Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How did people record music before DAWs and visual timelines?

124»

Comments

• @richardyot @jolico while not self contained, you can use Xequence and it will start at “any point” in AUM, and it can even be used to trigger audio files…now I’m not sure how it would work if you wanted to be in the middle of an audio file. ‘*puts pencil behind ear, goes back to desk

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    ...at the beginning of the “bedroom producer” era.

I’m just trying to visualize when this era began. I’m gonna say, late 70’s early 80’s?

@Crawlingwind said:
    How about that moment when you and your friends sat there in silence, while the tape rewound, before you could hear your stoned masterpiece.

These kids don’t know anything about all that. How about the deer in the headlights look you’d get when you ask them to play the second song on the tape.

• Still have my mark iii Tascam 424 I got in 2000, and often record down onto it (42 y/o here). I have never done a single second of recording on a digital device until Ingot into iOS music making in the last few years. I remember recording music onto DAT at my friend’s house in 1999 on Cubasis for Mac but he did all the engineering! I’ve always been around it, but never learned any of it myself. Funnily enough AUM has always made the most sense to me over linear “timeline” recording.

• @klownshed said:
    I used to use a Fostex R8 Reel to Reel for audio tracks, which I had synced to my Mac running (at first) Opcode Vision then the first version of Emagic Notator Logic (What became of that?) so even before DAWs existed there was the famous Logic arrange window timeline. I had an Opcode Studio 4 MIDI interface with SMPTE sync to stripe the tape and sync the tape to MIDI.

One of the main reasons I switched to Logic in the early 90s was that it could control my R8's transport directly with Fostex's own proprietary format. I've just checked, and this feature still exists today in LPX 10.5! This meant I could start playback anywhere and the tape would wind to the correct place automatically and it all worked flawlessly. You could even remote record arm the R8s tracks via Logic and that feature still exists in logic today too (a weird hack whereby you had to select the MMC/Tape machine icon for it to work -- it's still there, you have to hold down the option key to find it today though as it's hidden by default).

I've recently-ish re-discovered the R8 when helping to clear out my Mum's loft. I've also found a bunch of reels.

Next step is to see if the tapes have held up well enough to transfer to digital. I'll need to find some way of syncing the tape to logic as the studio 4 never made it to OS-X land.

We didn't need a timeline though as the songs were all worked out in advance the old fashioned way by writing them with guitars and piano. The structures were fixed before a single note was recorded.

I used to record the vocals and guitars to tape and run all the other backing tracks including drums played via MIDI from the sequencer all of which was run into the mixer -- the final mix was automated by moving faders using actual hands (!) and recorded to cassette or later on, DAT.

I had one reverb, one compressor and one multi-fx box (Boss SE-70). My sampler was an Ensoniq EPS 16 Plus which had built in fx (which were and still are fantastic sounding).

Listening back to some of the stuff I did, it sounds raw and 'bedroom' ey but in some ways the mixes were better than I manage these days in-the-box. Having a permanently set up studio with nice monitors didn't hurt though. I've never been great at mixing on headphones which I have to do these days. In hindsight, having to use fx sparingly probably helped me mix :-)

One day I'll plug it all in again and sound like 1996 all over again.

However, from when I started, the progression from MIDI only to full-on DAWs was remarkably quick. It wasn't too many years after I first started using the R8 that I had a MOTU 2408 audio interface in a blue and white G3 Mac.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying out the R8 again... I hope it still works!

I still have my SE-70 and it still sounds great.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    You were less concerned with things like a timeline or grid because you weren't chopping things up and moving things around so much. You just recorded a linear track from start to finish. If you made a mistake, you could punch in, but that was about it.

The bigger concern was lack of tracks! You had to plan things out and record in a certain order and (in a 4-track system) bounce 3 tracks onto the 4th track possibly adding an additional live track at the same time. All of which led to a degradation of sound by generations and forced you to commit to certain steps a long the way or locked you into certain directions.

I bought one of these things during my “confused era” (around 2000), when I guess I was thinking that I wanted to get away from the PC and become “Dawless”. Of course that catch phrase hadn’t been born yet, but we all knew what it was...

But yeah, talking about bouncing tracks and punching in & out... this thing made it all a huge nightmare (to me) I never liked using this thing at all. Anyone want it? I’d be willing to let it go cheap!

• How could I forget, I also still have my Akai DPS-16 that cost me £1200 back in 2001 (twelve monthly payments of £100!), and now barely worth a tenth of that (damn SCSI!)

• @jolico said:

I still have mine too. I sold some stuff back in the day such as my 32 channel mixer but kept most of it.

Stuff I’m looking forward to using again one day includes:

Enaoniq EPS 16 Plus
    Korg Z1
    Korg Proohecy
    Akai CD 3000
    Casio CZ 3000
    SE-70
    Alesis 3630
    TL Audio tube pre/compressor
    Old school ART Multiverb LT FOR 80s reverb
    303 clone rack thing

I also have a few ROMplers like a proteus and some Roland racks that were cheap as chips back in the day. And more stuff I can’t remember :-)

I’m sure there are some things that won’t work.

I’ve fired up the ensoniq and it works even though the SCSI and ROM expansions died. I added a floppy emulator as I lost all my old disks. So it’s like a new sampler with a new library to build. Slowly. The floppy emulator runs at floppy speeds and is sooooo slooooow! Fun though.

So yeah. Looking forward to using some of this pre DAW stuff again. I have a few new bits too like a Circuit ministration, behringer pro-1 and drumbrute impact.

I just need some of the pre-DAW disposable time I also had!

• @klownshed said:

@jolico said:

I still have mine too. I sold some stuff back in the day such as my 32 channel mixer but kept most of it.

Stuff I’m looking forward to using again one day includes:

Enaoniq EPS 16 Plus
    Korg Z1
    Korg Proohecy
    Akai CD 3000
    Casio CZ 3000
    SE-70
    Alesis 3630
    TL Audio tube pre/compressor
    Old school ART Multiverb LT FOR 80s reverb
    303 clone rack thing

I also have a few ROMplers like a proteus and some Roland racks that were cheap as chips back in the day. And more stuff I can’t remember :-)

I’m sure there are some things that won’t work.

I’ve fired up the ensoniq and it works even though the SCSI and ROM expansions died. I added a floppy emulator as I lost all my old disks. So it’s like a new sampler with a new library to build. Slowly. The floppy emulator runs at floppy speeds and is sooooo slooooow! Fun though.

So yeah. Looking forward to using some of this pre DAW stuff again. I have a few new bits too like a Circuit ministration, behringer pro-1 and drumbrute impact.

I just need some of the pre-DAW disposable time I also had!

303 clone rack?
    I have a Syntechno TeeBee mkIII with built-in midi merger and midi to CV/Gate converters.
    The ring-mod died 2 years ago.

I used to have a Prophecy, but I swapped it for an SH-101. No regrets.

• @jolico said:

303 clone rack?

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/freebass383.php

I have a Syntechno TeeBee mkIII with built-in midi merger and midi to CV/Gate converters.
    The ring-mod died 2 years ago.

I used to have a Prophecy, but I swapped it for an SH-101. No regrets.

Not a bad swap… the prophecy is still pretty cool though.

I might put the behringer 101 clone on my Xmas list. :-)

• 🤮
    Friends don’t let friends get behringers.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    You were less concerned with things like a timeline or grid because you weren't chopping things up and moving things around so much. You just recorded a linear track from start to finish. If you made a mistake, you could punch in, but that was about it.

The bigger concern was lack of tracks! You had to plan things out and record in a certain order and (in a 4-track system) bounce 3 tracks onto the 4th track possibly adding an additional live track at the same time. All of which led to a degradation of sound by generations and forced you to commit to certain steps a long the way or locked you into certain directions.

I bought one of these things during my “confused era” (around 2000), when I guess I was thinking that I wanted to get away from the PC and become “Dawless”. Of course that catch phrase hadn’t been born yet, but we all knew what it was...

But yeah, talking about bouncing tracks and punching in & out... this thing made it all a huge nightmare (to me) I never liked using this thing at all. Anyone want it? I’d be willing to let it go cheap!

As I recall, those things had some cool built-in effects and drum sounds at least!

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

As I recall, those things had some cool built-in effects and drum sounds at least!

It did. I used it a couple times for a vocal effect box when we playing out. I guess it was useful for a couple things, but trying to use it for production purposes wasn’t happening.

• @jolico said:
    🤮

Idk, a friend recommended the Deepmind 12, so I bought one. Had it for about two years now and couldn’t be happier! (Well, I mean I could be happier, with maybe something like a Moog One, or even a Matriarch.) but the DM suits me fine for what I use it for.

• My oldest recording device is an Luxor Magnefon from 1951 - and you record on magnetic wires that is up to 2000 meters long (30 minutes)...

The wire is 0,1mm thick, but the sound is incredible! I have 45 different rolls with recordings from early 1951 to 1961...

Great stuff! It also plays stonecakes (78rpm) and play radio...

It weighs 80kg and made in mahogny...

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0geUrfgXBbZNLdQ2wxNA-ak2w

• @Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:
    🤮

Idk, a friend recommended the Deepmind 12, so I bought one. Had it for about two years now and couldn’t be happier! (Well, I mean I could be happier, with maybe something like a Moog One, or even a Matriarch.) but the DM suits me fine for what I use it for.

Did it come with a free fire extinguisher?

Sorry, but whenever anyone says anything good about behringer, I can’t believe that they’re serious.
    It’s like the villains have won and it’s ok to support them now.

• @jolico said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:
    🤮

Sorry, but whenever anyone says anything good about behringer, I can’t believe that they’re serious.

Nope, but it did come with a 3 year manufacturer’s warranty.

I wouldn’t do brand loyalty unless a company was endorsing me and sending me products. Until then, I buy what I like, what I can afford, and what I believe will work for what I want to do. I don’t know about their other stuff, but they sure got a lot right with the Deepmind! Like I said I’ve had it two years, no issues, and it’s still amazing every time I use it.

You can believe me (I’m serious!), you don’t have to be a Behringer fanboy to purchase and/or enjoy one of their products. It’s ok, I won’t tell anyone.

• edited May 2021

Thin ice... even if the box is sealed, the rubber parts of the drive mechanic do age ;)
    The problem is well known from nos vinyl player cartridges.
    And electrolytic capacitors may disintegrate if not connected to power over extended periods of time.
    That‘s why vintage guitar amps with unknown history are powered up by fractions of the regular supply at first use to make them „build up“ again.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:
    🤮

I wouldn’t do brand loyalty unless a company was endorsing me and sending me products. Until then, I buy what I like, what I can afford, and what I believe will work for what I want to do. I don’t know about their other stuff, but they sure got a lot right with the Deepmind! Like I said I’ve had it two years, no issues, and it’s still amazing every time I use it.

You can believe me (I’m serious!), you don’t have to be a Behringer fanboy to purchase and/or enjoy one of their products. It’s ok, I won’t tell anyone.

Their stuff is actually pretty good considering the price. I have a Crave and a Neutron, and am happy with both.

• You would leave it unopened wouldn't you? 'cos you know once the box was opened the depreciation would be huge. It would just sit in the corner of the room mocking me until I would have to put it in a cupboard somewhere for another 18 years or just resell on eBay --- Now, that's a nice idea.

• My first multi tracking experience came with my first girlfriend back in the mid-70s. I was about 16; she was 14. She had figured out how to hook up her father’s two cassette players together and bounce tracks from one to the other. She would sing and play guitar until she had a track. Cool chick.

• edited May 2021

@jolico said:
    🤮

Honestly I don’t get the hate. They’re not my go to company for most things, but somethings they are.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@jolico said:
    🤮

Honestly I don’t get the hate. They’re not my go to company for most things, but somethings they are.

• Doesn’t really change anything. Big corporate guy is a dick. Nothing new here.
    I’m not pro behringer, nor anti behringer.
    I’m also not paying 600$ for a patch bay when his functions just fine for 50$

What about the other companies that use his stuff? Elektron is riddled with coolaudio analog SoC’s for example.

If the above video really grind your gears, hit me up when you see the DAW they are releasing lol.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Doesn’t really change anything. Big corporate guy is a dick. Nothing new here.
    I’m not pro behringer, nor anti behringer.
    I’m also not paying 600$ for a patch bay when his functions just fine for 50$

What about the other companies that use his stuff? Elektron is riddled with coolaudio analog SoC’s for example.

If the above video really grind your gears, hit me up when you see the DAW they are releasing lol.

AUMbase?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@jolico said:
    🤮

I have a surprising bit of Behringer gear and all of it ALL of it is working, doesn't catch on fire, hasn't broken or any of that other hyperbole. Now, granted, the company has developed alot and is making stuff better than they used to. It's a company that employs people and those people eat and they pay taxes, etc.

I do feel a bit different about this than I used to but even I can change. I still want a Moog Matriarch and a Waldorf Quantum but neither of those are bloody likely.