Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Say what? Loopy, impaktor, Ampkit session

Just thought I share this as I'm really proud of my ios busking rig ;)

Comments

• Yay! Cool Tune

• edited May 2014

Cheers guys. I'm making a point of everyday sitting at my rig and basically impro-composing a track or two. I used to sit down and actually write songs but this is way more fun albeit with the restriction of the loop. This song is rather bluesy but I really want to get down to dub/reggae and tribal/electro route. Also want to start including my melodica and ukulele into this set up and maybe a harmonica. I'll post a video every now and then.

• Please do! I enjoy watching loops come together for performing over. Do you make setting up the loops part of your show?

• Yeah man, that's the part the audience loves best! I'd hate them to think I'm playing with ready made loops. Sorry, I'm a bit of a purist ;). Here's another one I made yesterday. Sorry if it's a bit rough around the edges.

• Really nice, thanks! If you got a minute, could you tell us more about your rig? I don't know what the gear mounted over the top of the iPad is. And is the tin thing near your foot what you use for Impaktor?

Cheers,

• Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Great busking set up. In the second video what are using to trigger Imaktor? I've never got anything like the tapping to triggering thing going that you're managing.

• Pretty cool stuff! Excellent slow groove.

• edited May 2014

Cheers. Now it feels so easy and straight forward but I remember 3 months ago I was still struggling with irig using the internal audio card and akai mpk mini for synths sounds. It was ok but in those days I had to loop vocals on a separate looping pedal (rc-2) and it was never good for anything rhythmical as it went out of sync with loopy pretty fast. Now I'm slowly getting there but I'm still not happy with the bass (guitar through ampkits octaver effect) which sounds very muddy. Next time I'm gonna try with sunrizer synth for bass, that should sound much nicer, will have to trigger it from the screen though, which is a bit of a shame.

The rig:

Hardware: soundlab g105aa 4 channel battery powered line mixer with mono out going into one RCA input of behringer uca 202 and the pan/wooden bowl with a contact piezo pickup goes into the other (I found that metal is better than wood at triggering Impaktor as it is more responsive but also because wood doesn't seem to have the right kind of resonance). I have a mic and guitar or whatever needed (ukulele, melodica, am radio) going into the mixer. Then I use irig blueboard to record and mute loopy loops through bluetooth bindings which works very well once you understand what is absolutely crucial, namely starting loopy at the beginning of Impaktor's bar and in time otherwise things can go very unmusical.

I'm still having issues with Impaktor which has no midi of any kind and has a very brief stutter when changing from it to other apps but not the other way around. So I normally make a basic beat on it first, then it stutters when I go to loopy but I only start loopy after that so it doesn't matter that much. I don't go back to impaktor unless I want a percussive blast at the end of the song which works out pretty well.

I recently started audio capturing my performances on loopy's own recorder and impaktor's built in recorder and then mixing them together in a DAW. It doesn't sound amazing but it has it's charm. I have it saved as an Audiobus preset but none of the apps have state saving so it's more of a reminder of what goes where.

Here's the software screenshot.

Edit: the amp is roland micro cube going into a car amp with a 10" car subwoofer for those tasty bass frequencies that impaktor loves. The car amp is powered off a leisure golf trolley battery I got off ebay. I'm planing to change micro cube's speaker with a full range one as the original one is pretty bad.

• Metal! Who would have thought. I'm off to experiment. Thanks!

• @Fitz said:

Metal! Who would have thought. I'm off to experiment. Thanks!

A saucepan is your best friend! ;)

• Thanks for the detailed explanation!

• From one Impaktor trigger guy to another, nice stuff! ;)

• Yeah man. Also beepstreet are working on Impaktor 2 and it may be coming out in 2014! I know it is a broad release date but It's better not be overly optimistic. ;)

• Nice, impaktor is a fine app. Ill keep an eye out. Thanks

• Since there's enough looping thread here I ask this question here first before starting the whole new thread. Do you know if there's any way to start/stop loopy via bluetooth command? I can't see it amongst the bindings!

• Finally checked this out. Nice stuff! You'd make a killing busking in Austin, Texas with that style.

I swear I'm goin' out busking soon on just the Star Trek Vulcan Harp.

• @CalCutta Is that where you're from? I'm only posting these videos to show how far I've gone with creating my set up. They're totally unprepared but hoping things will get more spontaneous once I've got to know my rig well etc. Ideally I'm after more electro-Afro- dubby kind of sound, maybe some Fat Freddy's Drop. I really want to showcase the impaktor but also love synths etc. unfortunately can't do much midi because my audio interface stole the lightning port from akai mpk mini. It is a bit of a bitch. I'm also trying to incorporate effectrix somewhere in the pipeline but noticed it introduces more latency even if AB latency is at a reasonable 256. Anyhow, work in progress.

• @supadom said:

Yeah man, that's the part the audience loves best! I'd hate them to think I'm playing with ready made loops. Sorry, I'm a bit of a purist ;). Here's another one I made yesterday. Sorry if it's a bit rough around the edges.

>

Purist, nothing - that's exactly the sort of thing I would incorporate into a live show using all this neat iOS stuff!

• edited May 2014

@superdom, finally had play with the pans, and it works a treat. Thanks for that. Managed to get some real bass tones out of impaktor. I'm wondering if the thicker the metal the more bass? Might try thinner and check. Also ceramics?

• @CalCutta said:

Finally checked this out. Nice stuff! You'd make a killing busking in Austin, Texas with that style.

I swear I'm goin' out busking soon on just the Star Trek Vulcan Harp.

I checked out the arp. You'll probably have more success carving one out of a piece of wood. Well more impressive ;)

• Fat Freddy's Drop is awesome! Your ideal goal for your sound on that setup sounds great!!! You should also get that Bristol/Carnival vibe goin' :D

I've lived in Austin now for about 14 years. I'm originally from Oregon. hehehe It's funny, I'd be more impressed with myself with a homemade harp, but I swear that kind of nerdy gimmick like the Vulcan Harp would totally go over here!

• You should give that carve job a go. This should give you some inspiration. Yours truly on bass.