Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Procession into Damascus"

I made 3 Moziac Sequence scripts then added Funk Drummer + Mid East Drummer.
Then I played some Noise presets over the top. The Mid East Drummer pulls it towards
the Middle East.

Comments

• Wow, This is beautiful @McD! I’d love to know a little more about the Mozaic bits. Maybe something shareable for patchstorage?

Mideast Drummer definitely does the amazing job of actually sounding like a geographical location. That and Funk Drummer are two that I still need for my collection. This amazing piece right here showcases these two very well.

• Very well done. The atmosphere is perfect. It sounds like live instruments to my ears. I’ve gotta dig more into these drum apps.

• Great production values. Excellent music. You’re getting better.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

@Intrepolicious said:
    Wow, This is beautiful @McD! I’d love to know a little more about the Mozaic bits.

I added Knobs since making this music. I'll probably add user inputs for the 4 PADS and the X-Y widget. I think I'll move the transpose to the PADs and use Knob 1 for "Sequence Length".

Knob 1 = transposes
    Knob 2-9 = Notes in a sequence of 8
    Knob 10 = PPQN (Notes per Metronome "Tick")

1. Load up 3-4 Mozaic instances and tweak the knobs... assign each Moziac instance to a separate app on channel 1.
    2. Add drums.
    3. Jam with a keyboard.
    4. Add FX as desired... delays are useful to add even more rhythmic complexity.
    5. Season to taste.

@OnLoad

SetMetroPPQN 1
      index = 0
      Channel = 0
      root = 36
      transpose = 0
      Sequence = [0, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12]
      Volume = [90, 50, 50, 90, 50, 50, 90, 50]
      Hold = [50, 50, 200, 50, 50, 50, 200, 50]
      Length = 8

@End

@OnMidiInput

Log {MIDI Instruction+Channel: }, MIDIByte1, { Note: }, MIDIByte2, { Velocity: }, MIDIByte3

@End

@OnMetroPulse

// Log {Tick}

Note = root + transpose + Sequence[index]

SendMidiNoteOn Channel, Note, Volume[index]
      SendMidiNoteOff Channel, Note, 0, Hold[index]

Inc index
      if index = Length
      index = 0
      endif

@End

@OnKnobChange

if LastKnob = 0
      transpose = GetKnobValue 0
      transpose = Round (TranslateScale transpose, 0,127, -12,12)
      Log {Transpose: }, transpose
      LabelKnob 0, transpose
      endif

if LastKnob = 1
      temp = GetKnobValue 1
      Sequence[0] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 0, Sequence[0]
      endif

if LastKnob = 2
      temp = GetKnobValue 2
      Sequence[1] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 2, Sequence[1]
      endif

if LastKnob = 3
      temp = GetKnobValue 3
      Sequence[2] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 3, Sequence[2]
      endif

if LastKnob = 4
      temp = GetKnobValue 4
      Sequence[3] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 4, Sequence[3]
      endif

if LastKnob = 5
      temp = GetKnobValue 5
      Sequence[4] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 5, Sequence[4]
      endif

if LastKnob = 6
      temp = GetKnobValue 6
      Sequence[5] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 6, Sequence[5]
      endif

if LastKnob = 7
      temp = GetKnobValue 7
      Sequence[6] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 7, Sequence[6]
      endif

if LastKnob = 8
      temp = GetKnobValue 8
      Sequence[7] = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 0, 24)
      LabelKnob 8, Sequence[7]
      endif

if LastKnob = 9
      temp = GetKnobValue 9
      ppqn = Round (TranslateScale temp, 0,127, 1, 9)
      LabelKnob 9, ppqn
      SetMetroPPQN ppqn
      endif

@End

Mideast Drummer definitely does the amazing job of actually sounding like a geographical location. That and Funk Drummer are two that I still need for my collection. This amazing piece right here showcases these two very well.

Luis Martinez makes great drum apps. No doubt. I have the whole set.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Great production values. Excellent music. You’re getting better.

Thanks. It's been a couple years now and I'm using techniques that involve more typing and app constructing than actual "playing".

• Here's another one using 2:3 polyrhythms...

• Awesome. I mean to say this as a compliment, this music sounds like the main theme of a blockbuster video game, like Prince of Persia or something. It’s like the holding pattern music of a choose your own adventure. Good production and audio quality.

• edited March 2021

You may have found your metier, McD. I’m sending you a burnoose. Remember this from our collaborating two years ago? I think we’ve both covered some ground since, but the seed was there.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Awesome. I mean to say this as a compliment, this music sounds like the main theme of a blockbuster video game, like Prince of Persia or something. It’s like the holding pattern music of a choose your own adventure. Good production and audio quality.

Thanks. I keep hearing music while watching TV and thinking "I need to try and make something like that." When I hear something coming out of the AUM mix I get that same feeling... "this sounds like film music." but video games are also getting great scores. That's
    one addiction I managed to avoid... video games. Good thing too due to my carpal tunnel
    issues.

• @LinearLineman said:
    You may have found your metier, McD. I’m sending you a burnoose.

I discovered a Moroccan groove tutorial video called the Chaabi:

I'm going to keep hacking on my Mozaic script until I can get it set up to play a Chaabi.
    I love music that confuses my Western Music Educated brain. "Where's ONE?" Indeed.

• Yogev Gabay... wow, what a great teache.

• @McD said:
    Then I played some Noise presets over the top. The Mid East Drummer pulls it towards
    the Middle East.

Both tracks are incredible, wish I had your skills, or at least half of them. I can clearly see how these tracks develop from your colab with @LinearLineman another excellent musician. Keep on doing what you are doing it is total ear candy.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2021

@Toastedghost said:

@McD said:
    the Middle East.

Both tracks are incredible, wish I had your skills, or at least half of them. I can clearly see how these tracks develop from your colab with @LinearLineman another excellent musician. Keep on doing what you are doing it is total ear candy.

Thanks for the stimulus to keep pushing out new stuff.

Trust me... hearing musicians and wanting their skills just comes with the ticket. It's all programming your brain with your actions. Talent is just a measure of focused effort. There are geniuses locked away in private spaces coding their future. They will make it all look like magic... and that's also some slight of hand to impress others.

My skill is in the programming combined with music theory education while @LinearLineman's uses his brain for the run-time behaviors.

Except for the solo instruments over the top, it's just setting up 5 Moziac scripts in AUM and turning knobs.

The script keeps evolving with good results.

I added a feature where knobs set to max (127) make the sequence drop that note to create syncopations. I need this for the Chaabi groove.

For Chaabi, I need to add is longer default sequences and a knob to control sequence length. That's going to push me to a SHIFT-ed page with more knobs. This happens every time. My scripts get longer and longer with feature requests. Maybe I should just code a Chaabi script and keep the 8 note script as is.

I added PAD code for root note transpositions (root, 3rd, 4th, 5th) and XY pad code for Volume+Note_Length.

• Most of these two projects are knob, pad and key events using 5 Moziac scripts for sequences.