Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Am I an idiot? First time user, feel like I understand what to do, nothing works

edited June 2021 in Support and Feedback

Hi, I’ve read the manual front to back multiple times, I was up to 2am last night trying to figure this out. I think what I want to do, which is pretty simple, is doable with Audiobus, but I can’t seem to make heads or tails of the app. I would expect to set an input message, followed by setting the desired output message, but everything I click on seems to be a “trigger”- shouldn’t it be trigger for input, action for output?

All I want to do is have my controller (MidiMix) send out, say, a CC 62 on channel 1 when I slide a slider, then have Audiobus output, say, a CC 73 on channel 2 to my desired app (Korg’s ODYSSEi).

I select my controller on channel 1 as input, ODYSSEI as output on channel 2…

ODYSSEi is set to receive only channel 2 midi, so this works, all the channel 1 input from the controller is being sent to ODYSSEi on channel 2 and its being received.

When I click on the ODYSSEi button in Audiobus, I expect something like “action”, but instead I get another trigger, which is confusing because why would an output have a trigger?

So I manually add the output I want here, CC 73. Doesn’t work, I’m obviously not understanding the flow.
I change the output to MIDILearn…

But still same outcome. How do you set the action? Is what I’m trying to do- take a midi CC from my controller and outputting a different CC to my synth app- doable?
I also don’t understand the icons at the top middle, and I’ve yet to see anything in the manual about them.

Comments

• @briwil said:
    Hi, I’ve read the manual front to back multiple times, I was up to 2am last night trying to figure this out. I think what I want to do, which is pretty simple, is doable with Audiobus, but I can’t seem to make heads or tails of the app. I would expect setting an input message, followed by setting the desired output message, but everything I click on seems to be a “trigger”- shouldn’t it be trigger for input, action for output?

All I want to do is have my controller (MidiMix) send out, say, a CC 1 on channel one when I slide a slider, then have Audiobus output, say, a CC 73 on channel 2 to my desired app (Korg’s ODYSSEi).

I select my controller on channel 1 as input, ODYSSEI as output on channel 2…

ODYSSEi is set to receive only channel 2 midi, so this works, all the channel 1 input from the controller is being sent to ODYSSEi on channel 2 and its being received.

When I click on the ODYSSEi button in Audiobus, I expect something like “action”, but instead I get another trigger, which is confusing because why would an output have a trigger?

So I manually add the output I want here, CC 73. Doesn’t work, I’m obviously not understanding the flow.
    I change the output to MIDILearn…

But still same outcome. How do you set the action? Is what I’m trying to do- take a midi CC from my controller and outputting a different CC to my synth app- doable?
    I also don’t understand the icons at the top middle, and I’ve yet to see anything in the manual about them.

Audiobus doesn't translate CCs. MIDI Learn which is what you are looking at, lets you use incoming MIDI events to trigger actions. You need to use something like Mozaic, Streambyter, MIDIFlow or mfxConvert for translating ccs or other events.

• @briwil : it would be helpful to edit the thread title to something that indicates what you are asking about. For example "how to translate MIDI cc's in Auduobus" or whatever.

• Current thread title is also the title of my autobiography.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @briwil : it would be helpful to edit the thread title to something that indicates what you are asking about. For example "how to translate MIDI cc's in Auduobus" or whatever.

In fairness, I did ask if I was an idiot, which a) was my main concern, and b) turns out to be “yes”.

• edited June 2021

@briwil said

Those icons let you switch between apps, with a near-full-screen view. They may also offer some app controls, if the app provides them. If you switch to an IAA app, you can pull a version of those icons in from the right, allowing a seamless switch back to Audiobus.

Edit: It's called the "Connection Panel" in the Audiobus manual.