Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s your creative process?

2»

Comments

• @Sabicas said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Sabicas said:
    1) determine first chord, usually minor.
    2) work out several chord progressions on guitar, adjust adjust adjust
    3) start using triad chord tones to get an idea of a basic melody, at least enough for a good lick to build a tune around.

-- This part is new, as of my latest composition: --
    4) build everything above in Tune Maker app for organization.
    5) use Tune Maker to write string section or harmonies to the main melody as it's really nice to see the scale and chord tones above each chord.
    -- This part is new, as of my latest composition: --

6) improvise over the above with a stringed instrument to add the good stuff, mostly approach notes, chromatic connections and other accidentals.
    7) record scratch take of everything above
    8) arrange and record other instrumental parts to above.
    9) tweak endlessly, hem and haw
    10) record final takes while simultaneously recording video
    11) mix audio and create multi-tracked video

In my latest composition, steps 1-9 took about a month. Feeling like I'm ready to start on #10 took several weeks. I've currently recorded one of 6 instruments.

Do you find yourself getting faster each time?

I'm on my 3rd composition (using this process) now, but yeah, some things have gotten faster. Bringing in Tune Maker to help keep the big picture in view saved a lot of time. Of course, I had a lot to learn about tracking and video editing the first go-around. I wasn't completely confident my vision would be realized so I have a bit more confidence pushing me forward now.

I should have added a "rehearsal" step between #9 and #10.

I've written many other parts with bands or partial compositions that just were never logged and faded from memory. This is all a recent pandemic-spurred attempt to get organized.

Very good idea! I started to organize the loops I create in Blocs Wave, but then lost interest when I started jamming more. I love to jam with LoopBud, Atom 2, or NS2. I get a 2 bar drum loop going, then 4 bar chords, then bass, then layer something in and continue with variations of the 4 bar chords until I have enough for a basic song structure. Still learning, but listening to Kaidi Tatham is inspiring and a great lesson in arranging!

Great cut from Kaidi:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/0onAJ2tNWIjY5hgeAVPmlF?si=9d-YU_x3St2Wvq_CEaEbLg

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:
    I like looking at images and building boards in Pinterest while making music.

Interesting! So you get a vibe from those images that translates to your sound?

Yah for sure! Making groups of images gives inspiration and context to the music. It is really chocolate and peanut butter for me. I used to look through art books and watch animation while making music when I was younger but now Pinterest is next level amazing for this. I don’t really focus on a particular image for too long, just browse through them ebbing and flowing with the music. I also work on multiple tracks jumping between various ones without fixating too much. Takes the pressure off.

Nice! That’s cool. What’s the most tracks you’ve created together?

I have about fifty on the go in Maschine right now and they are starting to group themselves into three camps.

• @AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

Yah for sure! Making groups of images gives inspiration and context to the music. It is really chocolate and peanut butter for me. I used to look through art books and watch animation while making music when I was younger but now Pinterest is next level amazing for this. I don’t really focus on a particular image for too long, just browse through them ebbing and flowing with the music. I also work on multiple tracks jumping between various ones without fixating too much. Takes the pressure off.

I have about fifty on the go in Maschine right now and they are starting to group themselves into three camps.

Oh wow, that’s awesome 😎
    What style of music do you create?

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

Oh wow, that’s awesome 😎

Hmmmm, Electronic Mutt?

• @AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

Oh wow, that’s awesome 😎

Hmmmm, Electronic Mutt?

😂 I know the feeling. Sometimes I sound like hip hop, sometimes techno, sometimes house, sometimes jazz, sometimes lofi, sometimes dancehall 😂

• edited April 2021

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@AudioGus said:

Oh wow, that’s awesome 😎

Hmmmm, Electronic Mutt?

😂 I know the feeling. Sometimes I sound like hip hop, sometimes techno, sometimes house, sometimes jazz, sometimes lofi, sometimes dancehall 😂

In my mind I essentially combine a bunch of things that I probably wouldn’t be able to really make well at all in their respective genres. So I just combine a handful of lazy, failed components together and tell myself I am being ironically clunky. But really it is just a scam. ;)

• Play stuff and see what happens. Be happy to have played a musical instrument even if nothing new results from it.

That’s about it for me.

• @michael_m said:
    Play stuff and see what happens. Be happy to have played a musical instrument even if nothing new results from it.

That’s about it for me.

Gotcha!
    What inspires you?

• @michael_m said:
    Play stuff and see what happens. Be happy to have played a musical instrument even if nothing new results from it.

That’s about it for me.

🎖️

• man I just get down in front of ipad load up some random synths drums effects maybe sequencer hit the transport play and do my thing. i get lost in it record the result. most are shit so I delete but every 10 jams a week if I get 1 or2 good ones - that is 1album a month. does it need be more complicated than that?