Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneStack PRO by Yonac Inc. - Released

Comments

• @jolico said:
    Unfortunately mix box is only iPadOS

Oh no. Well... DDMF apps are beyond perfect to the upper ranges where they show alias artifacts that are the reason they should like the real deal... even-order harmonic distortion that is a by-product of tube amps and filters. Tubes distort signals is the best possible way.

OS'es are vendor wars. I'd use Linux of there was some great choices there but it's all buggy crap that makes Cubasis 3 look like a life saver. Not that I've tried in 10 years... still. If it was a thing I'd read about it.

• edited May 2021

@McD said:

@mojozart said:
    Seriously? The frequency of concert A is a matter of debate and conspiracy theories:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194106/440-hz-conspiracy-music/

and there are at least 3 different numbering schemes for the octaves. One person's A-2 is another person's A0.

What are we talking about? Oh yeah. Tonestack works with a wide range of instruments.

To summarize... guitars tend to care about frequencies below 5000Hz.
    The A3 v A4 issue is a red herring and off topic.

ToneStack and every other Amp Sim product doesn't reproduce a lot of upper end frequencies... or maybe they do and that's why TH-U kicks the others in their counter-point.

Run Ravenscroft through and Amp Sim and tell me if you want a refund.
    Now... run it through MixBox CS. You should end up playing with the piano for a few hours.

That's the point.o

MixBox CS good for anything.
    Amp Sim's good for guitars.

ToneStack is not just Amp Sims. It's also a collection of guitar pedal effects (which can sound cool with other instruments). But it also has so-called "studio" effects like those in MixBox, and, for use with full-range instruments like piano, there is always the option to select one of the clean amps, or no amp.

• @zah said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I believe the free IR @flo26 posted was one that used to be on the OwnHammer site. They used to have a Mesa 4x12 IR that >>was free. But they removed it some time ago.

Actually, @fol26 posted a link that had well over 2000 free IRs in 4 or 5 folders by some guy. From the few that I checked out, they were not bad though some sounded similar, and I've used a few of them on desktop as I don't have a convo reverb on iOS yet.

FWIW, there is often a huge difference between "not bad" and "very good" or "excellent ". A lot of people that have tried free cab IRs have thought "i don't get why people go on and on about can IRs" until they try an excellent one and realize that they make a huge difference.

• Going on from @Paulo164's question. If a non guitarist has (and likes) mixbox, what does tonestack add? What for example are some cool things you could do with tonestack that you couldn't do with mixbox? And what, if any, failings does it have compared to mixbox? Cheers!

• Not being a guitar player I'm more than happy with MixBox, KLVGR Stark and Gospel Musicians's IFX Rack and a bunch of stand-alone effects apps. (FAC Series, Eventide Stuff, AudioDamage Stuff, Bleass Stuff, TB Stuff etc.).

I do admit it looks kinda 'cool' but I've not 'sold on it' after seeing a bunch of videos featuring it.
    When using Magellan 2 (which has some of the effects) I almost never use the built-in effects.

It will eventually go on sale again so for me there's absolutely no rush to get it...

• @Gavinski said:
    Going on from @Paulo164's question. If a non guitarist has (and likes) mixbox, what does tonestack add? What for example are some cool things you could do with tonestack that you couldn't do with mixbox? And what, if any, failings does it have compared to mixbox? Cheers!

Mixbox is limited to 8 fx
    Tonestack :

• polyphonic pitch sfting
    • parallel fx chain
    • stereo EQ
  • @ttk said:

@Gavinski said:
    Going on from @Paulo164's question. If a non guitarist has (and likes) mixbox, what does tonestack add? What for example are some cool things you could do with tonestack that you couldn't do with mixbox? And what, if any, failings does it have compared to mixbox? Cheers!

Tonestack :

• parallel fx chain
    • stereo EQ

Though actually, I am not too clear on parallel. Mixbox offers insert or send. Could u explain clearly the difference between parallel and send if there is one?

• @Gavinski will you be doing a review on this app ? cant wait to see what your thoughts are

• @Gavinski
    In context of guitars (TS) parallel processing usually means splitting your signal into two (ABY) and process them differently to create bigger/wider sound. This is actual parallel processing.
    In mixing generally - which is what MixBox mainly aimed at imo - parallel compression means the ability to dial in wet / dry amount between compressed and uncompressed audio, to emphasise the effect (allows drastic compression (wet portion) while preserving dynamics (dry portion)). This isn’t actually parallel processing because one ‘side’ is dry... but standalone version of MixBox allows simultaneous access to all 8 slots / allows parallel processing in a way.

• Yes, but as Mixbox is AUv3, can’t we say that parallel processing is possible anyway by running 2 instances that can be mixed then inside ApeMatrix with proper routing ? Also maybe with AUM (I don’t own it).

• @Paulo164 said:
    ...but as Mixbox is AUv3, can’t we say that parallel processing is possible anyway...

You can 😁

• @ttk said:

@Gavinski said:

Tonestack :

• parallel fx chain
    • stereo EQ

Pitch shifting is really good on ToneStack and you’re right, MixBox doesn’t have it. And BLUE FURR !. That’s an awesome pedal. Just try it and tell it doesn’t put a smile on your face.
    Also a wide arrange of fuzzes, also lacking in MixBox.

• Can someone please help me replicate this Tonebridge setup in ToneStackPro.

I really like the sound.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2021

@tahiche said:

@ttk said:

@Gavinski said:

Tonestack :

• parallel fx chain
    • stereo EQ

Pitch shifting is really good on ToneStack and you’re right, MixBox doesn’t have it. And BLUE FURR !. That’s an awesome pedal. Just try it and tell it doesn’t put a smile on your face.
    Also a wide arrange of fuzzes, also lacking in MixBox.

OK... for $20 I'll just get the whole collection and find a good reason later... even if it's just comparing the "FuzzFace" implementations in the major Amp Sims for the benefit of Mr. Kite and a hat tip to the history of hardware:

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/su/cyu6ngbwpulc.png

• So having had this for a week now, I came to some conclusions for myself re Tonestack Pro: While I have been 'spoiled' by the quality of the amps in THU, and Nembrini, as they set a new bar in quality, Tonestack Pro in the effects department is second to none. I use it now I like I use Mixbox--in a chain to enhance the other apps.

There _are _ amps in Tonestack Pro that I like, and I think that with an IR loader the thing is going to kill.

But at first I was not impressed. However, the quality of the Effects in Tonestack Pro really makes it worth the price, and even the full price. It uses very little CPU and I set up whole banks of effects like all the Dirt boxes in a single preset, then just turn on and adjust the one (s) I want and possibly gain stage those, the same with Reverb and Delay and for me as AUV3 this App just kills as an effect app. Then I pick and choose things into effects chains and save them with multiple instances of THU and Tonestack Pro running in AUM and I am pretty amazed sometimes. The effects are phenomenal even compared to others that I had grown used to in THU.

My initial cynicism was unfounded and I was wrong in thinking that this was the "same old Tonestack" in just now in Auv3, because its much more useful in Auv3 and more CPU friendly too it seems. Now I can't wait to see what they add to it :)

• My initial cynicism was unfounded and I was wrong in thinking that this was the "same old Tonestack" in just now in Auv3, because its much more useful in Auv3 and more CPU friendly too it seems. Now I can't wait to see what they add to it :)

You make me glad I spent the extra $20 before they go to actual pricing which will probably
    be 3-5 times the price for everything.

ToneStack Pro on my iPhone loaded with some great practice backing tracks and an iRig HD 2 with headphones will be my "mobile" practice rig. I'll probably velcro the phone and the iRig to the guitar with very short cable runs and use a strap so I can practice while taking long walks on the beach playing surf guitar.

The vision always comes first... then the reality sets in later.

• edited May 2021

@bobbyj8866 said:. It uses very little CPU and I set up whole banks of effects like all the Dirt boxes in a single preset, then just turn on and adjust the one (s) I want and possibly gain stage those, the same with Reverb and Delay and for me as AUV3 this App just kills as an effect app. Then I pick and choose things into effects chains and save them with multiple instances of THU and Tonestack Pro running in AUM and I am pretty amazed sometimes. The effects are phenomenal even compared to others that I had grown used to in THU.

I starting doing exactly this. Making presets with a category of pedals like “fuzzes” on the screenshot here.

I find this method very practical. You can stack different instances of the app each with an effect in a chain like fuzz+Modulation+cab&space. Where you curate your favorite pedals and amps, it’d greatly speed things up when trying out different flavors.

Now this raises a big question...

• When effect pedals or units are bypassed. How much cpu do they consume?. So per the screenshot above, having 20 fuzz pedals but only one engaged. How would that compare to just a single fuzz pedal?.
    • Similarly, how taxing on the cpu is it to use multiple instances vs one effect chain?. Having, say a preset with distorsion+amp+reverb vs having 3 auv3 instances stacked, one distortion, one amp, one reverb...
      I assume in both cases the cpu is gonna increase some... but the actual audio processing would be the same, the diff would come from other “code” stuff like buffer management or whatever that happens per instance.
  • Why won’t you just use Thafknar in the ToneStack chain (remember you can load 2 instances and insert the IR in the middle if you want)…

• I do use Thafknar, but to tell the truth Impulsation and the THU IR loader are good too. You can never have too many IR loaders :)

• Demo to come .
    One week of videos dedicated to tonestack pro.

• @flo26 said:
    Demo to come .

Do some real crazy, esoteric stuff with wild chord progressions! I’d watch that.

• The fun factor with this app is unusually high thanks in large part to its extra friendly interface.

• edited May 2021

@flo26 said:
    Demo to come .

Does that mean you’re giving Tonestack Pro a thumbs up?

• I’ve not tried it yet.
    I’ve just come back from Senegal.

• Just a little addition to this thread... I was on the fence because of the back and forth about does it sound good or doesn't it but I ended up buying the whole thing. And I'm glad I did - I love it! This app is just plain fun! So well laid out; tons of cool amps and effects to play with; haven't encountered a single glitch or annoyance; the 8 track recorder makes the me of 20 years ago weep for all of the money I spent on a much worse 4-track recorder; the great play along practice machine... A great way to indulge my need to turn nobs, noodle, and avoid doing anything to actually become a better guitar player, lol!

• edited May 2021

Hi!
    I LOVE the BLUE FURR pedal. I made a quick and dirty song to showcase it.
    You can hear the original unprocessed guitar at the beginning before the Blue Furr & friends quick in.
    There’s a bass/blue furr thing and a “surf-like” guitar.
    The bass fuzz uses a splitter to blend 2 signals
    1/ Blue Furr doing the octave with added input fuzz. It goes into an amp head to tame it some and to the also excellent and my other favorite Duplicator which expands it and makes it huge.
    2/ A cleaner path, Big Oct pedal + chorus
    In the video I move the A/B knob between the 2 at some point.

Blue Furr is totally in my alley 🤟🤟🤟

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!
    You can hear the original unprocessed guitar at the beginning before the Blue Furr & friends quick in.
    1/ Blue Furr doing the octave with added input fuzz. It goes into an amp head to tame it some and to the also excellent and my other favorite Duplicator which expands it and makes it huge.

👍 Also, the sound is trademark you. :)

• edited May 2021

@ervin said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi!

👍 Also, the sound is trademark you. :)

My alley @ervin !!. 😂
    I was actually a lot more “poppy” before. Seems like with age I’m getting grumpy and more punk. I hadn’t picked up my regular (6 string) guitar in years, literally. Only played 3 string Cigar Guitar, but it actually feels good to be able to strum a chord for a change!.
    I love this pedal. Was close to buying the real one a couple of times, I wish I had.

• Since @flo26 has yet to post any demos of ToneStack Pro since his return, I’m guessing he has been unable to find a decent tone from the stack to share.

I’m out.