Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 praise.... I spoke to soon

2»

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:

@FPC said:
    I wouldn't necessarily blame Cubasis for Agonizer misbehaving. I find this app very unstable; it'll lose its settings/change things mid-song for me.

I’ve also had issues with Agonizer as AUv3, hanging notes and crashing projects (using LK) in AUM. Crunchy audio in IAA use too

Thanks for the info, @Littlewoodg!
    Please make sure to let the app vendor know about it, to check if he can resolve the problems!

Best
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FPC said:
    I wouldn't necessarily blame Cubasis for Agonizer misbehaving. I find this app very unstable; it'll lose its settings/change things mid-song for me.

I’ve also had issues with Agonizer as AUv3, hanging notes and crashing projects (using LK) in AUM. Crunchy audio in IAA use too

Thanks for the info, @Littlewoodg!
    Please make sure to let the app vendor know about it, to check if he can resolve the problems!

Best
    Lars

Will do, thanks Lars

• It's strange for me to hear the OP (and others) saying how stable CB2 was. My experience was exactly the opposite. I had all sorts of problems, the one that nearly drove me mad was timing. Sometimes I couldn't even get a 2 or 4 bar loop to play in time when it was looped. It would just drift off...
    No such issues in CB3. Crashes are rare and performance on my Air3 is impressive. When you factor in all the improvements since the release of C3 I couldn't be happier.

• @LFS said:

@eross said:
    @LFS still have the same audio quality issues as the last version of cubasis had. in regards to bluetooth headphones. regardless of the studio quality/ bluetooth setting being engaged.
    i have the latest ios , iphone 8plus, with apple airpods pro.

Hi @eross,

Please use the following steps to use Cubasis 3 with the AirPods Pro:

• Please connect your AirPods Pro to the iPad
    • Launch Cubasis and go to Setup/Audio and enable “Bluetooth / AirPlay” by tapping the corresponding button

If the problem persists, please go to Setup/Project and choose (or reselect) the matching sample rate of your project.

Best
    Lars

thanks, changing the sample rate seems to be working so far.
    no i’m trying to get SparkVerb Au to work in cubasis. when i engage it in a track. it mutes all audio. i can see audio coming into sparkverb on the input meter, but nothing comes out. might be a sparkverb issue?

• edited May 2021

Agree with @FPC, I had mixdown and freezing issues with CB2 I could not resolve. CB3 is perfect in that respect. Like all product issues, forums mostly hear from those with problems. While I sympathize, those users are a minority, I think. Satisfied users with Cubasis, are, IMO, the silent majority.

Once I learned a couple of tricks, I have no problems at all with CB3. I freeze a bit more than I would like, but it’s no biggie and I find the platform 99% stable. It does shut down infrequently, but a reboot takes only a few seconds and nothing is ever lost.

Approaching 27 albums, made solely with Cubasis, in three years. The only production deficit now is my own lack of skill.
    Thanks @LFS to you and the team for making my new creative journey possible. It is obvious you are all committed to making Cubasis the most feature complete DAW on iOS and have an eye toward the future of iPad music production. Kudos! 🥳👍😎😻

• After spending a lot of time in AUM (which is brilliant) I find myself once again seeking a more structured setup, at least for a while. That means returning to Cubasis 2.8 (also a brilliant product). I did have Cubasis 3 in my sights but not so sure now....

@Lars when is Steinberg likely to pull the plug on Cubasis 2 (i.e. no further maintenance updates)? Or has that already happened?

• @wired2moon said:
    After spending a lot of time in AUM (which is brilliant) I find myself once again seeking a more structured setup, at least for a while. That means returning to Cubasis 2.8 (also a brilliant product). I did have Cubasis 3 in my sights but not so sure now....

@Lars when is Steinberg likely to pull the plug on Cubasis 2 (i.e. no further maintenance updates)? Or has that already happened?

I’m pretty sure that ship has sailed, hence Cubasis 3.

• @mtenk said:

@wired2moon said:
    After spending a lot of time in AUM (which is brilliant) I find myself once again seeking a more structured setup, at least for a while. That means returning to Cubasis 2.8 (also a brilliant product). I did have Cubasis 3 in my sights but not so sure now....

Please no. Sometimes previous versions are maintained until new versions are proven stable. Maybe I’m dreaming but good to hear from Lars to be certain

• @mtenk said:

@wired2moon said:

They have done two updates to CB2 in the last 6 months, so perhaps not yet

• @Obo said:

@mtenk said:

@wired2moon said:

Interesting 🧐

• @mtenk said:

@Obo said:

@mtenk said:

@wired2moon said:

Interesting 🧐

Thought so too, I guess they’re really not trying to force folks to jump ship to the next big thing!

• @linearlineman @thesoundtestroom
    And probably a dozen more indicate you can produce music with Cubasis... I can create some real crap with AUM in just 10 minutes without any problems at all but some people don’t want to put their name on crap... I have lower standards and Cubasis always slows me down.

I’m into agile crap production.

• I love the new updates but personally the latest version is definitely less stable than the previous. I’m running 13.7 on a 2020 12.9 inch IPad Pro and it’s crashed more in the last 2 days than the last one did or the previous ones have in months. I don’t remember the last time it crashed on me but it’s definitely crashed more since upgrading. Even rebooted and still had 4 or 5 crashes today and several yesterday.

• The new midi implementation is going to be great once the kinks are worked out. Two specific issues so far…
    Midi effects do not appear to be receiving cc data. The only data passed to midi effects are notes and pitch bend.
    AUM does not appear as a midi input source even when cb3 is loaded into AUM and midi is explicitly routed to cb3.
    Thanks!

• @boomer said:
    The new midi implementation is going to be great once the kinks are worked out. Two specific issues so far…
    Midi effects do not appear to be receiving cc data. The only data passed to midi effects are notes and pitch bend.
    AUM does not appear as a midi input source even when cb3 is loaded into AUM and midi is explicitly routed to cb3.
    Thanks!

AUM doesnt expose its MIDI output port...so you won't see AUM as a MIDI source in any app. if you route MIDI from AUM to Cubasis, Cubasis should receive it. if cubasis doesn't that would probably be a problem on its side. if cubasis can only receive MIDI from exposed virtual midi ports, you could route from aum to audiobus or midifire and have those apps thru their input ports to their r output ports.

• @McD said:
    @linearlineman @thesoundtestroom
    And probably a dozen more indicate you can produce music with Cubasis... I can create some real crap with AUM in just 10 minutes without any problems at all but some people don’t want to put their name on crap... I have lower standards and Cubasis always slows me down.

I’m into agile crap production.

Release a new version of the same old song every two weeks to keep the customers confused and thinking that they’re happy.

• edited May 2021

I found the older thread again where @LFS explained some details of the multi-core rendering and good practices for the settings. I hope they are still valid for 3.3

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42746

• edited May 2021

No time signatures mixing ,(odd meter bars here and there), no Cubasis.

• I wasn’t a beta tester this time around so was really curious to see what the new updates would be. Multibus out, midi learn and side chaining are all very exciting and work very well for me. I’ve had serious problems with Cubasis 3 but since the last update I’ve found it very stable on my iPad 2017 5th gen. As long as I don’t ask it to handle too many AUV3’s all at once it’s very good. It does as good a job if not slightly better than C2 with AUV3’s though now to be fair. If I’m working on a track that is mostly real instruments it’s absolutely amazing. For synth heavy stuff it can be hard work and frustrating. There are still some kinks and I do get a lot of hanging midi notes which is a bit tedious because my keyboard playing is bad enough anyway. The lack of upgrade path to a new app that wasn’t as good as the old app at the time of release was a huge mistake and totally unfair but I can tell you that Steinberg are working very hard on the app to turn things around. I just wish they’d make it so I can export a mono wav and get a tempo track in there. Whilst I like the new updates, I would have thought they were far more essential to making the daw a professional experience. I mean, when I do a bass session I can’t send the customer a stereo bass wav. That’s just pants. So in other words, I can’t use Cubasis 3 for a pro job. I’ve successfully recorded a lot of tunes with it though. There’s no perfect platform for recording music on iOS devices yet. You kind of have to work with it and get used to the flaws and workarounds.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    I wasn’t a beta tester this time around so was really curious to see what the new updates would be. Multibus out, midi learn and side chaining are all very exciting and work very well for me. I’ve had serious problems with Cubasis 3 but since the last update I’ve found it very stable on my iPad 2017 5th gen. As long as I don’t ask it to handle too many AUV3’s all at once it’s very good. It does as good a job if not slightly better than C2 with AUV3’s though now to be fair. If I’m working on a track that is mostly real instruments it’s absolutely amazing. For synth heavy stuff it can be hard work and frustrating. There are still some kinks and I do get a lot of hanging midi notes which is a bit tedious because my keyboard playing is bad enough anyway. The lack of upgrade path to a new app that wasn’t as good as the old app at the time of release was a huge mistake and totally unfair but I can tell you that Steinberg are working very hard on the app to turn things around. I just wish they’d make it so I can export a mono wav and get a tempo track in there. Whilst I like the new updates, I would have thought they were far more essential to making the daw a professional experience. I mean, when I do a bass session I can’t send the customer a stereo bass wav. That’s just pants. So in other words, I can’t use Cubasis 3 for a pro job. I’ve successfully recorded a lot of tunes with it though. There’s no perfect platform for recording music on iOS devices yet. You kind of have to work with it and get used to the flaws and workarounds.

Greetings from not so far up the road just into W Yorks!

If you start with a mono track and render to a stereo file you can then convert that file to mono? Annoying but hardly difficult.

Lack of a tempo track and signature change is a showstopper for some, but the recent update ends various showstoppers for others… at this point I’d hope this is reaching the of the to do list!

• @MadGav said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    I wasn’t a beta tester this time around so was really curious to see what the new updates would be. Multibus out, midi learn and side chaining are all very exciting and work very well for me. I’ve had serious problems with Cubasis 3 but since the last update I’ve found it very stable on my iPad 2017 5th gen. As long as I don’t ask it to handle too many AUV3’s all at once it’s very good. It does as good a job if not slightly better than C2 with AUV3’s though now to be fair. If I’m working on a track that is mostly real instruments it’s absolutely amazing. For synth heavy stuff it can be hard work and frustrating. There are still some kinks and I do get a lot of hanging midi notes which is a bit tedious because my keyboard playing is bad enough anyway. The lack of upgrade path to a new app that wasn’t as good as the old app at the time of release was a huge mistake and totally unfair but I can tell you that Steinberg are working very hard on the app to turn things around. I just wish they’d make it so I can export a mono wav and get a tempo track in there. Whilst I like the new updates, I would have thought they were far more essential to making the daw a professional experience. I mean, when I do a bass session I can’t send the customer a stereo bass wav. That’s just pants. So in other words, I can’t use Cubasis 3 for a pro job. I’ve successfully recorded a lot of tunes with it though. There’s no perfect platform for recording music on iOS devices yet. You kind of have to work with it and get used to the flaws and workarounds.

Greetings from not so far up the road just into W Yorks!

If you start with a mono track and render to a stereo file you can then convert that file to mono? Annoying but hardly difficult.

Lack of a tempo track and signature change is a showstopper for some, but the recent update ends various showstoppers for others… at this point I’d hope this is reaching the of the to do list!

Eyup mate! I do a lot of gigs in West Yorks. Well I did before lockdown. Sure, I can mix it down in stereo and convert it in a different app but I just feel very strongly that Cubasis 3 should be able to do it.