Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Making a seamless audio loop isn't possible: discuss.

Hello everyone

My first post is bound to attract a bit of criticism, but I'm willing to take the flack as I've just got to throw this out there for everyone's feedback, so here goes...

I'm a bit frustrated that we still don't have an app that's dedicated to audio/sample manipulation like Sony Soundforge or Steinberg Wavelab. It's such a pain and struggle to make a loop that doesn't have a gap, pop or crackle where it starts/loops. I know BeatMaker2 is good, but it's far from being the total solution I'm sure a lot of us crave for.

Please can anyone tell me how to get anywhere near what this chap achieves in Soundforge, but only using ipad apps...

Very many thanks
noodldoodl.

Comments

• I cut my loops in Twisted Wave

• If you're talking about the zoom-in/fade-in/fade-out part of the video (where he is doing it to avoid clicks), you can do it pretty much on every iOS DAW (Cubasis/Auria,BM2, Nanostudio).

• Or, just leave the clicks, pops, and warts in there and make millions like the Beastie Boys. I believe that app was called "vinyl records and magnetic tape"!

• I make loops every day in Beatmaker 2 that are seamless and have zero crackles, pops, etc. Your issue is not the issue of others.

• edited April 2014

BeatMaker 2 has a crossfade function that's helpful. Hokusai Audio Editor has a crossfade ability as well.

Edit: On a related note, the iDensity granular synthesis app is really very useful for creating much longer samples from short samples. It can take some experimenting but it's a really powerful app. You can't get Paulstretch on iOS, but iDensity is the next best thing.

• I'm not sure I'm understanding what the problem is meant to be here?

The workflow in the video can be replicated in multiple iOS Apps. The easiest I can think of is exporting the triple region mixdown from your chosen DAW to Audioshare and using its force selection to tempo function to help locate the start and end of the central region when cropping. Then export to wherever you fancy with all reverb tails and delays intact.

• There is no audio editor in iOS that does crossfade loop editing easily. Sure BM2 has a "process" function that you can calculate a crossfade, but there is no preview and getting sounds in and out of the program is not real smooth, at least for me. Hokusai is a lot more accessible ("open in"), but the crossfade is limited to 10% of the waveform or more.
    Twisted wave desktop version has a crossfade but not their iOS version. I've brought it up before and asked around but not much interest in it. Recording into Loopy generally results in a pop-less loop and that's a good place for your loops to be anyway. But yes, loop editing in iOS is not real advanced. Unless you're into glitch.

• edited April 2014

Whoa, nice tip @Skipp, thanks

• Thanks for your comments, they're appreciated. I also recognise that this will not be insurmountable for some, but for me it's a bind, hence the topic's title.

I have gotten decent results in BM2, but I'll be honest and say I'm not the most proficient using this app and will be going back to it with the intention of investigating the crossfader function.

I will also have a look at the force selection to tempo option in Audioshare.

Kind regards.

• edited April 2014

Not sure if BM's editor has it but NanoStudio's wave editor allows you to fluidly zoom way way in horizontally and vertically on the waveform so you can ensure your start/stop is on or as close to a zero-crossing as possible. If you can't quite get it to a zero-crossing, micro fades are easy to do at that zoom.

That said, I'm with the OP and @smeeth. iOS is still lacking a dedicated kick ass two-track audio editor. Twisted wave and Hokusai are fine apps and well worth the asking price but they both lack a lot of features that were in Goldwave 1.0 circa 1997.

• I've messed with sample editing in NanoStudio and Beatmaker 2. They each have one major quality over the other.

• Beatmaker 2 will let you get way more exacting about your start/stop points than NanoStudio.

• NanoStudio lets you zoom the waveform vertically (like an MPC).

With that said, I'd kill to get vertical zoom on BM2, but its lack hasn't caused me problems in getting seamless loop. I'd definitely take BM2 over NanoStudio for sample editing on iOS. As well, the sampler/audio track function on BM2 is a lot better.