Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Setting up new output kills my inputs

I'm using a brand new iPad Air 4, a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK, Audiobus and Multitrack DAW (both 5 and 6).

Yesterday, I was able to use all this together, and set up a route in Audiobus to take the stereo out from Multitrack DAW and send that out channel 11-12 on the 12 MTK as that's what the board uses for the stereo output.

It all worked great. Then late last night I upgraded the iPad to iPadOS 14.4.2. That's the ONLY thing I changed.

Today, I went to track some drums and...that same setup kills the inputs. Meaning as SOON as I add Multitrack DAW to a workflow in Audiobus, I no longer get any signal into MDAW from the 12MTK (no meters bouncing at all). If I remove everything from Audiobus and quit it, MDAW meters bounce like they should when I play my drums. Add it back into Audiobus and...nothing, no meters bouncing. Output works, in that if I had something already recorded in MDAW and hit play, I can hear it out through the 12MTK if I've added the routing in Audiobus.

So, yesterday I could record and hear. Today, all I can do is hear, or not use Audiobus and record but not hear. This happens with both v5 and v6 (came out this morning) of Multitrack DAW.

Has anyone run into this? I'm wondering if 14.4.2 introduced a bug or something.

Thanks!

Comments

• You didn't change anything, like switching to headphones instead of the internal speakers? For instance, if you have an interface like the MTK plugged in, then you plug in earbuds that have a microphone, the earbud mic takes over as the audio input. Whatever audio input is plugged in last wins. So if that was the case, unplugging and replugging the MTK would fix it.

From your description it doesn't sound like that's the case, but I've been flummoxed by that one before so I thought I'd mention it.

The starting order of apps can be important too. Maybe try starting MTS first before Audiobus. Or the other way around if that doesn't work.

• I haven't done anything that I can track down. That's the weird thing. Remove Audiobus, meters bounce in MDAW. Add it back, output is fine, but no meters in MDAW any more.

• What happens if you route the input into MTD from Audiobus, as well as the output?

• I tried that. I set up 1 chain for each input, with each MTK input channel on the left, and then MTD on the right. Then in MTD I chose each of those as the input for each channel. Nothing. I'll try again later today when I've got more time.

• I gave up and did what I should have done to start: I bought AUM. It works without needing Audiobus even. Side note: why GarageBand doesn't let you choose usb outputs I have no idea, it would have saved me loads of trouble from the start.

• @imperfectdrummer Just for clarity, which iPadOS version were you using before updating to 14.4.2?