Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Washes

McDMcD
edited June 2021 in Creations

Inspired by @sclurbs album of music, I have been digging into ways to use AUM more effectively. Today, I dug into how to use "sync to bar" to build a precise loop of a given length.

The I use that loop as accompaniment for another performance that generates a new composite loop and keep repeating.

Then at the end I stand up 2-3 loops and for one of them I double the loop length which slows the playback down by 1/2 (pitch shooting down an octave) and for another I use 1/2 of the usual length taking it up an octave and play back all three at once. With an extra step the start could be offset easily by starting a recording at the mid-point, etc.

Anyway, I get a nice overall recording and in this case I was aiming for a "wash" effect similar to the way a watercolor painter will add water to a color and let the color bleed out across the canvas for an impressionistic effect that has no sharp edges.

Comments

• Very cinematic.

Quite different from your more chilled pieces.

Thank you for sharing.

• I like this!!!!! Very cool!!!

• @Gravitas @onerez thanks for the feedback.

• And another using similar workflow but with a strong cello lead.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4hxWrhjUwBnTRn7WA

• Do you trim the loops so AUM’s sync doesn’t get confused? This is the part that I have yet to master.

• That sounds really awesome. I'd love to see a video of how it's all set up and being done.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Do you trim the loops so AUM’s sync doesn’t get confused? This is the part that I have yet to master.

I set sync to 1 bar and stop the recording just before beat 1 to terminate the loop. If the new loop shows a useful number of beats, a multiple of 4 for example, I use it as the new file player loop and it will show the number of beats. If I missed the termination I go again. But I suspect trimming with audioshare is a better strategy but with a long loop that awkward looping point can be covered by layering offset loops.

Anyway I’m starting to see the usefulness of doing track bouncing with overdubs in AUM. I’ll keep looking for more technique to improve the final results. It’s 98% playing and a bad performance can/should be rejected for another take.
    I like the flow of it because it’s minimal twiddling of DAW controls and yet it sounds like a mixed composition. I suspect using a fader to give each voice a lane in the stereo image would be a nice tweak.

• Really like those siney whales moaning in the foreground. Feels like this song ends just as the train is picking up speed. Maybe I could resample this and give it an ending?

AUM has its own loop button? Looping is one of the few things I haven't crossed over into doing on the ipad.

• @sclurbs : sync quantum. makes it easy to create perfect loops. Set a loop length, start the transport with your rec channels selected, hit the tape transport rec button, it’ll start on the beat. Hit it any time before the end again, and it’ll automatically drop out of record at the end of the preset bar length, giving you an audio file perfect loop. It’s all here:

• @Svetlovska said:
    @sclurbs : sync quantum. makes it easy to create perfect loops. Set a loop length, start the transport with your rec channels selected, hit the tape transport rec button, it’ll start on the beat. Hit it any time before the end again, and it’ll automatically drop out of record at the end of the preset bar length, giving you an audio file perfect loop. It’s all here:

Instead of pre setting a loop length, does it have a mode where the bpm is set based off the first loop of whatever length I end up making it after I play something out?

• @sclurbs said:
    Really like those siney whales moaning in the foreground. Feels like this song ends just as the train is picking up speed. Maybe I could resample this and give it an ending?

That would be great if you are so inclined.

AUM has its own loop button? Looping is one of the few things I haven't crossed over into doing on the ipad.

I just use "loop" as a repeat function, really. So, as I add more layers each new recording get get longer and longer.

• edited June 2021

@sclurbs: no. You can finangle it a lot between editing the wav in AudioShare, and tweaking the playback speed, but for what you’re suggesting, you’ll have to look to specific looper apps. The forthcoming Loopy Pro looks like it’ll be the best of the lot, none of the current crop are without issues afaik, but Audiokit L7 Looper allows a lot of things - might be worth you checking out - on sale at the moment. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audiokit-l7-auv3-live-looper/id1485507635