Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Auria 1.150 update is submitted

Comments

• edited May 2014

Was hoping for a big MIDI update, :( ... but I like the updates to the automation.

• edited May 2014

The "big one" is a few months away, was the last thing I read from Rim a week or two ago. But I'm in no hurry there, he/they should take all the time they need, I'm quite sure it's going to be a pretty comprehensive midi sequencer, given that it is Auria after all. :)

The automation copy/paste in this update is definitely going to make life easier, really looking forward to that one!

• Everybody is waiting for the Big MIDI rocket in Auria :)

• @ChrisG said:

The automation copy/paste in this update is definitely going to make life easier, really looking
    forward to that one!

Here, here!

• Couple of months away... :( just the most basic midi implementation right now would do.

• @Digitalresonance said:

Couple of months away... :( just the most basic midi implementation right now would > do.

Rim has been cautious about giving timescales and that is probably prudent. A few months mentioned becomes a couple of months mentioned and then people want it on July 1st!

As it'll be an IAP, I can understand why it should be a good build rather than a 0.9

He has mentioned 'a few months' a couple of times, but as a project manager I'm keeping my expectations in check by seeing that as 4 - 6 months - and even then not expecting it. ;)

• edited May 2014

Sure... I understand what rim is upto. I'm just impatient.lol I have been waiting for the midi ever since he mentioned it over a year ago. He had been working on it for around 6 months at the time. Then at beginning of the year it was a couple of months away...

The problem for me is I can't actually make the music I want to at a professional level. The current state of the apps and some extremely basic features missing make it very difficult to get the sounds and produce them to a high standard. Now this is only a problem for those who make electronic dance music that are used to something like Cubase 7, pro tools etc etc.

This doesn't need to be the case.. The tech is there and has been for a couple of years now. I'm surprised there aren't a few Auria like apps with vst, midi, etc etc already... Instead we have pseudo daws. lol

• I have to say, it's a bit cheeky for MIDI to be an in-app purchase. It's pretty basic functionality for a DAW, surely.

• edited May 2014

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I have to say, it's a bit cheeky for MIDI to be an in-app purchase. It's pretty basic functionality for a DAW, surely.

I dunno. If he spent a year n half writing it then I'm sure he deserves payment for such work.. Of course he does. He has to eat.lol But in a way I hear what your saying as midi should be a part of any daw... But the nature of auria is different and Midi has been an after thought.

But I'm guessing midi is just a small part of the update. I'm sure it will be as good as PC daw midi too.. Probably a drum machine or pads etc maybe a vsti or 2.. It won't but just a basic midi piano roll with just a few cc's lanes. Not after this much development time. And with auria being quite pro as it is becoming.

Mind you what if it is..... Pmsl

• DAW does stand for digital AUDIO workstation though, and that's exactly what it is.

• edited May 2014

@Tarekith said:

DAW does stand for digital AUDIO workstation though, and that's exactly what it is.

True.. But it's also 2014 and apart from nuendo I can't say I know of any Pro Daw without midi? And going way back Cubase one of the first midi sequencers adopted audio track recording 20 years ago. And that was known as one of the first PC Daw's?

• @Peanutcram said:

Everybody is waiting for the Big MIDI rocket in Auria :)

No, some are waiting for the beatmaker 3 mate.

• I'm actually waiting for Ableton Live iOS. Probably be available in about three years for $599, can't wait!

• edited May 2014

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I have to say, it's a bit cheeky for MIDI to be an in-app purchase. It's pretty basic functionality for a DAW, surely.

Think of it as upgrade pricing which is pretty basic way for software companies to keep the lights on!

• edited May 2014

The little bit of experimentation I've done with Auria has impressed me enough to accept the MIDI update as an IAP and not criticize. :)

It's something that's always fascinated me about the iOS musician-world. It seems to have a very strong userbase of guitar players. Because of that, I'm more willing to accept that stuff like Auria isn't inherently MIDI-capable. There are a ton of folks out there using it who won't ever need or care about MIDI. With that said, Auria is a very well-done app, so the combination of these two factors makes it easy to understand its lack of MIDI, and to accept its addition with extra cost. That's my view, anyway.

edit: With that said, any drum app developers that happen to read this post...you don't ever get that leeway from me :P drum apps without MIDI are like peanut butter w/o jelly.

• And for a different perspective, I hardly ever use midi. I'm quite happy it'll be an IAP so I can just skip it and keep my Auria experience pure.

• I am happy if my money gets to right people. Rim is one of them.

• I don't know... I'm a bit on the fence regarding MIDI being an IAP. On one hand, like has been said, it's taking some work to get MIDI in, and some users just don't need it, and Rim's gotta eat, so charging separately may seem appropriate. But on the other hand, yeah, MIDI should maybe have been in from the start, and most any other DAW in existence has pretty comprehensive MIDI support. And as for Rim getting paid for the work, it's not like the only MIDI buyers would be current Auria users... in fact it's safe to say there are countless potential Auria buyers who have previously passed on it due to the lack of MIDI, but will now happily drop their $50 for it with MIDI on board... which will add up to quite a paycheck for his efforts. But if he charges, especially some hefty price as per everything else Auria IAP, then new potential Auria buyers may still yet be put off because then it's $50 + $XX, to have what they can pretty much get elsewhere for less.

Tough call, but if he does in fact charge for it, I think it should be a reasonable $5-10.

• edited May 2014

First DAW was Protools (Soundtools at the time) and was without midi (Cubase was only midi at the time) and add midi capability only a few years after (when Cubase add Audio)....same story for Digital Performer.

For me Auria is Protools for iOS :-)

• I am more than happy to pay for Midi in Auria as an IAP - bring it on!

Will also happily part with cash for FabFilter's One and Twin 2 as plugins - I am 99% sure it will happen but this is based on nothing more than gut feeling ;-)

• I could understand having a gripe about having to pay extra for functionality that was in the description of the app when you bought it, but if it's a completely new feature that a developer has lost sleep over and worked on for what is clearly months on end...I mean, I'd be pissed if someone suggested I should work for free.

• And who wouldn't be? But as @Omnilimbo suggested, keeping at $50 will entice new sales for the functionality which is his payment. It's pretty much a damned if you do, damed if you don't situation. Though I have a feeling he'll be fine either way.

• edited May 2014

IAP is the only way, outside of releasing a completely separate app, for a company to make some revenue. Auria has never been advertised and sold as anything else but what's in the app description (a DAW).

In desktop/laptop land, an existing customer usually gets an upgrade path to every new version of a DAW (or whatever software we're talking about). But it's impossible to have a system like that on Apples AppStore.

At some point, Wavemachine Labs has to do something to keep the margins up so to speak. How many years of free updates do you guys expect from a company/dev? Would you rather pay hundreds of tiny $0.99 IAP transactions to keep track of for every new little feature that's been added, and will keep getting added? It's either that, or drawing the line somewhere and make one bigger IAP for one big update (or releasing a completely new app).

• edited May 2014

@ChrisG said:

IAP is the only way, outside of releasing a completely separate app, for a company to make some revenue.

I don't think this is totally true. He would bring in more revenue from new sales made by people enticed by the new features. Those same projected new users might not bite at $50 plus $20 for the function they really want. But of course it'd be great to get some money from updating existing users purchase. That's why I think he's a little screwed either way. I'd happily pay for an IAP because I'm an existing customer who would be glad to support an awesome developer. But new users might not feel that way.

Upgrade pricing to me seems like the fairest solution. Kind of surprised Apple doesn't allow it.

• The word "IAP" got a bad rep for sure. Mostly thanks to the game devs out there. Yes, there is obviously a growing user base, but at some point that starts to stagnate, and new ways to gain revenue is needed. Just like in desktop land. Or even in things like the game-consoles market, to take things a bit further, where things are getting flooded with all kinds of IAPs (although the term there is different), proprietary peripherals and so on. Until a new console is needed again to gain new revenue. Far fetched example perhaps, but at the end of the day it's the same dealio.

• Cubase 7.0 users have pay 100€ for update to 7.5....

• edited May 2014

I do agree that at some point there will need to be an upgrade price, either by Apple making possible upgrade fees, or by an IAP.... but I do not feel that MIDI functionality should be the point at which that happens.

Trying to think about it as unbiasedly as possible, I honestly think WML would make more money from new sales of Auria w/MIDI included than he would from a MIDI IAP to current users. It seems the majority of current users are fine without MIDI, because they likely bought Auria without need for MIDI... those guys, the majority won't be buying the MIDI IAP, whereas all the guys who have been waiting for MIDI before jumping in are looking for MIDI mostly, so will say, hey, $50+~$10-20 for Auri or $50 flat for Cubasis. Cubasis will win the majority of those newcomers. @Cswinn is hitting the point squarely on the head.

• I support Auria and plan on purchasing the midi (wirhin reason) even though i don't midi much, I like to work with audio files.

• I use Auria as a ProTools style DAW too, though I'm happy to pay an upgrade or IAP to support such awesome software.

• @OmnilimbO just because we early adopters bought Auria without MIDI doesn't mean we don't want or need MIDI. I am also on the fence with an IAP for MIDI especially as Auria has cost me around £500 so far including almost every plugin. I do want it though and will pay for it unless it's some ridiculous amount. Meanwhile of course I am about to get it as a free update in Cubasis.