one somehow. As for the SessionBand apps, I like them OK. Editing seems a little kloodgey sometimes, and the UI can be a little fickle, but for a buck you can't go wrong as a practice tool, or potential song-primer.

• edited May 2014

@Coloobar said:
    >

Own it for Win. But sessionband sounds are all actual recorded sounds. This is their strenght and their weakness at the same time

For iOS I was looking at MidiBand

I'll give it a look, thanks.

@Brain said:

But if you already have both & can stack them in Input, what would be the difference?

What do you mean? In Chordbot you have tenths of chords variation for each root to choose from, but sounds are synthetic. In SB sounds are the real deal, but they had to limit the overall amount of chords/memory

@SuperNiCd said:

Thanks for the tip on Chordbot - I missed that one somehow. As for the SessionBand apps, I like them OK. Editing seems a little kloodgey sometimes, and the UI can be a little fickle, but for a buck you can't go wrong as a practice tool, or potential song-primer.

You're welcome! And, basically, you're right. OTOH, I'd be glad to pay more for having real-time recordings of lots more chords and rythms, and bass inversions like in CB.
    Of course I realize how this would be hardly practical LOL

• I can vouch for ChordBot. I also strongly recommend iReal b Pro, which is my goto app for putting down a chord progression and playing it out on many styles of music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• edited May 2014

bought session band jazz vol2 yesterday....

worked on ipad mini2,

but its useless on iphone4....
    stutter / hanging...
    did anyone try this on an iphone4 (3gs/4s?)

i wonder thats not working, cause i see 4 tracks + Metrom, thats not much....
    can run over 10Tracks + FX @Nanostudio or Loopy without any mess....

• @Viabcroce said:

@Coloobar said:
    >

Own it for Win. But sessionband sounds are all actual recorded sounds. This is their strenght and their weakness at the same time

BIAB has actual instrument samples as well.

• Strictly speaking, SessionBand has instrument phrase samples.

• I really would love it if sessionband would do midi files instead of audio to save space and give me the option of changing up instruments ect. Due to size restrictions of all of those large audio files I can only keep one sessionband app loaded on my ipad and then it is over two gigs of space taken up.

• SessionBand is definitely a space hog. But I like that the guitars sound like guitars instead of a guitar patch played on a keyboard.

IReal Pro looks interesting. Had never heard of that one.

• @Tritonman2 The largest SessionBand app takes up 954Mb, according to the Usage page in the settings app. Not sure where you're seeing that 2Gb figure.

• I ended up deleting some of these apps when I was temporarily trying to free room. The basic SessionBand app (iPad version) was 3gb in my usage settings, no joke! I bought the app and started downloading the extra styles IAP and that's when I found out! Great quality though.

• edited May 2014

again:

did anyone try Session Band (jazz Vol2) on an iphone4 (3gs/4s?)

its stutter & hanging, in this version it is useless on iphone4, ipadmini2 worked....

Why sucks this app the resource so much?

• Very strange that we're all seeing different usage figures. I wonder if it copies the base samples into a saved song?

• Very strange indeed. The original app is sitting at 1.5Gb for me ATM. I bought the all in one IAP and have downloaded some, but not all, of the styles.

@obiwahnkentobl - I did not pick up the Jazz flavors of the app, and don't have an iPhone 4s/3gs to try it on. I will say that on an iPad Air, in the original SessionBand app, I will get an occasional hiccup if I program some very fast chord changes, say a change every beat for 4 beats or more. I haven't tested that with every single style... This doesn't seem to occur in other flavors, such as the Blues one.

• i write to the support, still get no answer.....
    ask myself what to hell is using so much CPU/RAM in it? bug?

• Ah, yes, I forgot about style downloads. I undoubtedly passed on a lot of the hip hop type styles. You don't get style downloads in the 'flavoured' SessionBand apps, so their sizes should be consistent, all under or around 900Mb.

• I grabbed four of the apps at a buck each. I'm pretty happy. A lot of really nice tracks to jam with. Seems to grab a lot of CPU resources, though.

• SuperNiCd wrote:
    SessionBand is definitely a space hog. But I like that the guitars sound like guitars instead of a guitar patch played on a keyboard.

IReal Pro looks interesting. Had never heard of that one.

Ireal pro also has tons of free songs you can easily download.